Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM

216 posts, read 565,314 times

Advertisements

Have written in previous posts about your perspective on VT areas as we try to plan out move back the Northeast. My wife's job offer is in WRJ so we assume a commute from NH would be fine. RE agent said my wife has to pay VT income taxes either way, so we might as well take advantage of slightly lower property taxes in VT and we could always drive across the border to do our shopping to save on sales tax. True? I guess a lot of people do. Politically speaking, VT is so much more liberal than NH we are told. I'm middle of the road on my political views, my wife is more conservative. She is leaning towards NH. Does a trip over the border matter that much politically? Schools are very important to us as are son is approaching school age. Anyone have any views on good, better, the same? We are looking at Weathersfield, West Windsor and Hartland areas of VT and Plainfield area of NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM

530 posts, read 1,341,595 times
I have lived in the Upper Valley for over twenty years, on both sides of the river, and I have found it to be basically the same cost on both sides. Lower property taxes in VT, no sales or income tax in NH. You do have to pay a minimum tax to VT every year if you claim you don't purchase any items tax-free online or in NH, and this is based on your income and is small compared to the savings when buying items online or in NH. Dartmouth is a huge influence, and I would describe the area as politically liberal. My son went to Plainfield elementary for 8 years, and we loved the school. Plainfield students go to Lebanon High, also an excellent choice. All the towns you describe are relatively close and fairly rural. Stay away from Windsor schools (I am not sure where West Windsor sends its students) if at all possible. I would vote for Plainfield in NH or Hartland in VT. One nice thing about Plainfield is the school is K-8, so no middle school horrors to deal with. My son graduated well prepared for college.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,652,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Have written in previous posts about your perspective on VT areas as we try to plan out move back the Northeast. My wife's job offer is in WRJ so we assume a commute from NH would be fine. RE agent said my wife has to pay VT income taxes either way, so we might as well take advantage of slightly lower property taxes in VT and we could always drive across the border to do our shopping to save on sales tax. True? I guess a lot of people do. Politically speaking, VT is so much more liberal than NH we are told. I'm middle of the road on my political views, my wife is more conservative. She is leaning towards NH. Does a trip over the border matter that much politically? Schools are very important to us as are son is approaching school age. Anyone have any views on good, better, the same? We are looking at Weathersfield, West Windsor and Hartland areas of VT and Plainfield area of NH.
If your income is higher, NH is the obvious choice. Also, NH has a wide range of towns to choose from depending on the amenities and services you want. Tax rates vary quite a bit from 13.00 to 31.00 per thousand. Croydon is the lowest taxed town in the Upper Valley while Claremont is the highest taxed town. NH also retains its population and grows businesses and new ones at a fairly good rate compared to much of VT.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,059 times
Keep in mind that in Vermont, if your income is 90K or under you qualify for a property tax rebate. So...when looking at potential homes and their property taxes, keep that in mind (assuming income will be below that #.
From the Special Report on Vermont Real Estate Taxes:
"Primary homeowners with incomes up to
$90,000 now qualify for the tax break, and some
homeowners with household incomes up to
$106,000 qualify for a partial tax break."
http://www.vermontrealestatetoday.com/newsletter/2011-Special-Report-on-Vermont-real%20estate-taxes.pdf (broken link)
You also will not pay any personal property taxes on boats, cars etc. Car registration is much more expensive in NH.
It all comes out in the wash. Choose which area you feel more comfortable in.
Good luck!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,145,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Also, NH has a wide range of towns to choose from depending on the amenities and services you want.
where Vermont has only three towns and they're all the same

Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,179,921 times
The Upper Valley is one of the more left-leaning parts of NH; you won't notice a difference just by crossing the border. On the other hand, nowhere is politically monolithic and this is not the kind of place where you'll be ostracized for having different opinions from others, unlike in other rural parts of the country. "Live and let live" is pretty much the dominant philosophy.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:27 AM

530 posts, read 1,341,595 times
Yes, the property tax rebate is a significant advantage in Vermont. I retired last year and saw my tax bill drop from $2700 to a little over $700!

I would think that you would want to rent for the first year, to make sure that you like the area as well as deciding where to live. You will find the local paper helpful:

Valley News ~ The News Source of the Upper Valley

This little paper is published on Fridays and has rentals listed:

http://www.itsclassified.com

Dartmouth also publishes a rental housing list:

Dartmouth Real Estate Office

Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,973,936 times
Our cows are prettier!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM

53 posts, read 87,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Our cows are prettier!
True.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,497,774 times
Just read some of the posts on both the VT and NH forum. It will be pretty clear which state people prefer to live in:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...pressions.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...iving-new.html

I love VT, which is why I visit this forum, but for me, living there is a little unrealistic unless your independently wealthy and love paying for social services. For me its a great place to vacation.

NH on the other hand is also a great place to vacation but also a great place to live. a lot more amenities and jobs in the southern part of the state. NH has something for everyone, from the seacoast, to the lakes to the mtns to the great north woods. politics are very libertarian (Live Free or Die mentality and we like to keep it that way. so if you want to come here pushing nanny type laws like seat belt laws then VT may be a better place for you.

Like another poster said property taxes in NH vary greatly from town to town. but it all really comes down to schools, if you want to be in an excellent school district, you will pay more. but in the long run its probably still cheaper then VT (no sales tax, no income tax, etc)

VT and NH are really two very different animals. This forum can be a great resource so read up and it will help you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont