Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:00 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times

Advertisements

Okay, winter is coming so natives, give me some tips what I should have in my apartment & how to get my car ready.

Do I need a generator? I was reading a similar post on the NH board.
I've lived with snow before and shoveled plenty of it! I know about shovels, ice melt, flash lights and batteries for the house. Candles of course, and matches.

My heat is propane. If the lights go out does that mean my heat will go out? I assume it might as the thermostat is probably electric?

Does the power go out a lot? (I'm West of Lebanon). Should I have lots of canned goods ready? (yeah, I know, it's NE not the Arctic Circle.)

Any advice? You guys are so helpful, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Preparing a car for winter really only involves basic routine tasks. Make sure your coolant is of the proper mix, good wipers, have deicer ready to free stuck wipers, and if your battery is old or weak you should get a new one. Also I would recommend carrying a shovel, extra gloves and clothing in the vehicle as well as a few road flares should you become disabled. What amazes here in Vermont is that a good many vehicles don't have an inexpensive head bolt or block heater installed. Prior to coming here I was up in Alaska for 22 years and to be honest it was not much if at all colder up there, just that winter would last two months longer. Anyway, an electric block heater is just merely pugged into a standard outlet using very little power, but once you start your car it not only cranks right up, but warms up much faster. I used to plug in about two hours before knowing I would have to leave. It really saves on engine wear and tear from extreme cold starts. Now here is why I find it amusing that it is not common and promoted here in Vermont. A cold engine puts out quite a bit more pollutants and by plugging in it greatly reduces emissions. In such a state as Vermont where the daily rant is to save the planet I have not heard much of using block heaters. Also, when I say block heaters I don't mean the cheap oil dipstick heaters, I mean the hard wired engine block heater elements. As far as a home generator is concerned I have one because I average six to eight outages a year. Most are of just a few hours duration, but the longest was for four days in freezing temperatures. My generator, a Honda 5000w, will power my furnace (oil, hot forces air), the well pump, the fridge/freezer, and several outlets. I can also run extensions from the generator itself should I want to run more items. I find the generator to be worth the investment to protect my house and also it allows the ability to remain at home during prolonged inclement weather outages. My wife works at a hotel and trust me that during major storms when areas are knocked out they fill up fast at a premium price. Gypsy, since you are so close to NH you can buy such equipment there saving on the taxes, however you technically are expected to report this to Montpelier and pay the amount

Old 10-16-2007, 04:19 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
Good post flu. The other thing you will want to do is keep you fuel above a quarter tank in your car. There will be condensation in your fuel tank when the temps go below freezing and that condensation could freeze in your fuel lines. Then your car is useless until it can be thawed. This happened to me my first winter in Vermont. I sat under my car with a heat gun for about an hour with temps below zero(not fun!!). It's more likely to happen when the temp is below zero.

Your heat will go out with a power outage(I'm not sure how often they happen in your area). A generator may be a wise purchase if your area has frequent outages(always happens more frequently in the winter). You want to be carefully with space heaters that don't vent to the outside(the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning) we see several CO poisonings a year as well as many deaths with non venting heaters at FAHC. In fact we had our first one of the heating season yesterday.

Have canned goods in your pantry. Not for just a power outage, but for a big snow storm. I hate running to the store just before a big storm hits. It's like being at the mall just before Christmas.

Let your car warm up before driving. As flu stated it puts more pollutants in the air as well as putting more wear in your engine and drivetrain(one of the main reasons cars don't last as long here in northern new england).

Check to see how drafty your doors and windows are in your house. Invest in some weatherstripping now and save on your heating bills. Propane is more expensive than the weatherstripping.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:10 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Thanks for bringing up keeping your fuel tank filled up. Probably the most important item and easiest thing to do to prevent problems. I also at times pour a bottle of Heet in at fillups when I know the temps will be going south of zero. Also, folks should remember that during cold spells it's important to check that tire pressure as it will drop and also as in any season to check your engine oil. Older worn engines will use more oil with all those cold starts.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,395 times
Make sure your pipes are covered or heated.
We had pipes freeze that I really didnt think would, and
it made a mess !!!
When they predict a big storm which they always do, but you
will learn when they are real or not....Pre Salt your driveway !!
It makes a HUGE difference if you have to do it by hand.
Throw lots and lots down and often !
Dont park your car by the road or it will get plowed in.
Get in the habit of leaving your windshield wipers UP .
Squirt some oil in all your locks....house and car.
Shovel in car !!! Window scraper, too...
Spray Pam or Silicone spray on all the door rubber stuff on your car.
Maybe even block 1/2 the radiator off with a piece of cardboard(?).

Speaking of which:
Its going down to a chilly 76 here tonite...I better get some shorts and
a T-shirt out to prepare

Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the posts. Keep them coming.
Like I said, I am used to cold. It gets pretty cold sometimes where I am from because we lived off the water. Of course it's not New England cold..

I don't pay for the heat (it's part of our lease). Good deal there, I hope. (stove is propane, too).

Old 10-16-2007, 08:29 PM

19 posts, read 66,887 times
Enough yarn to knit up and keep me busy, check!

Chocolate, check!

Two corgis for bedwarmers, check!

Yup, I'm all set *g*

Seriously, here in Idaho, winter can be fierce. We usually have plenty of food on hand (I tend to always have six months on hand), pantry stuff and freezer. We have two 50 gallon water storage barrels with pump in the furnace room. We have a lehman's lamp for good light and a few other oil lanterns for other light (candles really don't cut it) plus a few flashlights in various places. We also have a wood stove and wood to run it.

I've never been without power for more than five days but our power does go out frequently. We just fire up the woodstove (if it's not already running), pop the kettle on the top of it for hot liquids, cuddle the pups close and relax. I can even put the dutch oven on the wood stove and get dinner ready, it just takes a bit of preparation.

I can't imagine it's much different from Vermont so moving to the NEK for me should be mostly the same in winter except three times the snow! I am planning on purchasing a generator but that's more of a personal decision since I expect to be a bit more isolated from town than I am now. Other than that, I'm good to go.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:37 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Don't forget snow tires.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Okay, well today's eye opener. Yesterday my husband was talking to me about people at work STILL wearing shorts. I replied, "really?" (it seems odd, it's getting cold..)
Well, this morning I was walking to the Post Office and it was freezing. I like the cold but it was still quite chilly. I had on a sweatshirt, a zipup sweatshirt and a windbreaker. My hands were freezing! Anyhow, I see this lady go to her car and she has shorts on!! And around the park there's another woman hiking with just a sweater (no jacket or coat...)
I thought I LIKED and tolerated the cold well but these folks put me to shame (or they are just insane...)

Maybe the lady with shorts works in a hot office?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Wait until spring...when it hits 40 the shorts start coming back out LOL.
I personally don't consider it cold until it gets below 40. So yes, this morning was cold, but it's nice out now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont