Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times

Advertisements

Is Vermont just business 'unfriendly' or is is something else that prevents companies from expanding here? I am not trying to be obnoxious--I just want to understand why it's okay to have 'cute inns' employ people but the state isn't into 'businesses.'
Is it because of pollution? Ruining the landscape? Bringing in undesirables?
I wouldn't want my views spoiled by smokestacks and so on but a few more companies means more competition equally better wages. That would be better for the 'labor force.'

I'm just wondering...? Maybe someone can explain it, nicely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Is Vermont just business 'unfriendly' or is is something else that prevents companies from expanding here? I am not trying to be obnoxious--I just want to understand why it's okay to have 'cute inns' employ people but the state isn't into 'businesses.'
Is it because of pollution? Ruining the landscape? Bringing in undesirables?
I wouldn't want my views spoiled by smokestacks and so on but a few more companies means more competition equally better wages. That would be better for the 'labor force.'

I'm just wondering...? Maybe someone can explain it, nicely...
I think it's the lack of workers. And not just trained workers. IBM in Essex is always hiring for line work and just about anyone can get immediately hired. Yes, it only pays about $11.00 an hour, and is a three year supplemental position, but you get benefits. An unskilled job like this with benefits would result in lines around a block in most cities. They can't even fill the jobs here.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Land Development permitting is a long and sometimes costly process here in Vermont. Along with local permitting, many projects may need to go through the ACT 250 process, which many see as a blessing and some as a curse LOL. I have a love/hate relationship with it myself.
For information on what ACT 250 is, check out the following website:
Vermont Act 250

Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,882 times
It's a lot of things, and it depends on the businesses. There is plenty of business-you seem to be talking about manufacturing.

There are supply chain issues, transportation issues, costs of operation, tax issues, environmental issues and employment issues.

Some or all of these may be more conducive to factories locating elsewhere. Personally, I think Vermont is better off without the factories.

All states set priorities. Clearly the environment is a top priority in Vermont, and that is a very good thing. It may be hard for business to deal with those laws, but too bad-go somewhere else then. If they can meet the stringent requirements, then they are welcome.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,283 times
Terrific posts above...and I won't deny VT seems to welcome some businesses, and be picky about others. But we're always looking for economic development and new businesses here in VT. In fact, there's a particular large corporation about to make an announcement, which I'll share when I can...

I actually help run a business group which supports different companies and businesses.

Here are a couple of links you may find interesting...

Thinkvermont.com - Vermont Department of Economic Development

Community & Economic Development Office

David Beckett

Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
Vermont places economic obstacles toward businesses, hence companies will locate to regions and states where they can prosper. True, we have a limited workforce, but the reality is build it and they will come, meaning qualified workers as well as educational programs to train workers to meet the needs of businesses.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
Like flu stated, they are in business to make money and they will locate to where they can prosper. There are many factors involved including taxes, environmental regulations and population. I'm sure many of these reasons are why the southern states are drawing so many businesses away from other parts of the country as well. Cheaper taxes and a larger younger workforce. We get the occasional large company that comes, but many times it doesn't reduce the tax rate by very much due to the tax breaks offered. On the other hand you need to attract these companies so that hopefully more will follow along with a young workforce. The only unfortunate thing is these companies will end up in the larger areas like Burlington where there is better transportation and they are easier to supply than most of the rest of the state.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Thanks for the explanations. I never did any Vermont research as I never thought about moving here. I mostly focused on NH.
I'm glad people respect nature here. I wouldn't have the view I do if they didn't!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 27,494 times
Another view: Vermont is a rural state, and many rural areas have trouble attracting businesses. In addition, we are not centrally located. Moreover, a lot VT businesses have moved out of state or out of the country for cheaper labor. Workers here, like everywhere in the US, are facing a hard time getting ahead.

And yet there are a lot of small businesses (web-based, especially) expanding and making money. It you have a desirable skill, you can do well in Vermont. Better yet, bring a business or home business with you when you come.

We Vermonters enjoy a good economy, but not at the cost of looking like the sprawling parts of New Jersey or Virginia. Essentially, we like to live in a less populated area, and if a lot of businesses moved here, people would follow and the place would be ruined. I think we are growing too fast already.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
Vermont is, I think, the second 'oldest' state in the country, with that oldness
comes intrinsic curmudgeonery. Most of the Vermonters I met when I was
there were suspicious of any post 1977 technology or ideology. This is
great for some stuff, but not so good for others. You can have a great high-tech
campus or industrial park that is different than a strip mall or a declasse'
business district but its hard to convince the oldtime, native woodchuckers of
that. With the kids leaving for greener pastures like Haitian boat people, the
old timers are who have the say. I regularly wrote the Rutland Herald and other
business related entities about the strip malling of the intersection of Rts 3 & 4
in Rutland and why are they letting more redundant, low-end, garbage retail
in when they should be inviting Johnson & Johnson or a big company like
that to build a campus instead. They powers that be just cant seem to figure
out that about 1500 jobs that pay anywhere from 35,000 - 100,000 a year
and provide full health coverage are better for an area than 8.00 an hour/
no healthcare jobs that cater to an unskilled and highly transient workforce.
Granted, Burlington is diametrically opposed to that mindset but there are
more Rutland in VT than there is Burlington. Until a more openminded look at
the 'outside' world is interjected into VT's business world its only gonna get
worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: