Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,038,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I wasn't trying to be insulting expecting to wear 'overalls' to work or whatever. I just wanted to know how it worked. Everyone I have seen from real estate agents to office workers seem to be 'under-dressed' so I was wondering.

The same for farm stands. I expect farmers to get good money for their produce and hard work. I just know sometimes 'tourist' places do tend to overprice things. I was looking for authentic places--I do want to avoid tourist traps.

I appreciate your advice and comments, everyone of them.

Today we drove to Woodstock and saw a part of the town. It was very nice.
Woodstock is beautiful, and during leaf season it is packed. You may not have noticed, but the reason Woodstock is so nice is that there are no power lines. Everything is underground. It's not something that jumps out at you, but things are just nicer when you don't see them.

Bentley's is a nice place to eat. I like Woodstock in November, when it's spittin' snow and the leaves are gone, and it's blustery.

The Woodstock Inn has a great Sunday Brunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 11:52 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,939 times
I'll second The Woodstock Inn Sunday Brunch.... pricey but worth every penny.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
It's me, again.
I have to say I am so pleased with my son's school. They are on the ball big time. We just met with his teaching 'team' and they are doing so much to help him get used to school and get the services he needs (he's classified special ed).

I'm so happy that he's at this school and the staff has been so wonderful. I need something to 'go right' at the moment. (still suffering a bit of culture shock and trying to juggle 'job search' with my husband while being "Mommy").

Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,503,306 times
I'm so glad that something went so spectacularly right for you. I'm sure it makes things a bit easier. Hopefully, it is a good omen of good things to come.

Sounds like you are doing fine, even if you are not so comfortable yet.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:13 PM

Well, week one is done. My husband had 2 job interviews this week. Both jobs are 'temp' so he will still be looking for full-time if he takes either. The pay here is pretty amusing...I know you guys already told me...but it's hard to think a man is expected to feed his family on $10 an hour in the Vermont economy.
But it would be money coming in, so you have to deal with it until something else comes along.

I haven't had much time to send resumes and again, I have to be home for my son after and before school, and on breaks (so many school breaks..) If I managed to get a really good job, though, my husband would do some other work. I have the education in the family so 'potentially' I could earn more than he could.

I'm also thinking of trying to work from home or for myself so I don't have the problem with leaving my son, or being home in time for him. I may actually get serious and write something for publication.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 PM

I don't find it amusing at all. I find it upsetting, even though a temporary job will probably pay much less than a full-time job. And, once you are settled, you will have two incomes in your family.

I have read about the low salaries in Vermont, combined with the high cost of living, but your posts make the situation more emotionally real.

This is one of the things that are holding me back from moving, even though I am a health professional.

[Other things: adjusting to small town life and loss of city anonymity (although that might be a positive change); driving at night on unlit roads, with wildlife and, especially, icy conditions; being hours away from a major city; being hours away from the ocean (although, considering rising sea levels and increased danger from severe storms, that is not such a bad thing); stressing the cats, especially the diabetic one. Otherwise, my concerns are really just fear of the unknown, loss of the familiar, inertia, procrastination and fear of making a mistake. You know, the usual stuff ]

From a purely selfish perspective, I really value your posts, because you are living the experience of moving from the NYC area to Vermont. You are going through the process of shock, adjustment and acclimation. It's as if it's a rehearsal of sorts for me. I am observing to see how things play out for you, especially in the issues that concern me.

From a non-selfish perspective, I can see you are doing fine, even if you are not yet comfortable (I wrote that before, I know) and I am glad we on the forum are here to support you.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:29 AM

17 posts, read 66,824 times
Hi Gypsy
I can so relate to what you have going on with being outside of your comfort zone. We moved from the DC suburbs to upstate MI and into a little log cabin in the woods. I really went into culture shock! It took a good 6 months to start to feel ok about our new place even though intellectually we knew it was a great decision for all the "right" reasons. Now that the kids are in their teen yrs they cherish the way they spent their childhood, far from malls, helping with the gardening and raising chickens and goats, and their time spent wandering in big woods...It is amazing how your comfort zone will change over time. We lived in MI for 11 yrs 8 miles from the nearest town of 1000, way out in the woods. Now that we've been in a city for the last 5 yrs (MD) I still really miss my old comfort zone of woods and sky and wood stove heating, and long walks in the woods. I really feel hemmed in by all the people and houses!
I guess that's why I'm excited about my husband's job interview in Burlington next week! I want to be back to a more northern and snowy place that has countryside nearby. Also having more down to earth locals who know the meaning of working outside and being real. Where we live now it is very built up---much more than when we arrived and it is time for a change. I know that change is hard and it is never all roses, so don't give up. Just take it one day at a time. Breathe deep. Good luck to you and maybe if he gets the job we'll meet one of these days!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 AM

Great post, Jasperthebrave!

Arelthenotsobrave.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:49 PM

You guys continue to be so supportive. My husband was bucking me up again this morning. I just have a lot of issues being 'scared' about living my life thanks to my overprotective upbringing and not feeling confident about myself. I have a lot of education but haven't worked in a long time because I was the stay at home mom.

Today we went to the Fair and it was very cool, very interesting. Finally sat in a bit of traffic in Vermont (lol!). I kept saying to my husband how 'empty' the highway was compared with places in NY (always busy on the major highways). It's kind of nice.

Anyhow, off to do the chores I should have done this a.m. Arel, take a deep breath, and move up here in Spring...that gives you all 3 nice seasons till the next winter to worry about 'doing it!'

Old 09-16-2007, 03:47 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,038,407 times
When you went to the fair, did you come from Sharon or Bethel?

The reason is that at the Bethel-Royalton exit off I-89 is Eaton's Sugar House, which serves the best pancakes anywhere in the world. Honest to god, you cannot eat three of them. Two is more than most people can handle, they are so big. Blueberry, buttermilk, or buckwheat, or mix 'em up. Butter and all the real maple syrup you want. The best. I'm salivating just thinking about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont