Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 PM

444 posts, read 789,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Paul that is hysterical. I'm a liberal and proud of it. Not even close to being a Tea Partier. As a matter of fact I canvassed for Patrick Leahy way back when it was legal to shoot Democrats in VT and helped get the very first Democratic Senator from Vermont elected.
Good for you. I'm not that up to date on Patrick Leahy, but we do have Bernie Sanders bumper stickers. A lot of people in Washington probably think he's a crank when he's only trying to do his job the way they should: honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM

72 posts, read 99,954 times
FY, is Vermont really raking in some untoward amount of funds via the captive insurance program? Please provide evidence of that, thanks…

Before calling my posts "ludicrous".

Last edited by ladelfina; 08-20-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 PM

Default hah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
Tell me what would you do if you owned a house and it burned down, and you didn't have insurance?
Well, if I were a member of an Amish community, I would expect help in rebuilding, just as I would expect, myself, to help in rebuilding someone else's lost structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
What if your car was totalled in an accident, and it was your fault, and you severely injured another driver? Insurance is what allows the existence of a middle class in our society.
I eventually hope not to have a car at all, frankly. My immediate family plan, which will exercise itself within several weeks, is to winnow down from 3 cars to 1, and then eventually none.

That insurance is "what allows" for a middle class is a provocative statement that needs backing up.

Industrial-era ideologies work to alienate and atomize individuals. It needn't be that way.
When Irene struck, hundreds if not thousands of Vermonters came out to assist their neighbors, not asking for proof of insurance. This is an immediate example of what Charles Eisenstein calls "the better world our hearts know is possible".

Last edited by ladelfina; 08-20-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Ladelfina will have to defend herself.
I already have defended myself. If it were not Mitt Romney, it would be someone else taking advantage of the same system: the system that we plebes are encouraged to applaud and sustain despite its harm to us.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,386,008 times
Quote:
Good for you. I'm not that up to date on Patrick Leahy, but we do have Bernie Sanders bumper stickers. A lot of people in Washington probably think he's a crank when he's only trying to do his job the way they should: honestly.
Bernie ran for years and years before finally getting elected. I think he finally achieved the name recognition he needed. I don't always agree with him but he is one of the very few who approaches the task of representing his constituents with integrity and honesty.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I already have defended myself. If it were not Mitt Romney, it would be someone else taking advantage of the same system: the system that we plebes are encouraged to applaud despite its harm to us.
I agree with your basic idea, but you're talking in a domain that's conceptually unfamiliar to most Americans - the kind of thing that might get you called before Congress if Joseph McCarthy were still around. Paul Ryan, also from Wisconsin, is the most conservative vice-presidential candidate since the 19th century.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM

18,362 posts, read 26,570,273 times
Hehe, Coolidge makes all the modern Republicans look like liberals:

President Coolidge, 1st Presidential Film (1924)- YouTube

Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Hehe, Coolidge makes all the modern Republicans look like liberals
True enough, but guess what started the year he left office: the Great Depression.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:38 AM

18,362 posts, read 26,570,273 times
Quote:
True enough, but guess what started the year he left office: the Great Depression.
The federal reserve was more to blame. Coolidge and Harding prevented the Great Depression from starting around 1920ish. After WWI we had a severe recession that could have turned into the Depression. Harding and Coolidge cut the taxes significantly from Wilson's high rates and things rebounded. It's an almost unknown severe recession these days. When the market crashed in 1929, Hoover's response was to raise taxes, and it turned the recession into the Depression (even FDR denounced that response by Hoover).

Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The federal reserve was more to blame. Coolidge and Harding prevented the Great Depression from starting around 1920ish. After WWI we had a severe recession that could have turned into the Depression. Harding and Coolidge cut the taxes significantly from Wilson's high rates and things rebounded. It's an almost unknown severe recession these days. When the market crashed in 1929, Hoover's response was to raise taxes, and it turned the recession into the Depression (even FDR denounced that response by Hoover).
OK, we really are off topic now. It all depends on which economist you believe. According to the economist I believe, who has a Ph.D. from M.I.T. and a Nobel prize, lowering taxes on the wealthy has no correlation with improved economic growth. Similarly there is no evidence that trickle down theory works. Lowering taxes for people with ordinary incomes does have a stimulating effect. However, you can't expect lowering taxes to solve all problems unless you like disintegrated roads and bridges, increased crime, people dying prematurely for lack of health care, no military to keep out foreign invaders, etc. Everything is a trade-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont