Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,274,173 times

Advertisements

This popped up on my Facebook news feed yesterday and I would have to agree with a lot of what is being said.
Faith in Vermont: Five Reasons to Raise Kids in Vermont | Addison County Independent

Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,934 times
The quiet. People not being in a five-alarm hurry to get anywhere. Mom & pop stores but also the availability of larger stores. The rugged outdoors. The absence of a plethora of gun laws. Small towns. The fresh mountain air (makes me sleepy). A sense of community. Independence, TRUE independence. Small government (although I am told New Hampshire's is smaller). Farmers markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
The quiet.
This reminded me of another reason. The night sky! All of those beautiful stars!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,909 times
You're never more than ten minutes away from somewhere that's quiet, peaceful, and easy on the eyes. More important to me as I get older.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,135,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
You're never more than ten minutes away from somewhere that's quiet, peaceful, and easy on the eyes. More important to me as I get older.

Access to nature, YES. The beauty of Vermont, even in the parts regarded as less beautiful, makes me glad to be here every day. When I'm anywhere else, the billboards alone are enough to make me glad to get home.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,376,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with how it's so hard to accomplish almost anything there. It's frustrating until you realize it wasn't really important anyway. If it is important, you figure out how to do it yourself. That puts life into perspective.

I don't drive (though get rides when I can), so I have to walk to get around-but my point is that it's difficult to "get there from here" either way (on foot or by road), the geography (ups & downs and having to go all the way around just to get across) is quite a challenge...that's part of what makes it so scenic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I love . . .
  • The weather all year except for hot, humid summer days
Yes, even here in Vermont it gets uncomfortably hot & humid for a few days in summer, which is part of why I live in such a cool climate-I wouldn't be able to stand somewhere any warmer/more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
The quiet. People not being in a five-alarm hurry to get anywhere.
Agreed. I like our lack of highway billboards, and that people stop to let each other merge/take turns at intersections (ones not governed by traffic lights)-including stopping for pedestrians, too.
The "smaller scale" of life here is less overwhelming to me (orig. from Maine, lived in Albany NY, then moved to Vt. in '95).

Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,941,169 times
I have always enjoyed Vermont's people. In general, salt of the earth types. Most are easy going and a pleasure to strike up a conversation with. And the stoic ones - well, they don't seem to bother anyone.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Speaking of people, why do half of you talk normal and the other half have some strange accent like you're not from the United States?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Speaking of people, why do half of you talk normal and the other half have some strange accent like you're not from the United States?
That's because half the people in Vermont are native Northern New Englanders and the other half are transplants.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,802 times
Quote:
You don't see baggy pants hanging down their legs,
You are right about that, now that I think of it every time I come to Vermont my eyes are so drawn to how Vermont folks really do have a sense of style I have never seen anywhere else in the US (and I lived in ten different cities after age 20).

vter do please go on and on with your to-like list!

I love the cats of Vermont. I would like to hug every one of them. ="=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont