Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 28,898 times

Advertisements

My daughter is considering Lyndon College in Vermont. I am very interested in knowing about the area. I personally love the Northeastern part of the US. I was born in Hartford and I often think of returning to the area. However, my daughter was born in Ohio (k-8th grade there) and completed high school in Texas. Here elementary years were at a private Catholic school...about 300-400 students total (rough estimate). In Texas she attends an early college program...next year her graduating class will be 61 (this is what she told me yesterday). The class started around 100 with several students dropping out because they couldn't handle the program. Next year she will be both a high school graduate and have and Associate of Arts degree. I have googled information about the school and the area. The thing I came across the most is the HEROIN problem there!!!!! Any thoughts please. Also, it seems the state is not very diverse. Any thoughts about this as well (we are black). Also, if anyone could comment on the school I would greatly appreciate it. Visiting is not an option...I am a single parent and funds are limited. She is interested in Music business/industry program (took me a while to accept this because she was going to major in Arabic/Middle Eastern Studies/National Security...however I am now fully on board with her pursuing of her passion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,080 times
We are in the area and while the area is perfect for very outdoorsy types capable of finding their own entertainment (ie nature etc.) that can also lead to bordom in the younger generation. Bored kids in their teens and 20s can lead to various not so good "activities". As for diversity, Lyndonville and Lyndon are in the NEK, while I wouldn't say it is loaded with racism I would say it isn't exactly a hotbed of diversity and some of the folks like it that way. If you dig a little deeper into the people in the NEK you will find outstanding character in them, their skeptical eye towards "outsiders" is driven primarily by outside ideas rather than race, based on my close circle of friends.

Lyndonville is the supporting town for the college and it is a nice northern VT town, but a visit is worth a thousand words.

Also, people will tell you about how long winter is etc. I personally love winter and find the VT winter easier to deal with than the southern New England crapfest I work in each year.

Of course, that is just one man's opinon.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Only a short drive to Vermont's best town: Lewis (pop. zero).

I like that area quite a bit. A person needs to be into the outdoors or perhaps into things like reading, rather than the things you might do in a city, as it's a very rural area. That's probably the source of the drug issue with some people who can't handle being in such a rural place.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM

353 posts, read 1,001,096 times
Just to add....it could be a bit of culture shock for your daughter. The population is low and there is little "entertainment", the drug problem is every where so I wouldn't worry about that. Also, while Ohio has some "winter" and Texas even less, the Northeast Kingdom, the location of Lyndon can and does have some LONG cold winters.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Am_I_Here View Post
Just to add....it could be a bit of culture shock for your daughter. The population is low and there is little "entertainment", the drug problem is every where so I wouldn't worry about that. Also, while Ohio has some "winter" and Texas even less, the Northeast Kingdom, the location of Lyndon can and does have some LONG cold winters.
The first visit I made to the NEK was a stop in Lyndon in January. With an air temperature of -30F that was a bit of a shocker, but I had the proper gear. I don't think they've even seen temperatures that cold since 2004 there.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM

166 posts, read 441,531 times
Vermont's colleges are some of the most expensive in the U.S. I would look elsewhere as other states can offer a far better education for a fraction of the cost. Google Vermont and expensive college to get a idea

Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK1 View Post
Vermont's colleges are some of the most expensive in the U.S. I would look elsewhere as other states can offer a far better education for a fraction of the cost. Google Vermont and expensive college to get a idea
I disagree. My son graduated last year from Vermont Tech and the cost was the same as any equivalent state college in the northeast, less in some cases. He landed a job in Boston after graduation making excellent money. He did very well going to a Vermont state college.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
I'm not sure if cost is of any concern for the OP, but for many reasons, VT schools are on the pricey side. This includes VTC. Just looking at average data they need to report, the average cost of attendance is: In-state: $22,852 Out-of-state: $32,572. The average tech college cost is just around $14,000/yr.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:12 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I'm not sure if cost is of any concern for the OP, but for many reasons, VT schools are on the pricey side. This includes VTC. Just looking at average data they need to report, the average cost of attendance is: In-state: $22,852 Out-of-state: $32,572. The average tech college cost is just around $14,000/yr.
Including room and board? I don't think $22k is much different for tuition and room and board than most state colleges. This is what NH state students will pay next year:

Students at Keene State and Plymouth State would pay $21,538 and $21,550, respectively. Not much different than the national average:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/26/pf/c...cost/index.htm

Vermont Tech is a state college.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Including room and board? I don't think $22k is much different for tuition and room and board than most state colleges. This is what NH state students will pay next year:

Students at Keene State and Plymouth State would pay $21,538 and $21,550, respectively. Not much different than the national average:

College tuition costs increase - Oct. 26, 2011

Vermont Tech is a state college.
The data I'm using comes from The Department of Education as reported from the National Center for Education Statistics. They show the average annual prices for undergraduate tuition, room, and board were estimated to be $12,804 at public institutions (VTC is considered public). I can't find the most recent chart, but this one is from last year. Fast Facts The 12,804 is for all institutions (two and four year), while a four year school only, averaged just over 14,000 as I quoted originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: