Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,193,444 times

Advertisements

After moving from Houston to NH and then Vt , I kind of get the impression that VT is more set up for the people that are happy "to be". You don't necessarily have to "be doing this or that or going here or there"....I think the people happiest here are happiest within themselves. If you're seeking a lot of outside stimulation (other that that from the outdoors) you might be frustrated here. ( Ok, honestly it happens to me about twice a year.) But otherwise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
After moving from Houston to NH and then Vt , I kind of get the impression that VT is more set up for the people that are happy "to be". You don't necessarily have to "be doing this or that or going here or there"....I think the people happiest here are happiest within themselves. If you're seeking a lot of outside stimulation (other that that from the outdoors) you might be frustrated here. ( Ok, honestly it happens to me about twice a year.) But otherwise....
Your post is spot on. We're quite happy to "just be" on our front porch enjoying the view. Our relatives from NYC who need constant stimulation are bored when they come up while our friends who like to just relax love it here.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM

40 posts, read 114,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
In their defense, Vermont seems to show up in a bunch of magazine and news stories as "best places to live" for some odd reason. I never quite understood why as apart from a generally low crime rate and decent air quality (although it is manure scented part of the year) the state doesn't actually offer anything particularly special IMO. And it certainly has its drawbacks.

I wouldn't think it was ever particularly attractive to young people though. Even disregarding the job situation it has to be a tough singles market like any rural area is.
VT is attractive because it is beautiful, in the mountains, agriculturally fascinating (many things can grow seasonally in the micro climates), home to many artists, musicians, environmentally aware types, amazing restaraunts & craft beer spots, and is simply unique in every way. This is coming from someone who moved to PA and is dying to get out and back the the North east. I vacationed there recently in Stowe and the beauty practically brought me to my knees ( in mud season!). I lived there for 7 years previously, and try to remember why I left. It's an outdoor lover's paradise. If you are not interested in any of these things, you will probably hate it. With a vengeance. I'm not sure how anyone NOT interested in these things would ever end up in VT.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM

48 posts, read 107,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
In their defense, Vermont seems to show up in a bunch of magazine and news stories as "best places to live" for some odd reason. I never quite understood why as apart from a generally low crime rate and decent air quality (although it is manure scented part of the year) the state doesn't actually offer anything particularly special IMO. And it certainly has its drawbacks. I suppose if one showed up during the fall festivals in one of the well off resort towns for a vacation you might even believe it was that great due to myopia. But I would hope most people would at least run some numbers. Its certainly not the worst place to live or anything though, I just think some people expect it to be perfection when they show up and its really just another place with its own warts.

I wouldn't think it was ever particularly attractive to young people though. Even disregarding the job situation it has to be a tough singles market like any rural area is.
Decent air quality is worth a bundle. Check out the yellow cloud that's routinely positioned over Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, as well as many other Southern areas on a regular basis.

AIRNow - Homepage

Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 AM

914 posts, read 2,921,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamn View Post
Decent air quality is worth a bundle. Check out the yellow cloud that's routinely positioned over Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, as well as many other Southern areas on a regular basis.

AIRNow - Homepage
Why is that? I live in Northern California, and we have an odd phenomenon that occurs frequently. The Sierra Nevada foothills, which you'd think would be pristine with fresh, mountain air, have terrible pollution problems because the wind carries the pollution from the SF Bay Area eastward and it gets trapped in the mountain areas at the lower elevations. Could that be occuring in those southern areas you mentioned?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Why is that? I live in Northern California, and we have an odd phenomenon that occurs frequently. The Sierra Nevada foothills, which you'd think would be pristine with fresh, mountain air, have terrible pollution problems because the wind carries the pollution from the SF Bay Area eastward and it gets trapped in the mountain areas at the lower elevations. Could that be occuring in those southern areas you mentioned?
If I have my geography right the Ohio Valley runs through that entire area and is known to trap the air pollution. And there's a host of culprits that spans everything from all the coal burning power plants, industrial activity, auto emissions from Atlanta etc.

We stayed in Boone, NC, Chattanooga, TN, Knoxville TN, And Bristol TN/VA for a week or more each recently and as someone who has both asthma and severe sinus allergies, Boone was the only place that had decent air.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 AM

I'm waiting to do a visibility comparison on the mountains when we get up north in a couple of more weeks. In the Southwest VA/TN area the mountains constantly had a hazy appearance. And I'm sure at least some of that was pollution.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamn View Post
If I have my geography right the Ohio Valley runs through that entire area and is known to trap the air pollution. And there's a host of culprits that spans everything from all the coal burning power plants, industrial activity, auto emissions from Atlanta etc.

We stayed in Boone, NC, Chattanooga, TN, Knoxville TN, And Bristol TN/VA for a week or more each recently and as someone who has both asthma and severe sinus allergies, Boone was the only place that had decent air.
The Tennessee and Ohio valleys trap many pollutants, but I think the air quality may get better with all of the coal plants that have been shuttered in the past few years. Most plants are converting over to natural gas now. It won't make much of a difference in terms of air quality for large metros like Atlanta, though.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,446 times
The reality is most people believe the northeast or Northern New England has fresh clean air. Vermont’s Air Pollution Control Division looks at various levels of pollutants. From the state site, levels of benzene, formaldehyde, 1,3-butadiene, carbon tetrachloride, methylene chloride, chloroform, tetrachloroethylene, methyl chloride and 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene exist above the standards. Levels of ozone over the past few years have come very close to surpassing safe levels in Bennington and Underhill. It is widely believed that air pollution blowing in from large sources of coal burning plants in the Midwest contribute significantly to these high ozone readings. Looking at the NOAA map, Boston and even NYC have better air quality levels right now. The ozone level in NYC is half of Rutlands 22ppb vs 44ppb. I think this is the nature of the jet stream.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The reality is most people believe the northeast or Northern New England has fresh clean air. Vermont’s Air Pollution Control Division looks at various levels of pollutants. From the state site, levels of benzene, formaldehyde, 1,3-butadiene, carbon tetrachloride, methylene chloride, chloroform, tetrachloroethylene, methyl chloride and 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene exist above the standards. Levels of ozone over the past few years have come very close to surpassing safe levels in Bennington and Underhill. It is widely believed that air pollution blowing in from large sources of coal burning plants in the Midwest contribute significantly to these high ozone readings. Looking at the NOAA map, Boston and even NYC have better air quality levels right now. The ozone level in NYC is half of Rutlands 22ppb vs 44ppb. I think this is the nature of the jet stream.
Yes, we can thank the idiotic Midwest energy policy for the being a bad neighbor to all the downwind states and for an almost complete reliance on coal (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc). Hopefully, coal will be phased out in favor of natural gas, renewables, and energy efficiency.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-03-2012 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont