Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 9,190 times

Advertisements

I have accidentally stumbled upon this blog "Obscure Vermont" when I was Googling internet providers in the Cuttingsville/Shrewsbury area. A must read for anyone who wants to appreciate Vermont beyond its chocolate box rural New England image. Enjoy!

Cemetery Safaris and Urban Legends « Obscure Vermont

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,525,608 times
There's an Egyptian mummy buried in Middlebury. No joke either, it was destined for a museum but was in too poor of a condition and eventually got buried...

Old 11-07-2012, 04:33 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
Nutting did a good book on Vermont strange places. I've been to the spot on the Bristol cliffs where people dug for Spanish gold.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,525,608 times
The stories about Glastenbury Mountain are another interesting one. I've been there, never saw anything odd, but did have an uncomfortable feeling at times (and that was before I heard the stories, I was just out hunting bears there). Oddly enough, I once saw a piece of iron rail there, presumably from the railroad that was wiped out in a storm after a short-lived attempt to make a resort on the mountain in the late 19th century. Fayville is full of cellar holes.

Another strange incident, was the bizarre mob attack and killing at Patch's Hollow on Bear Mountain in Wallingford. History of Patch's Hollow, Bear Mtn in Vermont

There's some ruins left of the houses. There's some weird history in this state, between Egpytian mummies (oh did I forget to mention there's also a grave with a window to see into it in Middlebury too?), evil mountains and drunken mob attacks. The "roller coaster" highway alcohol smugglers used in the NEK during prohibition used to be more fun to experience before the state did some work making it less of a roller coaster ride. I've panned for gold in Plymouth where there was a short-lived gold rush in the 1800's. I did find some flake and dust gold but it took half a day of work to get 25 cents worth of gold.

Of course I think the most obscure places are the places no one really visits. Try visiting Warner's Grant some time (a warning: the roads that appear on maps won't work too well).

Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
I recall the first time I passed the Bowman mausoleum. I did a double-take as we drove by and couldn't wait to get home to Google and learn more. The way the light strikes it later in the day makes it a little creepy.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,945,677 times
Interesting blog. If it's old, abandoned and out of the way, I will usually find time to do a little exploring too. I just love those places. AH - there's a picture of the windowed grave you mentioned along with the reasoning behind it. I enjoyed the story about the old man at Walmart. Chances are pretty good that I know the guy. That's a heck of a good link, Maplesirop!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,685 times
Here's another cool "abandoned/lost" kinda site:
Lost Vermont Ski Areas

Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM

819 posts, read 1,496,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Lost Vermont Ski Areas
Ah yes, good old NELSAL.....I know that site well, used it a bunch of times over the years.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM

662 posts, read 1,261,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Lost Vermont Ski Areas
I found it interesting that there was a ski hill in back of the Sheraton!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM

819 posts, read 1,496,388 times
I meant to write NELSAP; either way, that site has been interesting to read over the past several years as there were so many ski hills around New England, many are sitll sitting abandoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont