Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:25 PM

18,363 posts, read 26,571,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
If more people would move to VT because of jobs and more jobs were created, would the state population increase to the point that it loses its charm?
I think so. A hint of that can be seen in Chittenden County. Most of that county doesn't feel like Vermont to me, it's just becoming bland suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM

819 posts, read 1,498,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I think so. A hint of that can be seen in Chittenden County. Most of that county doesn't feel like Vermont to me, it's just becoming bland suburbia.
I think Chitty feels like Southern NH next to a lake......hints of what was a beautiful area and then.....RT 7.......etc.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:16 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,476 times
You guys have nailed it. Vermont would be no different than any other state. I live in Chittenden County because I have to for work. This county is no different than any other state with suburbs.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 PM

986 posts, read 2,339,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
You guys have nailed it. Vermont would be no different than any other state. I live in Chittenden County because I have to for work. This county is no different than any other state with suburbs.
While it may not be very different in look/feel from most suburban areas in other states, it's different in that it's in Vermont and close to what Vermont has to offer.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:00 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
While it may not be very different in look/feel from most suburban areas in other states, it's different in that it's in Vermont and close to what Vermont has to offer.
I think that depends on what you look at as far as offerings. I grew up in Easton, CT, a suburban/rural town in Southwest CT. Many of the towns north of Easton, including Easton itself had the New England charm you find here in VT (one of the reasons I chose VT was because of the similarity). If you take many of the Northeastern states you will find the same. Eastern NY and Western Mass are perfect examples. I'm not saying other states are better than Vermont, but I have yet to find a person who is able to distinguish the difference between one of these states from each other. All that is there is a state border. People, landscape, etc don't change because of a state line. Laws and policies are what are different, but that is another story.
I may be different than most, but living in Chittenden County doesn't really make the rest of the state accesable. Working 5 days a week with weekends off doesn't leave much time to hit other parts of the state, especially when I spend a good chunk of my time on the weekends making up for things that need to be done around the house or activities with the kids. Outdoor activities have to be quick and local to get to. For physical activity, we spend most of our time on the bike path or a gym we have in the basement. I think this is true no matter where you go in most states. Going to visit a state for recreation is different than living somewhere and going through the daily grind. My daughter put this into prespective for me. She lives in RI and when we have gone down for a visit, we explore the area. We have asked her, have you seen this or done that? The answer is, no or when do you expect me to find time to do that?

Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM

130 posts, read 277,264 times
Quote:
……. I have yet to find a person who is able to distinguish the difference between one of these states from each other. All that is there is a state border. People, landscape, etc don't change because of a state line. Laws and policies are what are different, but that is another story.

Are you serious? Really?

Geographically VT, NH, MA and CT are very different. The mountains in NH are of a much larger scale, MA is flatter and CT even more so. The differences are clear when traveling north to south or east to west. Eastern NY is more like central [north to south] VT.

I find that the people do change state to state but less so the more rural the area. State cultures are just different and it's more apparent the further you get into each state.

Quote:
….I may be different than most, but living in Chittenden County doesn't really make the rest of the state accesable. Working 5 days a week with weekends off doesn't leave much time to hit other parts of the state, especially when I spend a good chunk of my time on the weekends making up for things that need to be done around the house or activities with the kids. Outdoor activities have to be quick and local to get to. For physical activity, we spend most of our time on the bike path or a gym we have in the basement. I think this is true no matter where you go in most states. Going to visit a state for recreation is different than living somewhere and going through the daily grind. My daughter put this into prespective for me. She lives in RI and when we have gone down for a visit, we explore the area. We have asked her, have you seen this or done that? The answer is, no or when do you expect me to find time to do that?
Go live in the west and then say living in Chitt doesn't make the state accessible. When I lived in Utah for a while we'd drive 3 hours on the weekend just to visit a friend. Seems like everything out west took 2-4 hours of driving. I won't even bother with my time in TX other than to say, no matter where you're going, when you get to TX you're only half way there. Three hours in VT takes you from Canada to MA!

There is tons of amazing things to do within 40 minutes of burlington. If you don't make the time, that's your issue not a lack of access. 40 minutes takes anyone from the countless opportunities of the Champlain Valley north to the Canadian border down to almost addison or to the top of the Green Mountains and all the possibilities they hold.

I guess it's about you priorities in life. TV and the Internet seem to be the main activity of a lot of people that don't have any time. [not suggesting you 68, just an observation]

Bottom line and a total cliché but when you live anywhere in VT and you aren't working, you're on vacation.

A very incomplete list of what's available within 40 minutes if you're based in west central VT;

Sailing
Waterskiing
Sailboarding
Kiteboarding
Snorkeling
Scuba diving
Lake fishing
River fishing
Jet skiing
Museums [several]
Historic sites [several]
Swimming
Shooting [clay target/rifle/pistol sports]
Biking [road/MT and path]
Hiking/walking
Hunting
Skiing [alpine/XC/snowboarding. A year round world class biathlon facility]
Tennis
Rock climbing [indoors and out]
Paint ball
ATV riding
Camping [at one of several state parks or on the Long Trail]
Artisan crafts [glass blowing/etc.]
Farm tours
Canoeing [lake/flat or white water]
Speciality "food" [breweries/coffee/cheese/etc.
Dog shows/events
Snowmobiling
Car shows [antique/British/hotrod]
Food wine tasting events
Hot air ballon shows/rides
Horse shows
Bird watching [the hawk migration from Mt. Philo is amazing]
Just plain going for a walk in the deep woods [without a map or cell phone!]
Endless speciality events in Stowe, the MRV and other towns not to mention all of those in Burlington.

Things are what you make of them I guess.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,296,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
The mountains in NH are of a much larger scale.
Is skiing better in NH?

Old 12-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Define "better".

Old 12-24-2013, 12:19 PM

129 posts, read 235,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
Define "better".
More good.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM

A gross oversimplification;

VT, steeper and narrower, areas spread out around the state.

NH, wider and not as steep, area more centrally located. [core of White Mountains]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont