Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,119 times

Advertisements

I'm in eastern Chittenden county and this winter I'm going to give winter greenhouse gardening a go. It's a geodesic greenhouse with a 14 foot diameter. I THINK I can over come cold with heaters. Expensive, I know, but I've wanted to try this for years. What else am I up against? I was sure to get cold hearty seeds. How will light, or lack thereof, impact my efforts? Any other variables I'm missing? If you've ever given this hardcore winter greenthumbin' a go, I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm doing (or trying to do) Tomatoes, Broc, Cauliflower, Carrots, Lettuce, Peppers maybe.

Thank ya's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Pollination is an issue. You'll need to hand pollinate or introduce some kind of insect pollinators. If your soil contains the eggs of pests you won't have the balance of predators of those pests you might outdoors. I've had quite a few issues with spider mites and various gnats with indoor plants.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
With grey days you will have an issue with plants like tomatoes. They like heat and light. I have done tomatoes during the winter, but we did with hydroponics and grow lights. Not cheap!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
My neighbor built a hoop house along the lines of this: green-house-kit.net
I don't think she gets tomatoes year round but certainly greens.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Tomatoes and peppers are warm weather crops that I wouldn't bother with. Light will be a BIG issue. The best I ever did in Vermont for winter greens was sprouts and some lettuce grown within about 10" of a dual 4' florescent fixture. My guess is that you will spend more on heating than if you grew indoors, where any electric light would go towards reducing your heating cost as well. Greenhouses of just about any type have no appreciable insulation, and the wide variation between nighttime temps and a rare sunny warm day would send most plants into shock. Carrots might work, but I fail to see the point, as carrots grown in summer can keep until about February anyway.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
If you're going to spend the money to heat a greenhouse, you might as well grow indoor with grow lights.

If you are determine to do a greenhouse, it would be a good idea to trench the earth so much of the greenhouse is below surface level. The design is called a "pitt greenhouse." Being below surface level takes advantage of the constant temperatures underground for cold climates. It's probably too late in the year to build one, but definitely worth consideration for next winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont