Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM

18 posts, read 29,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The USFWS locks gates on the roads to Lewis during mud season. I seem to recall a way around through Averill but the road was too far gone to try the last time I was up there. Maybe the roads won't be gated, but I'm doubtful. In the off chance they're open, you can't follow the directions GPS maps often give of simply going up Lewis Pond Road off of Rt. 105. You have to take Henshaw Rd. off 105, which splits eventually at a Y to Gore Road on the left (going to Avery's Gore) and 4 Mile Rd. on the right going into Lewis. Much further down 105, Stone Dam Road also works. McConnell Pond Rd. can be used too, but was real rough the last time I tried it. If you have the map book you bought, it will also show roads coming down from Averill. A lot of these roads, once they leave the Wildlife Refuge lands, are pretty poorly maintained as they're logging roads. It wasn't in Lewis or Averill, but in Ferdinand last summer I found a road had a bridge entirely washed away, so I had to turn around and take a long convoluted detour. Good luck though, Lewis is a pretty interesting place. There's camps here and there along the roads, on leased but public land, but overall the place is a wilderness. The overlook on a clear day is stunning. If you're lucky, you may spot some wonderful wildlife too.

Route 105 goes through Ferdinand. It's the "main" road where there are a few houses and even powerlines. Some railroad tracks also cut through part of Ferdinand. Get off the highway and it gets pretty wild, no powerlines, nothing but a few scattered cabins. If the roads aren't blocked off or impassable. There are places off route 105 you can park at. There is a sign for the Moose Bog trail though it's easy to miss as you drive by. Eventually there's a boardwalk on the trail, but don't venture too close to the end of it as it's sort of floating on the bog and too much jumping could give you a chilly bath. lol In the summer there's carnivorous pitcher plants all over in the actual bog. If you stray into the boreal spruce/fir forest around the bog, there's a chance of seeing the spruce grouse, etc. This map of Wenlock WMA may help: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/lib...lock%20WMA.pdf

As a little historical aside, Wenlock was the name of a town that was chopped up and most of it went to Ferdinand, which finally gave Ferdinand a small population back in the 19th century. It's a little odd they cut up the town that had a population and not the unsettled wilderness of a town then. Some more interesting history, is that some of Rogers' Rangers followed the Nulhegan River in the area during the French and Indian War.. Some were killed nearby in some fighting.
Wow thanks that's a lot of good info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,963,581 times
Just in case you get a rainy day or two while here, you can drive up to Jay Peak and try out their new indoor water park (about 1/2 hour north on Rte 100 to 101 to 242) or tour the Ben & Jerry's plant in Waterbury. (about 1/2 hour south directly on Rte 100)

Mt. Washington is stunning. But keep in mind it might be 70 degrees at the base and only in the 30s on top so take appropriate clothing for winter conditions. You'll be glad you did. I would expect the Smugglers Notch Road to be open in late May as well as all other roads in the rural high country. Bring some good bug repellent.

And if anyone likes to shop, try the Forget Me Not clothing store in Johnson on Rte 15. Great deals there. Johnson woolen Mills is also on 15 in the middle of town for some great old fashioned Vermont wool coats & things. Kinda pricey, though. Maybe 20 minutes to get there.

Have a great stay and bring your camera - we want pics!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 29,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Just in case you get a rainy day or two while here, you can drive up to Jay Peak and try out their new indoor water park (about 1/2 hour north on Rte 100 to 101 to 242) or tour the Ben & Jerry's plant in Waterbury. (about 1/2 hour south directly on Rte 100)

Mt. Washington is stunning. But keep in mind it might be 70 degrees at the base and only in the 30s on top so take appropriate clothing for winter conditions. You'll be glad you did. I would expect the Smugglers Notch Road to be open in late May as well as all other roads in the rural high country. Bring some good bug repellent.

And if anyone likes to shop, try the Forget Me Not clothing store in Johnson on Rte 15. Great deals there. Johnson woolen Mills is also on 15 in the middle of town for some great old fashioned Vermont wool coats & things. Kinda pricey, though. Maybe 20 minutes to get there.

Have a great stay and bring your camera - we want pics!
Thanks for the info... I will be sure to have pics when the time comes

Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,897,485 times
I just went over the Long Trail from Mad River Glen to Mt. Ellen and it is actually pretty dry. It's either snow, ice or dry. We are probably looking at late May conditions right now!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,150,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
I second the silver lake hike! If you go in from The Goshen side and use the trail they have a big sign warning about bear encounters. Great picture opportunity! Hiked it many times and never seen one, but we always make enough noise to warn them of our approach. It's a beautiful area with primitive campsites and plenty of places for picnics.
how are the bugs there in late May?

i like hiking after the 4th of July

Old 07-29-2012, 07:18 PM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,696,767 times
Default Smuggler's Notch the month of September?

What do I need to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont