Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,147,794 times

Advertisements

best year we ever had. we definitely had some blight plants, but we just removed them and the others seem fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,668,316 times
This is somewhat related because it has to do with why tomato's and other vegetables are doing so well in our climate. I was looking at the maps from the Northeast Climate Impacts Assessment. They give a visualization of what summers in Vermont will feel like over the course of this century with high and low greenhouse gas emissions. As of right now, our climate is equal to what Southern New England/Mid-Atlantic were in about 1990. I also looked at the USDA hardiness zone maps from 1990 and 2006 (it's even warmer if you look at the newest map). Almost all of Vermont was zone 3 and 4 in 1990 with some zone 5 in Southern Vermont. In 2006, the Northeast Kingdom was the only zone 4 left (they were zone 3). The rest of the state was zone 5 with zone 6 starting to push into Southern Vermont. This also ties into the fact that we are approaching 2 years with above normal temperatures each month. Thinking about this information made me realize the last time I had tomato's do this well was when I was in CT in the early 90's. Well, I guess we sort of are CT now.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 PM

444 posts, read 789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
This is somewhat related because it has to do with why tomato's and other vegetables are doing so well in our climate. I was looking at the maps from the Northeast Climate Impacts Assessment. They give a visualization of what summers in Vermont will feel like over the course of this century with high and low greenhouse gas emissions. As of right now, our climate is equal to what Southern New England/Mid-Atlantic were in about 1990. I also looked at the USDA hardiness zone maps from 1990 and 2006 (it's even warmer if you look at the newest map). Almost all of Vermont was zone 3 and 4 in 1990 with some zone 5 in Southern Vermont. In 2006, the Northeast Kingdom was the only zone 4 left (they were zone 3). The rest of the state was zone 5 with zone 6 starting to push into Southern Vermont. This also ties into the fact that we are approaching 2 years with above normal temperatures each month. Thinking about this information made me realize the last time I had tomato's do this well was when I was in CT in the early 90's. Well, I guess we sort of are CT now.
According to an article in Scientific American, in 2100 the climate in Boston may be the same as it is now in Huntsville, AL, with global warming of 9 degrees Fahrenheit. That's based on projections from now with no action taken against global warming. I think the evidence for global warming is quite convincing now, and more serious actions will be taken within a few years. But it may be too late to stop all warming.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
According to an article in Scientific American, in 2100 the climate in Boston may be the same as it is now in Huntsville, AL, with global warming of 9 degrees Fahrenheit. That's based on projections from now with no action taken against global warming. I think the evidence for global warming is quite convincing now, and more serious actions will be taken within a few years. But it may be too late to stop all warming.
The maps from the Northeast Climate Impacts Assessment focused on Vermont. They showed what the climate would be at our current pace (the current standards) and at a reduced emissions standard by 2080. Vermont would have the same climate as Georgia at higher emissions. I don't recall the low emissions standard. I think it was similar to modern day Mid-Atlantic. It will slow down with reduced emissions, but the warmer climate will continue at a slower pace.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,543,197 times
There is still a little zone 3 in VT. Mostly in Essex County and nearby. The whole NEK used to be zone 3. I was stunned when I saw zone 5 creeping into southern VT. I really hope this change reverses itself somehow. Warmer climates bring more bug problems, diseases, and many pests and diseases for trees will spread more rapidly. Ticks carrying lyme disease will probably finally populate Essex County soon I'm sure. Sure the tomatoes will be easier to grow, but I'm not sure the other things are worth better tomato crops.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 AM

444 posts, read 789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There is still a little zone 3 in VT. Mostly in Essex County and nearby. The whole NEK used to be zone 3. I was stunned when I saw zone 5 creeping into southern VT. I really hope this change reverses itself somehow. Warmer climates bring more bug problems, diseases, and many pests and diseases for trees will spread more rapidly. Ticks carrying lyme disease will probably finally populate Essex County soon I'm sure. Sure the tomatoes will be easier to grow, but I'm not sure the other things are worth better tomato crops.
There are some other benefits to a warmer climate besides better growing conditions: lower heating costs for example. But on the global level food production will be disrupted by droughts and severe weather, and coastal areas will flood. Probably all that money spent on New Orleans will turn out to be wasted when the city is abandoned. I could do without the heat we had this summer.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,543,197 times
I prefer the cold over the heat despite the fuel to heat with. A warming climate will be bad for our forests as well.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I prefer the cold over the heat despite the fuel to heat with. A warming climate will be bad for our forests as well.
This was mentioned a while ago in a similar forum post. Vermont will no longer have any sugar maples prior to 2080 at the current pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: