Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:14 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTLaw2011 View Post

Thank you! I'm not a fan of federal taxes but I wouldn't mind paying state or local taxes. I think there is more of a transparency there and you can actually see if the taxes are being used in a productive and efficient manner. Politically, I think I'd fit in O.K. in VT. I consider myself to be a liberal Republican (a New England Republican) with a libertarian live-and-let-live bent. I don't like taxes, but I believe in a social safety net, I think the environment should be preserved, but encourage smart economic growth, I don't believe in gun control, but do believe in civil unions.

Funny how people still have this Red State, Blue State idea in their minds. Certain states may lean a certain way, but we're really all purple. haha

All in all, studying law in VT will be very intellectually exciting. I especially look forward to talking to local people and seeing their opinions on things and what they think the role of the law should be.
A friend of mine graduated from VLS this past year and is taking on a huge task. As progressive as many of the laws may be there are many things that are very screwed up. He is doing a project on documenting actual wetlands in the state. Many years ago when the wetlands where classified as wetlands it was done in a poor manner. They went up in an airplane and took photos and classified wetlands by a picture. This missed many wetlands in wooded areas and actually some homes with metal roofs(due to the reflection) were classified as wetlands(no joke). We need more environmental lawyers who are willing to come to Vermont and help make the laws more progressive than any other state and at the same time openly fix the mistakes that were made in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM

45 posts, read 307,513 times
I'm finding this discussion really very good as I'm considering a move to the South Royalton area - SoRo is the abbreviation correct? My place of employment may be Vt. Law.

MRVphotog and Lilybeans - are you both familiar with the area and Vt. Law?

I would love to hear more about living in this area and more about the community of Vt. Law.

I'm coming from the DC metro area - N. VA. I work in higher education administration but have a MS in environmental science and policy. I'm originally from AK and prefer the cold to the heat. DC is so populated, overdeveloped, rude and fast-paced. I'd love to slow down and enjoy the outdoors. I'm young, single and unattached so a move like this would be fairly easy at this time in my life. I realize the area is rural so I'm considering the White River Junction/Hanover area as well - maybe just for the easy of shopping. Folks on this site have also suggested Montpelier but I think its a tad too far to drive.

Please chat on about South Roaylton, Vt. Law and the general area.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:46 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,039,375 times
I am very familiar with the area and the school. SoRo is South Royalton. What kind of job will you have at VLS?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 AM

I don't have a position yet, but there may be an opening that I would apply for. Things are still very, very up in the air. It would be primarily administrative though. I've had very few interactions with people from the school but they have been very nice, warm and friendly. I would never consider moving without a job.

I've not yet visited and am considering a short trip late this spring. My concern is that I'm romanticizing the area. I want to make an informed decision about my ability to relocate should a position open. I looked on the schools website at some of their links to housing and the places seemed so rustic and charming. I'm really just trying to get an idea what the area is like, the people, ect. It would be a huge move for me and I don't want to go into blind. I'm from AK but have been in No. VA for 15 years and am a bit concerned I've gone soft and might struggle with the snow, and darkness.

One thing I do not like about my current location is the urban sprawl, traffic and just plain craziness. Why we have to develop every acer of open space bewilders me. I'd love to find a place where I can slow down and enjoy life, smell the roses if you will. However, I have grown accustom to the ease of obtaining "things" here - which would not be the case in SoRo - or perhaps the White River Junction area. How far of a drive is Wht. Rvr. Jct. from SoRo? Is it doable? I'm also really uncertain what a "good" salary is by VT standards. My salary her in No. VA is terrible by DC standards but I have no idea what it translates too in VT. I'd plan to rent. Any thoughts?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 AM

28 posts, read 67,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
A friend of mine graduated from VLS this past year and is taking on a huge task. As progressive as many of the laws may be there are many things that are very screwed up. He is doing a project on documenting actual wetlands in the state. Many years ago when the wetlands where classified as wetlands it was done in a poor manner. They went up in an airplane and took photos and classified wetlands by a picture. This missed many wetlands in wooded areas and actually some homes with metal roofs(due to the reflection) were classified as wetlands(no joke). We need more environmental lawyers who are willing to come to Vermont and help make the laws more progressive than any other state and at the same time openly fix the mistakes that were made in the past.
That actually sounds very interesting and I would love to take on something like that. I'm glad to see there is a need for environmental lawyers there.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
However, I have grown accustom to the ease of obtaining "things" here - which would not be the case in SoRo - or perhaps the White River Junction area. How far of a drive is Wht. Rvr. Jct. from SoRo? Is it doable? I'm also really uncertain what a "good" salary is by VT standards. My salary her in No. VA is terrible by DC standards but I have no idea what it translates too in VT. I'd plan to rent. Any thoughts?
Everything is available over the internet, of course.

If you want to shop in West Lebanon, which is right over the border, its a 7-10 minute ride to Sharon, where you pick up I-89 and it's 15 minutes to West Leb, 20 to Hanover. White River is really not a place you would go to shop; West Leb is right across the river from White River.

It depends what you want to buy, though. Things are available in SoRo too.

Montpelier is 1/2 hour away. Woodstock is 20 minutes, just over the mountain, but a beautiful ride.

There is plenty to do. There are a lot of rentals around, and on an executive salary you would have no trouble renting a decent place.

Even Burlington isn't very far. The great thing about driving in Vt is there is no traffic or traffic lights. 20 minutes of driving is actual driving on nice roads, not stop and go suburban nightmares (except for parts of Burlington)

I think it is a beautiful area and would live there in a heartbeat.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
and on an executive salary you would have no trouble renting a decent place.
Snort!!!... executive salary huh? LOL. you gotta be kidding! What do you think an executive salary would be - just asking?

So, from SoRo - Montpelier is 30 min. White River is what, 15 no? I get the feeling that West Lebanon, Lebanon and Hanover (basically the "Dartmouth" area) is what 45 min? can you correct me?

dwiggin3

Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
Snort!!!... executive salary huh? LOL. you gotta be kidding! What do you think an executive salary would be - just asking?

So, from SoRo - Montpelier is 30 min. White River is what, 15 no? I get the feeling that West Lebanon, Lebanon and Hanover (basically the "Dartmouth" area) is what 45 min? can you correct me?

dwiggin3
15 to 20 to West Leb. Another 10 to Hanover.

West Leb and White River are separated by a bridge.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,860,833 times
Speaking of salaries only 7% of Vermont tax filers report incomes of 100k and above, which is a fraction of those who have spent time and money to become "educated." Now, I am not trying to imply that money in itself is the most important aspect of life, but here in Vt managing finances is challenging so for some a move here could require a lifestyle modification from what they may be used to.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,085,653 times
White River actually has some places I shop at--it's getting built up, though you would be better off calling it 'motel and hotel' central. So many motels and hotels are situated on Skykes (a road) or near by.

WRJ has a very cool co-op I get my herbal medicine from. I know it's gritty and a bit 'out there' but I like WRJ. They're trying to improve it (new shopping and so on). People are more colorful there than my town (ye oldie and tourist central of VT). lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont