Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,404,832 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Massachusetts, but we have been considering moving to Vermont for some time.

Aside from the fact that I love how beautiful your state is and *gasp* how much more liberal it is, but how does life in Vermont compare to the other New England states, particularly Massachusetts where we live now? Are people generally friendlier or more standoffish? How's the job market, how affordable is Vermont...all the usual questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
My wife and I currently live in Massachusetts, but we have been considering moving to Vermont for some time.

Aside from the fact that I love how beautiful your state is and *gasp* how much more liberal it is, but how does life in Vermont compare to the other New England states, particularly Massachusetts where we live now? Are people generally friendlier or more standoffish? How's the job market, how affordable is Vermont...all the usual questions?
where do you live in Mass?

the people around Boston seem a lot different than those in the Pioneer Valley and the Berkshires.

people in Vermont can vary too. a world of difference between Chittenden County and Franklin County.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:03 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,520,591 times
I don't think VT is more liberal than MA. Have you noticed our laws on guns, hunting, etc.?Chittenden County qualifies as very liberal overall, but the Northeast Kingdom in general is hardly liberal, nor are some other parts of the state (Rutland County, for example). Even in "liberal" counties you can get conservative pockets (Vernon for example).

It's hard to generalize but there are towns all over the state where people are standoffish, and others that aren't so. It's often said the most standoffish people are in some parts of the NEK, but I've experienced that much worse in parts of Bennington County. Actually, I once encountered "the stares" down that way: an empty stare by half a dozen people at a seemingly busy gas station. I've never encountered that on the backroads of Essex or Orleans Counties. Besides standoffish, there's general rudeness, and I think Chittenden County takes the cake for that.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 AM

198 posts, read 464,967 times
I have lived in Boston, Natick, Holliston and Windsor, CT. When I was married to someone who had money I found that many people of affluence had a more standoffish demeanor. I moved to a very small town where my father had a one room cabin in 1997. I have found that the people in my small town are giving and compassionate to just about anyone unless you give off airs and the feel that you are better than them. My home burned down in 2010 and the generosity of the people in my town and the surrounding communities was very humbling. People with limited means gave us clothing, cash and a fundraiser. I did not know some of these people but my heart was lifted and we were so grateful to live where we do. I do know that when we used to drive to Burlington to visit my daughter at UVM, there were so many more eyes averted especially if my husband wore his plaid shirt and our car was covered in the dirt we collect while driving on our wonderful back road. I believe these attitudes are everywhere. People tend to judge on appearances and they miss out on what genuine compassionate people have to offer. Now it breaks my heart that my physician has suggested that I move south because of some of my medical conditions because we will have to leave this wonderful place.

Last edited by vter; 02-25-2012 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: no advertising!!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,193,582 times
Ok, I'm not from New England, but I don't think people relocate to VT based on any socio/economic plan. That does NOT work. I think you might need to make your money elsewhere(ie; civilization) then come here to live more "fully" with less. I've noticed that most folks relocate to live a more simple/connected life and at one with the beautiful outdoors. Remind yourself that our "vacationland" comes with a cost. If you are traveling up for vacation? You expect it. If you decide to live here full time? Average in the cost of living in what most perceive as vacationland.

PRIORITIZE on life's necessities is all I can say. If you're wired in and need it? Think again. The best thing I ever saw was the movie Baby Boom......not the "kid" part but all the trials and mentions of every day life? It made me cry. (cuz I was so happy to be here) You won't be living in that postcard you buy but jeez! The quality exceeds anything you could imagine if it is what you seek.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,872,181 times
ah ! my message got deleted. Note... baby boom is on youtube in full! haha
Baby Boom Part 1 - YouTube

What are you going to do for work. Easy first question .

Housing is less in VT than NJ, probably NYC is about the same as boston. NJ beinga little less than NYC. Income tax higher than NJ, not sure about versus Boston, MA.

Cost of food, etc. about the same. Heating is a little more due to "cold" winters (what cold winters?!!). People are not really stand off ish.

For example, a starter house in NJ nyc metro area is 300k, you can find a nicer house in Sugarbush area (where I live) for 200k on more land. combined with cheaper property taxes, on a 30 year mortgage is about $9000 a year less. income tax is a little higher.

Job market? I see lots of decent looking jobs in 7 Days, but dunno what those pay.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:41 AM

504 posts, read 617,338 times
Burlington is very liberal although people aren't as lilkely to just say hello to you because it is a city even if it is small, Hartford is also very liberal along with Norwich and both towns are friendly. There are plenty of jobs in the area although most of them are in NH I'm not sure what you want for a job but in the Hartford/ Norwich area there is Dartmouth College and Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and several manufacturing and research companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont