Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM

19 posts, read 98,483 times

Advertisements

GoldenHolden, I think I can sum up Vermonters with a story. My wife and I were in the grocery store in St Johnsbury looking at Tomato soup. An old woman saw us looking at one kind and she pointed out that the other was cheaper, and handed us her coupon. Good, solid no BS people.

Another example: Our real estate agent and some of his friends unpacked our truck and helped us set up all our furniture when we moved, for free, just to be helpful.

Another: When we had to move , quite suddenly, we still owed a water tax bill. We got the bill in the mail with a note saying how sad they were that we wouldn't be living there. We never met this lady, but she wrote us a note anyway.

Old Vermonters are face value and see right through all facades. New vermonters..... well they're a different story. Either rich new yorkers or alternative lifestylers (hippies, gays, those who dropped out of society, yuppies looking for a new lifestyle, retirees) The great thing is that the old vermonters accept them all. The people are the best part of the state, except maybe the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,867 times
I don't know about any of these people, who are not from Vermont, but I was born in Burlington, and raised "down south" in West Dover and Wilmington. Vermonters are cool, we truly live and let live. yeah, there are ignorant hicks everywhere, but quite honestly, my experience of people has been that they try people out first, and if your are whatever color, creed, religion, whatever the F-**, we will see what you are truly about and then make judgement.

The funniest story I have to tell about Vermont actually took place in CA, when I told one of my soon to be ex-employees "come visit me in Vermont." She was a black woman from Oakland, "I'd be afraid to find a cross burning on the lawn." I was shocked, but could only reply, "No, you're thinking of New Hampshire."

The best story is when the second-home owner KKK people decided to hold a rally here in Wilmington (back in the 80s), the locals said "screw that" and our Chief of Police, one Augustine Fernendez, led the charge to arrest anyone how was illegally carrying a firearm, and the local populace was out wth "go home KKK" banners. We have no need for such BS. This was not our wish, to have such a rally, and we made it clear that hate-mongers were not welcome in our town.

Are there backward people here in Vermont? Yes, but we are not hate-mongers. None of us are hate-mongers. We do have a lot of second home owners (50% of homes in Vermont are second homes), but the native population is willing to let good people be good people.

We can't speak for the other half who own homes here.

If they are a-holes, they have to live with that.

Hopefully, they will eventually get a place in New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont