Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,862,293 times

Advertisements

I really doubt W'pi commutes. She probably owns and leases places all over and her place in Vt is perhaps not even her "primary" residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 PM

9,457 posts, read 11,214,016 times
Looks like Woopie like Nancy and hubby woopie too!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,166 times
Joe Perry has a house in Pomfret. I've sold groceries to him a couple times, he's super shy, and really short, I was surprised. But I think he got a personal shopper recently so he wouldn't have to go into town himself.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 29,053 times
I say who cares as long as they contribute to the community - unlike the many that own homes & are there very little so spend no money in the towns. Famous or not VT is flooded with outer-staters buying up property for vacation/occational visits. I think it's sad that most natives can't even afford anything as nice for their residences as these wealthy folks can for a play-houses.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:28 PM

84 posts, read 208,313 times
Out of staters contribute quite a bit to the VT economy. Local property taxes would skyrocket if not for the "second homes" added to the grand list valuations.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Out of staters contribute quite a bit to the VT economy. Local property taxes would skyrocket if not for the "second homes" added to the grand list valuations.
Very true. I was in Killington today, one of our "gold towns" and had the opportunity to have a nice conversation with an elderly business owner who has been in the region since the early 1960s. His great concern he stated is that there has been an obvious drop off in out of state money coming into the community. With our ever expanding budgets even the few celebs who buy a place here to hang their hat on visits will not feed the coffers to sustain our fiscal appetite. Of course we hear the chant to tax the rich, but research shows that other states who have resorted to this are actually beginning to see an erosion in the tax base. Some will dispute this, but it is in fact keeping people out and influencing people to leave who are part of the large percentile group in terms of paying taxes.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:56 PM

105 posts, read 358,264 times
The latest rumor around Bratt is that Whoopi's farm is up for sale. I guess keeping horses isn't cheap even for her. I saw her and her assistant in Cheshire Horse in Keene a couple of years ago. Actually I heard her before I saw her, no mistaking that voice, lol.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 PM

8 posts, read 29,053 times
Whoever wants to move into VT fine but I think VT's can be intimidated by them & seems like a lot of the changes & anti-industry are brought up & incorporated by out-of-staters. What I mean by natives being intimidated is I grew up in VT & then left so had an advantage but we didn't learn to talk, dress, write a resume, present ourselves in a professional manner. Not to say VT's aren't good people as a whole - they are. They are loyal, very hard-working, honest people - although stubborn. They do not get involved as much as they should (including myself) in politics. You have to have industry! Yes it can be controlled but to fight industry leaves folks without good jobs - or adults so the service jobs are taken by adults & where does that leave the teens? Dealing drugs? Or leaving the state? I will admit I no longer live in VT although I love the state & still would love to return I can't afford to live there. I go up to VT and because I am now considered a "flat-lander" I get a lot comments. But I have been in this situation I will explain many times - - I stopped at a store in southern VT & while checking out (the woman saw my out-of-state plates) I had a conversation with the woman. I asked her how she liked the town. I knew she wasn't a VT'r - we can just tell. She said oh I am from CT but have been up here for 10 yrs. It is a great town - well the people who have moved in but you have to watch those native types. I said, well what do you mean? She said you see there are two groups - the people who moved here and the natives. I said, yes. She said the native are a strange breed & she went on . . . . they are actually a bit crazy really. I said, do you think I am crazy? She looked at me wide-eyed and said, no. I said, well guess what - I am a native. She got all nervous & said but your plates. I said, yes well I can't afford to live her anymore but . . .
I have also been in situations where the jokes start about the "hicks". Oh I listen & then eventually I am asked about my accent & am I really from the state they meet me in? I say, no I'm a native VT'r. It is worth seeing the look on their faces.
I like to think I judge a person as an individual although I was at one time very narrow-minded. I feel "to each their own" but I do get offended by being referred to as a "hick" and dumb. No I didn't know what a bagel was until I was 23 yrs. old - won't tell you what I thought of these hard roll type things - lol. Didn't know what a resume was let alone write one when I travelled to the west coast & they were required in jobs I was applying for. I went to the library & educated myself. No I didn't know how to dress or present myself professionally but . . . I grew up with real, basic, good values. I was taught to work hard for what I wanted & to be proud of myself, my family & our property. I have worked in companies in VT that I actually had to tell locals I was a VT'r cause I was mistaken for an out-of-stater. I have gotten upset at VT'r cause of they are stubborn & won't try to fit & learn but I still have a problem with some of the changes coming about in my state. I am guilty myself for sure for not getting more involved. I hate some of the things that have happened to my state. The innocence of the young people being invaded by the "jive" group moving in which is intruging to our young folks, the drug problem, the binge drinking because of poverty (check the national statics). I know VT was into much farming in the day - especially the Champlain Valley where my Dad grew up but then the tourism business was strong. Unfortunately even the fight to keep the chains out the Mom & Pop shops are not owned by VTr's anymore but folks from out of state. It is a beautiful state for sure. And I am not so narrow minded I don't hear folks complain that they go to VT & feel like the VTr's just want them to spend their money & get the hell out - which is not nice. But . . . What is the answer? I personally don't think it so much is the issue of people moving in as a whole but the what I call "trust fund babies". The folks that move in that are independently wealthy & don't have to work & thus want to block all industry and any growth. I personally know what it was like as a young person in VT when you got a decent job & if you were told to come in Sat/Sun you did it knowing there was 25 people just waiting for your job. No that is not right but there weren't enough jobs. Then we gained some good industry & other outlets for jobs so fighting or driving them out? I obviously don't have the answers but if it continues the way it is going the drug problem, gang problem, domestic violence caused from poverty, etc. is just going to get worse & worse. What do you all think the answer is? What is your thoughts?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 AM

9 posts, read 21,146 times
Default Marlboro Vt & Whoopi

Whoopi sold her farm in Marlboro Vt. Marlboro has high quality schools plus Marlboro College, a very high quality small liberal arts college with a great library that can be accessed by the town residents. In the summer the world famous Marlboro Music Festival takes over the college campus for 8 weeks. No shortage of culture, arts, winter and summer mountain sports. 30 min to Mt. Snow for skiing. We can x-c ski out our back door on abutting 1500 acre preserve. Too bad we have to sell and move south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont