Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:11 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
If you are not a contractor will you get a loan to build? I'm not sure.
I got a construction loan from northfield savings bank that will convert into a 30 year loan when we are done. I couldn't afford to build with cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM

168 posts, read 285,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i would just allow plenty of time to get the plan done and approved. if you are using an architect, i'm sure they would provide some suggestions as well.
Your raise a good point - in an ideal world, we'd build in spring & summer of 2017.

So we're anticipating the following rough timeline - feedback welcome on this:

* start contacting architects and design/builders in early 2016 (late winter, when they might be slow)
* get a topographic survey spring 2016 (when grass low, and we know what architects would need)
* settle on an architect, or design/builder, in late summer 2016
* presumably at that time, start contacting people about septic design & well placement, as by then we'll know where the house goes and roughly how big it will be
* start vetting contractors in fall, 2016 (unless we are using a design/builder, of course)
* start exploring construction loans in fall 2016 (once we have a decent estimate of costs, and the plans are far enough along for the bank to review)

Again, any feedback welcome! In general I over-think things, but I want to make sure we're being realistic, and not missing anything important.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:26 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
You want a septic permit in hand before anything else if you want plumbing in your house. That dictates the location of the house on the lot and even if it will be buildable. The only permit I'll need to worry about on the land I bought in the Northeast Kingdom is the state septic permit if I want plumbing since there's no zoning, but I'm probably less concerned about plumbing for a primitive cabin than you are with your house. I'd have it in hand before even closing on the lot in your case.

After that you need to do a well. The septic needs to be a certain distance from that, and wells drilled close to each other can go to surprisingly different depths. Then worry about house design and fitting it into the restrictions imposed by well and septic locations.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:33 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
I just created a new thread on costs to build new in rural VT, then I came across this thread. So I thought I would refresh this thread again. Reading though this thread I saw costs of $167-$250 a sf if someone were to hire everything out (the one person who said $127 a sf said they put a ton of their own sweat equity in worth $40 sf - so $167sf total). I'm not sure if these figures include everything single last thing except land (grading, dig foundation, septic, well, power, driveway, etc...)? In my case this would be on a 70 acre parcel already owned. Curious the the range in total costs out the door. From a very basic cabin/cottage to maybe a cape. Smaller, definitely less than 2,000sf maybe even 1,500.

Joe Moving, did you finish your house? What were your final costs per sf for everything but the land? And advice for anything you would do different if could do all over again? And same question for everyone else...total cost to build per sf when you were finished? Do anything different if could do again?

Old 08-26-2016, 02:24 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
right around $200/sq ft not including the land and includes pretty much everything from engineering and permits down to appliances. I would say our finishes are solidly mid range (or some lower, some nicer).

We used Huntington Homes (modular ), mainly because i had a hard time dealing with all of the cost unknowns of a stick built home Plus their reputation for very energy efficient homes. It was a pretty easy process and we are happy with the quality of the work. Efficiency Vermont came in and tested our house and gave us a 5+ star rating upon completion (a part of this is the appliance and heating choices we made but a good part is the windows, insulation and air sealing that Huntington does). Also, the banks make it easy to work with Huntington because they know the house will get done and be worth what they estimate. The whole thing was 6 months from first time the excavator showed up on Day 1 until move in. And it is water tight on day 1. I see houses around here they have been building for a year, shoveling snow out of the open 2nd floor ... not what I want to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont