Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 PM

51 posts, read 176,719 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to find out about rental houses in Montpelier but am not having any luck. I wanted to know if there is a steady supply of house rentals. I am thinking of moving to Montpelier and need as much info as possible. Where can I get info on houses for rent, what is the average rent there for a three bedroom/two bath? What is the job situation there like? I am in college now going for an AS in Office Management. I am currently a custodian for the school system here in Florida. What is the average pay for clerical work/custodial? I like what I have heard so far about Montpelier. I think I would love it there. I want a safe place to raise my girls. I am looking for the place that I feel is home. I grew up in KY so I can handle the cold. I miss mountains. I miss actually seeing the seasons change. I want a place that has that small town feeling, but is big enough that you can do what you need to do right there in town. Any information would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
I'm sure others will chime in, but one thing I have to say is that I don't think growing up in KY prepares you for a VT winter. Not even close.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,151 times
VT has one of the tightest rental markets in the country. Relatively expensive and not much to chose from. Plus paranoid landlords(stay for a month and it takes 9 to throw someone out and you can't evict during the winter). Not a lot of jobs, lots of qualified people slumming around, low pay. I'm guessing clerical/school custodial work would pay around 11-12 bucks an hour. Not enough considering how expensive it is. You'll need snow tires, more car mx up here, winter clothes for the family, etc. If you are so inclined social services are supposed to be real good in VT. Folks living on public assistance do quite well from what I've heard. Without a specific employment gig set up it will be near impossible to make an honest living here.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
The local newspaper is the Times Argus. Times Argus Online - Vermont News, Vermont Information, Vermont Jobs You should be able to get a good idea as to what housing is going for and what kind of jobs are available. Also try Craiglist.
I agree, Vermont winters are nothing like KY.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 PM

Talking Thanks for the info.

Yeah I know it will be a far cry from KY. to VT. LOL I think I am up for it though. I checked out the school web site to see what jobs are available right now. Not planning to move for about a year or so. I am just trying to get a realistic idea of what I need to do. I checked out the newspaper web site also. I will have to check out the Craigslist one. I know a bit early to be looking, but I figure if I start looking now I can get a feel of what is out there. Mom is looking for an Admin. job. What are the schools like? I have one who is in the "gifted" program and was wondering what those classes encompassed there. Here she has two classes that are labeled "gifted". That means she isn't as challenged in her other 4 classes which is a bit irratating. Once again thanks for any info I get. It helps give me an idea of what to expect.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
Ditto on the winter experience. Curious, why Montpelier? Not that there is anything wrong with that as a possible relocation destination, but it is small, as mentioned the rental market is expensive and very tight in terms of supply to demand, and with the current economy getting work is tougher, especially if you are seeking getting a state govt job which might very well enter into a phase of an employment freeze if things keep going as they are. The best I can suggest is to follow the paper and other sources mentioned.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Smile Not sure yet about Montpelier, still looking for the right town.

I don't want to live in a huge city. I want a town that is small enough that you have the hometown feel, yet you have the shops you need for everyday life. I have three teens so some entertainment would be good. I currently live about an hour from St. Petersburg and Tampa and the only time I ever go to either city is when I go to a Rays game(baseball). I live within a 10 minute drive to work and the Wal-mart is 15 minutes away. If I never had to leave the one strip of road I have to drive everyday I would be happy. US 19 is a deathtrap. Even the college I attend is only a 15 minute drive from my house. As a 35 year old, soon-to-be-divorced mother of three I am not looking for a party, busy town to live in. I want a close-knit, safe, active place to finish raising my kids. A place I will also love when it is just me after the kids are gone. One where I can support my family without going broke in the process. I know, I don't want much do I? Haha.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
Yeah, I have done the US 19 drive out of St Pete/Tampa area and agree that is too congested. When it comes to Vermont we really don't have cities with congestion and sprawl. If Vermont is high on your list to explore options I would also suggest giving the greater Burlington area of Chittenden County a look. Unfortunately, it is also expensive, but while still being surrounded by smaller rural type towns within easy commuting distance you will have more options and services, at least by Vermont standards. The cost of living versus pay scales needs to be seriously considered. What really now hurts folks here is the rising cost of energy and it takes a big bite out of any disposable income which could otherwise go towards discretionary spending. If at all possible it would wise to take a few trips to the area to get a feel for it and also be able to check out possible employment options. The economy can't stay in the hopper forever and hopefully by this time next year things will improve.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
Quote:
A place I will also love when it is just me after the kids are gone. One where I can support my family without going broke in the process.
The 'without going broke' part is what would concern me about moving to VT...I've always thought FL had a lower COL than VT (correct me if I'm wrong please) and as a single mother of three, I would warn you to really investigate the COL of Vermont and how comfortable you would be financially. As has been said many times before on this board, good paying jobs are hard to find in VT, and while Montpelier has a lot of government jobs, it is still expensive to live there. And don't forget the cost of heat, which is not an issue in FL.

I definitely recommend coming up to visit, and preferably in the winter. That will give you a huge dose of reality, and if you can handle that, then that is one step in the right direction.

Any reason you haven't considered areas like Virginia, the Carolinas, etc? Still have the seasons and much cheaper COL than VT.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:01 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Everyone has given you some great advice. Another place to look for jobs in the Montpelier area....given that its the state capitol, check out Vermont.gov to see what kind of state jobs are available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont