Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 PM

15 posts, read 38,756 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I am a lifelong NYC resident and there is a good chance of relocation to Montpelier--my husband has been offered a job, I would go in a year or so, with job or without.

While I am tired of NYC's noise and hustle and bustles, I wonder if this is too big a leap. I am not super sports active but am a moderate hiker and cross-country skiier. The winters in NYC don't bother me.

Has anyone relocated from NYC to this area? I'd welcome opinions from long-time residents of Vermont as well. It's a big change and while I feel I can embrace it, I am just a tad scared to leave all I know.

Also, I have visited the area a handful of times, but as many people say... it's easier visiting than living! Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Montpelier is a nice enough town, with no fast food restaurants or big box stores.
The Main street is very pleasant- stress is very low.

It may be a big change for you from NYC- its is quiet, low key and will not take away years from your life.

The town has some good restaurants, book stores and other amenities you will enjoy. For me in eastern Connecticut, the 'leap' would not be too difficult.

Last edited by skytrekker; 01-29-2008 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM

I don't mind the low key environment and I DO like the fresh air! Montpelier sounds nice--I've been in the Northeast Kingdom around Burke Mt. so I understand the concept of small city/town.
I suppose I am also concerned about finding a job--I have been an editor/writer all my career life and don't see many jobs up there for people of my ilk. Now, I am prepared to change gears--work in a retail store, do filing, whatever it takes. But it just seems if there is a limited numbers of jobs--any jobs--in that state and that particular area.
I supposed I'll just see what happens--step by step day by day. Thanks for the good feedback.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Montpelier's population is only around 7,000. The whole state of Vermont is just of 600,000 people, so our economy is a lot smaller. Lots of competition for jobs, especially good ones.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Nonprofit organizations account for something like 11% of employed Vermonters, compared with about 5% nationwide. Being the capital, Montpelier has lots of nonprofits that serve statewide, regional, and local interests. I work in the nonprofit sector part-time and am a self-employed massage therapist part-time. This works great for me.

I just googled Montpelier nonprofit organizations and there are lots of pages to check out.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Vter, you confirmed what I had been thinking. Is it tough to break into the job market as an outsider? I would imagine that whatever jobs there are would go first to those who have been living there a long time or who grew up there. I guess that is my concern--to give the security up and not find anything. I am not the sort to sit at home and twiddle my thumbs (not that we would have the financial luxury of doing that)--I want to work. Also I started to read another, older thread and it contained significant doom and gloom about the Vermont economy--high taxes, high housing costs, few jobs, etc. Is this for real or at times exaggerated?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:06 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Re: for real, or exhaggerated...I'd say a little of both and totally dependant on your particular situation.
For my spouse and I, we have good jobs that pay well, a nice smaller house (we could afford much bigger but didnt want to), in a nice small town with reasonable (IMO) taxes. We have been fortunate enough to be able to sock away a lot of money (due to our housing costs), so we are in good shape and don't plan on ever leaving (well, maybe a month in FL in winter when we get older )
For someone who struggles here financially, it's very difficult.
The job situation for you...don't know. I guess it depends. Because our economy is so small everyone knows everyone so to speak so if you are a good employee who is looking for work, chances our your potential boss knows your old boss who's opinion they trust. This can also work the other way around if you are a bad employee.
Vermont's #1 business is tourism.....lots of lower paying jobs there. Montpelier has quite a few law offices as it being the state capital, as well state jobs.
So....in summary. I think it depends on your particular situation......I can't imagine you would have a problem finding a service level job if thats what you need to tie yourself over.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 PM

Vter, are you a native Vermonter? It sounds as if you and yours have definitely travelled the right path. It is encouraging to know there are jobs even if on the service level. Although a bit worried, I think I should be able to get a job--I am a good employee, I wokr hard and I like to do things right. That aside, we may just start the process... there is nothing to lose. Thanks for your replies and info--I'll sign off for tonight but hope to "speak" with you (and anyone else out there who wishes to contribute) soon.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:11 AM

104 posts, read 491,495 times
Remember, look for jobs before the Big Move!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
I'm a born and bred NYCer, but have been spending summers/winters in VT since I was a baby...we own a condo in Stowe, and have family who have homes in the area as well, and we are planning a full time move within the next year or two, but haven't narrowed down exactly where yet (not sure if Stowe will be what we want for year-round living).

For me, dealing with the change in city-size and vibrancy is not an issue...though I have spent tons of time in Manhattan, between college, jobs and just being social, I have always been more of a small town kind of person. But that's something that is very personal - only you know if living in a small town would work for you. There are many people who have moved to small towns and went nuts with boredom...and others who thrived. I think no matter where we end up, being near a resort or near Burlington would be best for us, so we can take advantage of shopping, restaurants, etc, when needed.

I think Montpelier is a great town, and I had it on my lists of places to consider moving to, but I wanted to be closer to the ski resorts so it's sort of moved down to the bottom of the list. But between the great restaurants, farmers market and what appears to be a pretty nice community, I think it's a great town to live in (again, this is just speculation!).

The main issue is definitely jobs...your cost of living won't be an increase coming from NYC (though it won't be much of a decrease either, so keep that in mind) - you have to make sure that whatever employment you do find, it will cover your property taxes, heating costs, gasoline, etc...jobs pay much less in VT than they do in NYC.

Winters in NYC are not VT winters. Let's be frank - we hardly ever get any real snow, and it hasn't been 'cold' here in years. Winters in VT are long, cold and gray. While daffodils are blooming in March in NYC, it's still snowing in VT. When we're in Stowe, it is not uncommon for it to be in the single digits, without the wind chill, for days/weeks at a time. Temps below zero are not abnormal either. Weather forecasters in NYC have a field day if the wind chill is 15º!! Like the world is going to end! LOL.

It is definitely easier visiting rather than living, as many posts from residents here illustrate...that being said, if you are the type of person who values quality of life over material things, and feel that you have the financial security to weather the Vermont business/economic climate, it could definitely work for you. Either way, if you own your home in NYC, I would recommend subletting it/renting it instead of selling it, in case you don't end up staying in VT. Also, rent in VT first before buying, again, in case you move back.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions....I'll try to help as best I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont