Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:55 PM

31 posts, read 47,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well I'm none of those things but I have had to look for a job before and it's not easy. Most go to people who are already known to others working somewhere. I'm sure that's particularly true in a place like Vermont. They tend to look after their own first. I'm sure there are also plenty of psych majors coming out of UVM looking for that type of work. You might want to send some resumes out to employers in several locations. Sounds like you haven't been in the job market in a long time, perhaps since some bygone age when jobs were plentiful.
It hasn't been that long at all since I have worked since I currently work AND I am getting my bachelor's, but thanks for your concern, lol. Just curious, do you have a college degree seeking employment or are you looking in the "general" section for work? Good luck to you with that if that is unfortunately the case. It is good that I do know a few individuals up there since, in your opinion, I may need that to land a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM

130 posts, read 279,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelLA67 View Post
I have seen several rentals online, but what price range should I look for to get something decent? I do not require a lap of luxury, but do not wish to live in a shack. I live modestly if that helps with giving me a price range. Thanks!
For two bed place I'd be looking at $900-1000+ a month or more for a non shack apartment. Like I said you could get cheaper if you're right place, right time etc but they are very rare. I lived in a great 2 bed condo in Montpelier for many years and it comes up for rent each summer if the tenant doesn't stay. It's currently priced at $1200 a month (I think) with all bills on top if that give you an idea. Easy walk to town and very safe too. I've lived in cheaper places but they've generally had worse landlords and/or more expensive to heat due to bad windows etc.

But, you can get lucky and focus. It pays off to be persistent. Took me four months to find a good place. If you and your son can stand it it's worth finding somewhere temporary rather than moving to a shack and having a hard time. Like this guy has furnished temporary places. Never been in one but they look OK. I know he also has other property for rent in town. Furnished Apts

I only have Montpelier renting experience BTW. There could be plenty more out there if you're willing to drive everywhere.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 PM

31 posts, read 47,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
For two bed place I'd be looking at $900-1000+ a month or more for a non shack apartment. Like I said you could get cheaper if you're right place, right time etc but they are very rare. I lived in a great 2 bed condo in Montpelier for many years and it comes up for rent each summer if the tenant doesn't stay. It's currently priced at $1200 a month (I think) with all bills on top if that give you an idea. Easy walk to town and very safe too. I've lived in cheaper places but they've generally had worse landlords and/or more expensive to heat due to bad windows etc.

But, you can get lucky and focus. It pays off to be persistent. Took me four months to find a good place. If you and your son can stand it it's worth finding somewhere temporary rather than moving to a shack and having a hard time. Like this guy has furnished temporary places. Never been in one but they look OK. I know he also has other property for rent in town. Furnished Apts

I only have Montpelier renting experience BTW. There could be plenty more out there if you're willing to drive everywhere.
Thanks for the info. Yea, I am willing to have up to a 30-mile commute, although, I am betting that will be crazy in the winter, but I guess it will all depend on where I actually get my place. Hopefully, I will get lucky!

What are the interstates like in the winter? Does the DOT keep them pretty clear? What about the winter up there in general?

Thanks for your time and help.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM

130 posts, read 279,659 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Yea, I am willing to have up to a 30-mile commute, although, I am betting that will be crazy in the winter, but I guess it will all depend on where I actually get my place. Hopefully, I will get lucky!

What are the interstates like in the winter? Does the DOT keep them pretty clear? What about the winter up there in general?

Thanks for your time and help.
I'm not a commuter but the 89 has always been clear for me unless there is a big storm. Coming from London I found winters extremely difficult but it has got easier as each year goes by. Montpelier isn't the best at plowing but if you are able bodied and seen snow and ice before you won't have much of a problem.

Last winter in Chittenden was EASY. I think Montp. prepared me for that after witnessing the record 30 nches in 24 hours. Was it 30? Someone will correct me.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,330,425 times
Quote:
It hasn't been that long at all since I have worked since I currently work AND I am getting my bachelor's, but thanks for your concern, lol. Just curious, do you have a college degree seeking employment or are you looking in the "general" section for work? Good luck to you with that if that is unfortunately the case. It is good that I do know a few individuals up there since, in your opinion, I may need that to land a job.
Glad you have it all figured out. Not in the market myself but apparently jobs in your field up that way are easier to come by than I'd have thought or have read elsewhere. I'm just amazed when I read on here someone saying they're going to move to this place at this time and get this specific job. I've never been a good enough job searcher to make that work.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-09-2012 at 04:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont