Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,842,696 times

Advertisements

It's a myth that "flatlanders" get targeted , propagated by people from out of state who speed, many have "fuzzbusters. I guess this myth somehow vindicates the speeder.

Plenty of Green plates get speeding tickets too but it's the out of state drivers who do get the most tickets because during the weekends and holidays there are more out of staters than green plates out there. Secondly, driving in the Boston and NYC area it seems everyone speeds and it's basically accepted. My only guess if they can't assimlate to Vermont driving ways, they apparently can't read the numbers on the Vermont speed limit signs and correlate them with the numbers on their speedometer.

I realize it's a long drive for folks from away, coming up for the weekend, kids fussing, the 5 yo throws an ipod out the window, there isn't a Big Mac, Happy Meal for miles, the adults want a glass of wine or beer so bad they can taste it, but they still have 2 hours to go,etc. I don't know anyone who wants their fellow travelers to get a ticket, especially if it's a gray area ticket.

That guy the other day caught going 107 mph on I91, I think he was a visitor to Vermont. He definately was not targeted but I bet he tells everyone that he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,678,567 times
Vermont might have the friendliest drivers in the country. I worked very far from home and traveled a lot, by bicycle too, and I was always sort of shocked at how patient VT drivers were. It is easy to pick out jerks when everyone else is acting civil.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,041,706 times
FYI, I have Vermont plates. In fact, I was about to turn on to the road I live on, which probably would have helped me if the cop was from my town!

It's absolutely true that out-of-staters get ticketed more. I lived in Mass. for 4 years, and during that time (I had MA plates) I drove up to my Franklin County hometown where my parents still live, and I got a ticket then. In a place locals have ignored the 40 MPH limit for decades.

I do still have a little bit of the Mass. driver in me. I personally think of it as "assertive," and I can do it while generally being courteous. It's the only way to stay sane when driving your girlfriend all over Boston and making it look effortless. Apparently I should back off a little. I guess around here, coming to a complete stop usually means losing 2 seconds, not 5 minutes while waiting for people.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,386,008 times
I'm not sure if the cops target out of state plates so much as some out-of-staters don't take the speed limits seriously. There are a couple of stretches I drive regularly that I know full well are speed traps, and if ever anyone zooms past me it is usually someone from NJ or NY, not the locals.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM

444 posts, read 789,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I'm not sure if the cops target out of state plates so much as some out-of-staters don't take the speed limits seriously. There are a couple of stretches I drive regularly that I know full well are speed traps, and if ever anyone zooms past me it is usually someone from NJ or NY, not the locals.
I've lived a lot of places and you're right, the locals know the speed traps, because they're usually in the same places. And people used to driving on Interstates all the time probably don't realize how dangerous it can be to speed on narrow, hilly, winding roads. But I don't think Vermont drivers are particularly safe either. This is the only state where I've seen drivers regularly pass on double lines, sometimes just before going over a hill. And in police reports in Addison County there seem to be an awful lot of one-car accidents on straight, dry roads on sunny days with light traffic.

In many parts of the country, radar traps tend to be on the edge of town facing away from town, making it more likely that an out-of-towner will get a ticket. There are probably several reasons why cops do this. First, the police car presence automatically slows down traffic heading downtown, and second, the cop is less likely to give a ticket to his next door neighbor or the mayor.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,678,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
I But I don't think Vermont drivers are particularly safe either. This is the only state where I've seen drivers regularly pass on double lines,
FYI - VT, PA and other states, the dbl yellow is considered an advisory and
you can legally pass unless it is specifically accompanied by a "No Passing" sign.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
FYI - VT, PA and other states, the dbl yellow is considered an advisory and
you can legally pass unless it is specifically accompanied by a "No Passing" sign.
It's legal, but not recommended. I witnessed one very unsafe and pointless pass that could easily have resulted in multiple fatalities. The law is probably designed to allow passing slow-moving vehicles like tractors, not other cars that are already driving over the speed limit.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,842,696 times
Last night on the news two bikers were clocked at 125mph on a state road, police caught one(a Vermont resident), they are looking for the other. It's not about the color of the plate, it's about highway safety. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,802,728 times
I've noticed that the Chester PD likes to hang out on 103 on the south east end of town where the speed limit drops upon entering town. Most of the people who blast through there are from out of state. I drive a trikked out SUV and have noticed that I receive special attention from Chester's finest when I am in town. The car is like bait to a hungry fish. They won't catch me speeding if I can help it!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I've noticed that the Chester PD likes to hang out on 103 on the south east end of town where the speed limit drops upon entering town. Most of the people who blast through there are from out of state. I drive a trikked out SUV and have noticed that I receive special attention from Chester's finest when I am in town. The car is like bait to a hungry fish. They won't catch me speeding if I can help it!
Maybe if you permanently strapped a stuffed moose to your roof they'd figure you were a local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont