Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 PM

23,678 posts, read 70,803,108 times

Advertisements

Florida has no income tax. Vermont does.
Cost of car insurance would drop from Ft. Lauderdale to Vt.
Winter costs money in Vermont - figure on dropping a least a couple thousand on heating and related expenses per year.
Fort Lauderdale has stuff to do and you might find yourself going stir crazy in Georgia.
Winter driving can be far worse than driving in south FL.
Clothing costs more.
Medical care is backwoods compared to Cleveland Clinic
About March, you go crazy from lack of sunlight.

$50 K in south Florida is quite livable if you have financial savvy and don't have to deal with Citizens and high priced windstorm insurance. I'd guess $50 K in south FL dollars converts to about $42 K in Vermont. (Earn $50 K have $42 K of south Florida spending ability) It is the little things that get you. A restaurant that charges $25 a meal in Florida would charge about $40 or more for the same food in Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,389,214 times
ellia is staying where you are an option?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 AM

72 posts, read 151,844 times
I wouldn't want to move to Georgia VT. And I wouldnt want to move to VT in general making $50k a year if I had a kid to support.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM

20 posts, read 26,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
ellia is staying where you are an option?

Probably not because I have run out of options as far as finding a job down here.The company that just shut in South Florida has a site in Vermont which is why I am asking ,but judging from this forum,Vermont may not be a reasonable move.My field is technical so maybe I would have better luck in Texas.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 684 times
Thumbs up Vermont move

I had moved from New York city area to southern Vermont many years ago and said if I like it I'll stay. I'm still here! Initially weekends would find me in N.Y. but now it is rare that I get there. Everyone comes here. The employment paid less in Vermont but there are many other benefits. 25 years ago walking around town everyone had a familiar face . The town is "touristy" and now people pass through quickly. Many would love to live here but to start from scratch would be difficult especially in the field of renting/owning. The winters are not that harsh and for an active person there is plenty to do. Children w/you? good schools are here. If you are like those people I meet who think: "Oh,I would love to live in Vermont - check it out and take the plunge.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,055 times
Visiting any place you are considering relocating to from afar would be a must. Keep in mind, your impressions of a place you are visiting may be quite different than the reality of actually living there. I found this to be very true when we moved to VT six years ago. The first place we lived was a very small town. We were not prepared for the Vermonter / Flatlander thing.
There is a saying: "You get paid by the mountains". The scenery, open spaces, outdoor recreation possibilities and quality of life are worth making less money here than you might elsewhere. (To me, maybe not for everyone.)
I find VT to be much less materialistic than the other 4 states that I lived before. I enjoy simple living. There is no need to get dressed up here. Our move to VT really changed our kids, and for the better. I think that VT is a great place for kids to grow up.
If you are moving from FL, you are going to need a whole different (functional- for the invigorating climate) set of clothing. Here is another saying: "There is no such thing as bad weather, only improper clothing and wimps" I LOVE winter! Warm clothes are essential. Getting into outdoor winter sports is important if you are going to like living here. Winter is LONG here.
I would definately say that VT is not for everyone, but I chose to live here, and I love what it has to offer.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,980,223 times
Ellia,
Sounds like you need a job. But you also need a life for when you're not working. You haven't given us much info on your interests, hobbies and desires in a new place to live. Vermont is pretty slow but we have lot's of things to do if you look. Small towns have free concerts, fairs, farmers markets, and a boatload of outdoor activities. What would you like to do? I like to travel but always look forward to coming home to Vermont for it's peace and quiet. No place is perfect! It really does depend on what you want out of it. So what do you want?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:05 PM

189 posts, read 302,733 times
Since you are now unemployed, and would incur debt in moving here, I'd look closer to where you are now. If you have the option of looking for a couple months and then still getting a job with the Vermont company, that would be my advice. I say this because of everything that others have already told you about the cost of living in Vermont - but also because you haven't visited and it's very very far away from where you now live. That makes a lot of uncertainties and, since your employment situation is already uncertain, it might not be wise to make too big a change in your life. New England is profoundly different from Florida and it's possible you might really not like it here at all - in which case you'd be far from home, in debt, and kind of stuck.

I'd consider the Vermont job as a last option, but would first try very hard to find something in an area that won't present you with as many surprises. Should you decide on Vermont, I can promise you that some of those surprises will be pleasant, but others will be a real jolt for which you won't be prepared. A move out of state is a big step - if I were you, I'd not want to do that when my life was unsettled. Since you have a young child, security would be a real concern. Good luck to you.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:41 PM

20 posts, read 26,539 times
No longer an issue.I was not offered the job in Vermont.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:25 AM

72 posts, read 100,065 times
Sorry to hear that, ellia… I hope you find something soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont