Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 PM

43 posts, read 102,748 times

Advertisements

you should be fine, no real drama like that up here. Enjoy yourself, could be a great experience for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,149,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I knew Little Burgundy was a big center for Montreal's Black population. I didn't know there were Pullman Porters in Montreal.
Yes, the Pullman Porters and their families could almost be said to be original black community in Montreal. They have since been vastly outnumbered by Haitians and others from the Caribbean, and more recently by francophone Africans.

Black Montreal today has a mostly francophone vibe, centred on the dual main "poles" which are Haiti and francophone Africa. Although there is also a smaller black anglo vibe, with different "poles" as well: African-American, (anglo) Caribbean, anglo subsaharan African...

Though many of the "anglo" origin blacks in Montreal are now decidedly francophone in their leanings for some reason.

Some notable examples:

Gregory Charles (of Trinidadian origin):

Belle et Bum - Gregory Charles - Si tu m'aimes encore - YouTube

Charles Biddle Jr (of African-American origin):

Joe Bocan et Charles Biddle Jr. - YouTube

Normand Brathwaite (of Jamaican origin):

Normand Brathwaite, récipiendaire du prix « Artisan de la Fête nationale » pour 2009 - YouTube

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,547,880 times
Indeed, although when people talk about "Black" culture, they're really talking about African American culture, not the traditions of other racially black peoples. That said, Montreal has a large, thriving Hip Hop music and dance scene, supported in large part from non-black enthusiasts, although the old African American descended community shouldn't be discounted, it's an important force in that scene. One hopes he won't have to go as far as Canada to dance often though, I hope there's some sort of studio in Vermont.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM

166 posts, read 442,295 times
Live in the Burlington area if you can. Avoid Barre at all costs. You do not want to live in Barre. Burlington is where all the nightlife is. If your single girls are 2 to 1 in Burlington. They dont call it Girlington for no reason. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 AM

93,927 posts, read 124,698,945 times
Here is some Montreal clubs you may be interested in: Montreal Dance - Montreal Night life - Montreal Hip Hop

As for Black culture, it could mean aspects from the Caribbean or directly from Africa. Keep in mind that many cities/areas in the US have diverse Black communities too.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:28 PM

73,147 posts, read 62,828,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, the Pullman Porters and their families could almost be said to be original black community in Montreal. They have since been vastly outnumbered by Haitians and others from the Caribbean, and more recently by francophone Africans.

Black Montreal today has a mostly francophone vibe, centred on the dual main "poles" which are Haiti and francophone Africa. Although there is also a smaller black anglo vibe, with different "poles" as well: African-American, (anglo) Caribbean, anglo subsaharan African...

Though many of the "anglo" origin blacks in Montreal are now decidedly francophone in their leanings for some reason.

Some notable examples:

Gregory Charles (of Trinidadian origin):

Belle et Bum - Gregory Charles - Si tu m'aimes encore - YouTube

Charles Biddle Jr (of African-American origin):

Joe Bocan et Charles Biddle Jr. - YouTube

Normand Brathwaite (of Jamaican origin):

Normand Brathwaite, récipiendaire du prix « Artisan de la Fête nationale » pour 2009 - YouTube
I know about the Underground Railroad leading Black slaves to Canada, particularly to Ontario. I also know there are descendants of slaves in Nova Scotia. I never knew about Pullman Porters going to Montreal because I always assumed they were only in the USA. It would not surprise me if there were descendants of American Blacks in Montreal. The Underground Railroad led Black slaves to freedom in Canada, and I would be inclined to believe that they went to Quebec as well. In fact, I have a link about the Champlain line of the Underground Railroad: NCUGRHA - People & Places - Champlain Line

I find it interesting about the francophone leaning about many English-speaking Blacks in Quebec. If this is the case, I know less about Quebec and Montreal than I thought. I know there is a history between Anglophones and Francophones in Quebec. I always thought English-speaking Quebec residents would have a francophone leaning.

Me personally, I am Black, English-speaking, and American. If I ever were to go to Quebec, I would try to use my French as much as possible. I thought about that when you mentioned some of this information.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 AM

93,927 posts, read 124,698,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know about the Underground Railroad leading Black slaves to Canada, particularly to Ontario. I also know there are descendants of slaves in Nova Scotia. I never knew about Pullman Porters going to Montreal because I always assumed they were only in the USA. It would not surprise me if there were descendants of American Blacks in Montreal. The Underground Railroad led Black slaves to freedom in Canada, and I would be inclined to believe that they went to Quebec as well. In fact, I have a link about the Champlain line of the Underground Railroad: NCUGRHA - People & Places - Champlain Line

I find it interesting about the francophone leaning about many English-speaking Blacks in Quebec. If this is the case, I know less about Quebec and Montreal than I thought. I know there is a history between Anglophones and Francophones in Quebec. I always thought English-speaking Quebec residents would have a francophone leaning.

Me personally, I am Black, English-speaking, and American. If I ever were to go to Quebec, I would try to use my French as much as possible. I thought about that when you mentioned some of this information.
Don't forget about the Loyalists too. Quebec's Eastern Townships has a long time Black history: Slavery in Saint-Armand | Townships Heritage WebMagazine

Emancipation Festival - Black History - Early Black Canadian*History

Wandering At Will in Québec’s Eastern Townships « The Philosophical Traveller (7th paragraph)

The Blacks in Canada: a history - Robin W. Winks - Google Books

Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 PM

459 posts, read 1,038,290 times
Vt has loads of issues, but you're more likely to encounter boredom than racism. I guess there are racists everywhere, but it doesn't seem to be a major issue here.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 PM

53 posts, read 136,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Dude...
You sound like a level-headed guy. You will do fine. I'm a white guy with interracial marriages and children on both sides and it's my opinion that it has always been fear and ignorance that makes people hateful.
Be nice to the haters and people will WANT to be your friend. No normal person wants to be racist. In fact, most people would love to say they have friends of all backgrounds.
Stay cool and always be the bigger man.
good luck in VT.

I grew up in the Baltimore area so my having a watchful eye for "trouble" is natural.

I assume the OP is going to be a recruiter as I don't know of any bases in VT. Take everyone on an individual basis, even the bouncer at the bar, even me.

Most of the dudes I was in the Army with were pretty decent. Some of the people I go to Church with are pretty friggin awesome.

What matters to me are people's outlook, their integrity and how they want to live their lives. If someone wants to deal drugs and shoot people and scum off of welfare then I don't want that person living near me. If you want to work hard, be an honest man and form a family then we'll get along just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont