Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,973,492 times

Advertisements

Isnt there a way to get to Keene, after leaving Bradley Airport, that we drive up from Conn into Mass and then into Keene, and just by passing Vermont altogether? I really havent searched this out yet. I am sure there is a way, probly lots of them. Just dealing with Amtrak, oh and flu, the reason I said The Vermonter didnt go to Brat from Spingfield, was because that is what the customer service told me on the phone, while trying to make the reservations. It was a nightmare!!! I had to go through like 3 different dates and 2 different trains, and then we had to figure out what to do from Springfield since there was no train available. That is why the girls are flying into Bradley as opposed to Manchester, NH. It was closer to Springfield. This whole trip is driving me nuts. It seems way more complicated than it should be. I looked up on Amtrak today and sure enough there is a train from Springfield to Brat...sigh. I give up. I am going to keep the plan I have for now...I cant go through all those reservations again!!! Now I need to get a driving plan from Bradley Airport to Keene. If anyone can help with that, thanks. Is a Rav4 a good snow car? That is one we are looking at to rent. Btw, isnt there another way to get into Vermont from Keene, without having to go on RT9?? I am sorry, just kinda freaked out about going on that road, atleast the one direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,067,678 times
Suzet

If coming up from BDL (Bradley International) in Windsor Locks CT- taking I 91 north into Mass and then southern VT is your best bet- Getting off I 91 in 'The Bratt' you will take route 9 across the Connecticut river into Vermont. This is the quickest and easiest route for you. with the least amount of hassles. Travel time will be about 2.5 hours from Connecticut to Keene depending on weather, traffic and barring accidents.

I live about 22 miles from BDL to the east across the Connecticut river in Tolland county CT.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,504,167 times
Well I tried to use my GPS in my car to plug it in for ya, but the stupid thing only gives directions from where I am to that place, so everything would be opposite. BUT Mapquest had the same directions.... RT 9 isn't bad, I don't recall the lake ever being THAT close to the road, I mean it doesn' come up to the road or anything. I just drove it a couple weeks ago and there is ONE hill thats big. Chesterhill Rd I think its called. Its a 7% grade. So you will ride the brakes the whole way down. Now if its not snowing.. No biggie. If it is, eh might have to stake it slower, the thing is the roads are well maintained.. We have people coming to and from Vermont daily on just that road, and for the people who live in Vermont and work and keene.. Well they have to get here somehow, Its a beautiful drive btw. It seems to me all these people driving it are saying, years ago, or when i used to drive it etc. Not only that you don't have to worry about the roads so much when its snow as when its just ice... Its snowing right now and I'd be fine to go out. I'm sure the car you rent is going to have all season tires. We came up in Jan of this year with our Florida car. We had rain tires on.. You wanna talk about NO traction.. We changed a lane and we slid across the lane we didn't move over. And I went to turn on a curve on the road and didn't even turn just kept going straight.. Luckly into another street. That was during ice. Here's another direction, you can come up through Mass and bypass Vermont all together, this seems to be the shorter distances anywho. Just watch your roads carefully cause they'll suddenly change names on ya.. Like here Depending on which direction you're going one rt can be Rt 12 AND Rt 10.. At the same time. or you can just change from Mass to NH and its a different rt. So stick tight to the directions and you'll do fine..

: Start out going EAST on SCHOEPHOESTER RD toward LIGHT LN. <0.1 miles Map

2: Turn LEFT onto TURNPIKE RD / CT-75. Continue to follow CT-75 N (Crossing into MASSACHUSETTS). 11.9 miles Map

3: CT-75 N becomes MEMORIAL AVE / MA-147. <0.1 miles Map

4: Turn LEFT onto RIVER ST. 0.8 miles Map

5: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto PARK ST. 0.2 miles Map

6: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto PARK AVE. 0.4 miles Map

7: Enter next roundabout and take 2nd exit onto US-20 E. 0.5 miles Map

8: US-20 E becomes MA-20A E / PLAINFIELD ST. 0.1 miles Map

9: Merge onto I-91 N via the ramp on the LEFT toward CHICOPEE / HOLYOKE. 1.6 miles Map

10: Merge onto I-391 N via EXIT 12 toward CHICOPEE / HOLYOKE CTR. 4.2 miles Map

11: Take the MAIN STREET exit- EXIT 5. 0.2 miles Map

12: Turn RIGHT onto MAIN ST. 1.0 miles Map

13: MAIN ST becomes CANAL ST / MA-116. 0.3 miles Map

14: Turn LEFT onto N BRIDGE ST / MA-116. 0.7 miles Map

15: Turn LEFT onto LAMB ST / MA-116. Continue to follow MA-116. 3.6 miles Map

16: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto AMHERST RD / MA-116. Continue to follow MA-116. 8.8 miles Map

17: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto S PLEASANT ST. 0.4 miles Map

18: Turn LEFT onto N PLEASANT ST. <0.1 miles Map

19: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT to stay on N PLEASANT ST. 0.2 miles Map

20: Turn LEFT to stay on N PLEASANT ST. 0.2 miles Map

21: Turn RIGHT to stay on N PLEASANT ST. 1.7 miles Map

22: N PLEASANT ST becomes MONTAGUE RD / MA-63. <0.1 miles Map

23: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto MONTAGUE RD / MA-63. Continue to follow MA-63. 12.5 miles Map

24: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto W MAIN ST / MA-63. <0.1 miles Map

25: Turn LEFT onto BRIDGE ST / MA-63. Continue to follow MA-63. 10.4 miles Map

26: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto WANAMAKER RD / MA-10. Continue to follow MA-10 (Crossing into NEW HAMPSHIRE). 17.4 miles Map

27: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto WINCHESTER ST. 0.3 miles Map

28: Turn LEFT onto ISLAND ST. 0.4 miles Map

29: Turn RIGHT onto WEST ST. 0.4 miles Map

30: Turn RIGHT onto MAIN ST. <0.1 miles

Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM

9,523 posts, read 11,284,672 times
I'd guess your odds of going into a lake in your vehicle are similar to your odds of being struck by lightning.
Possible, but you're just as likely to see Ed McMahon knocking on your door with a big $$prize.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,868,666 times
The most direct and quickest route from Bradley Airport is I91 north to Exit 3 and then east on Rte 9. Of course there are side routes to bypass a very short section of Vt, US 5 being one of them and then take Rte 63 or Rte 10 which basically just puts you east of the Ct River. The alternate routes ate slower, narrower, and go through towns. I have driven virtually all of the cross border routes over the years and just two weeks ago took some real obscure back roads from Ft Devens west and then north into NH before heading home to Vt.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Too bad for me I cant just fly. It would make things so much easier, land at Manchester Airport and then drive right to Keene. We will be coming in late at night, so depending on the weather, I am thinking we might stay at a hotel near Bradley and just tackle the drive in the daylight. A 2.5 hour drive is alot especially after coming across country on the train. Tara when we finally move out there...I owe you a hot chocolate or coffee for all the info you have given me over the past few months and for the great pics!!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 PM

9,523 posts, read 11,284,672 times
What airlines serve Bradley Airport?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
What airlines serve Bradley Airport?
Air Canada Jazz, American West, American Airlines, American Eagle, Continental Airline, Continental Express, Delta, Frontier Airlines, Midwest Connect, Northwest/KLM, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, United Express, US Airways and US Airways Express....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont