Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,197,170 times

Advertisements

I've been posting here for quite a while and there is a definite thread to discourage outsiders from moving here for one reason or the other. I've always been extremely upbeat/positive in supporting others choices to relocate because I did as well. Thank goodness it wasn't based on this forum. Is it only people that dislike VT that post here? Is it the old timers getting access to the internet? Is it the people that moved and regret their decisions? Is it the plain ole family people that feel too guilty to leave?

My only feedbacks have been "thank you for the encourgement/positive response/positive outlook. So, why is there so much negative feedback on this site? If it's to help people decide a new "home" (oooh that warm and fuzzy place) why is there not more support? We all come from different walks of life and our ideas of home might equal peace that is found here.

Yes, I recently asked for alternate smaller towns to buy a house for my kid (closer to Burlington) and was told repeatedly to quit running her life etc....Why wasn't someone saying "Hey, this is a cute town, try here. I love this little town geared around young people, look here." Why don't people embrace/tout where they live on this site? I do every chance I get. Doesn't matter my minor frustrations, I CHOSE to live here. Just don't understand the lack of PRIDE And, if lack of pride isn't enough; why kabash anothers' dreams? Some give a realistic look but most paint a sordid picture of doom and gloom. Why?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,292,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Yes, I recently asked for alternate smaller towns to buy a house for my kid (closer to Burlington) and was told repeatedly to quit running her life etc....Why wasn't someone saying "Hey, this is a cute town, try here. I love this little town geared around young people, look here." Why don't people embrace/tout where they live on this site? ....Why?
That's because you included this information in your post about your daughter in your first post in that thread:

Quote:
She is 23, has always hated our NEK, misses her hometown (Houston) and all that comes with civilization. I'm thinking to buy her a very small house and wonder if it would be better to be between Barre and Burlington and possibly save money on the house?...

....I just can't wait to get her to a REAL town. Poor child cries when we drive somewhere and sees high rises...misses seeing them.
Compared to Houston, TX, there isn't a real town in Vermont. The girl misses big city life. We were warning you would waste money buying her a house in Vermont because she will leave someday. What else do you expect when you post how your daughter feels about living in a rural state

I love Vermont. I think it's beautiful. It's the right place for the right people. The Vermont forum isn't any different than the Pittsburgh forum. We're real and honest about where we live. We don't want people to come expecting something it's not. Outsiders and newcomers accuse Pittsburghers of not being as appreciative of what a great city Pittsburgh is.

We know it's a great place, just like Vermonters know it too. We just want people to come with their eyes wide open. It's a matter of ethics. Nobody wants to mislead someone. Moving is a big step and hugely expensive. People are better off not making a move when it may have been good for them than making a move to find out it was a big mistake.

This is why CD is so great. Overly positive people balance overly negative people. You're the balance. You're doing your part, even with creating this thread. You wouldn't have been wise to have not used your daughter as an example though since she clearly wasn't as happy with the move to Vermont as you were. To be fair, you should let newcomers with children know your daughter hates NEK.

Keep in mind that Vermonters aren't keen on newcomers unless they are truly cut out for it. You're not a native. You don't have the same motivation to protect what Vermonters love about Vermont.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Yep misses her Houston from the memory of age 5

And I might have more motivation to keep Vermont what it was than the natives have the cajones to do. But I don't need to go there with you because you don't know me or you wouldn't bring that up. Again, how can we deter another persons passion? Point made.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Yep misses her Houston from the memory of age 5
It's not everyone else's fault that you excluded important information. That doesn't change the fact the girl hates NEK.

Quote:
Again, how can we deter another persons passion? Point made.
You haven't made a point at all. Few people have blind passion when they move somewhere. They sure wouldn't need to come to CD if their minds are so passionately set. Most people want accurate information to make an informed decision.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's not everyone else's fault that you excluded important information. That doesn't change the fact the girl hates NEK.

You haven't made a point at all. Few people have blind passion when they move somewhere. They sure wouldn't need to come to CD if their minds are so passionately set. Most people want accurate information to make an informed decision.
No, you made the point dear and will continue to do so. I'm not an argumen

tative type, knock your socks off.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM

317 posts, read 749,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Quote:
No, you made the point dear and will continue to do so. I'm not an argumen

tative type, knock your socks off.
Hopes you seem to always have to have the last word again and again and again. I can't understand how beside your name it says you won $500 how I haven't a clue.

This from someone that had a run-in with a "true Vermonter" that wouldn't help her last year and you vowed to not come back but you did anyway, what's with that no real opportunity in working the ski slopes for your husband in Colorado as you stated you would do this year?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
Hopes you seem to always have to have the last word again and again and again.
Look back in this thread. I let swanstone have the last word.

I know you will want to have the last word because that's how you were last time you and I danced.

It will be miraculous if you prove me wrong and don't respond to this post.

Quote:
I can't understand how beside your name it says you won $500 how I haven't a clue.
That's why I won and you won't.

Quote:
This from someone that had a run-in with a "true Vermonter" that wouldn't help her last year and you vowed to not come back but you did anyway, what's with that no real opportunity in working the ski slopes for your husband in Colorado as you stated you would do this year?
It seems you have a reading comprehension problem. That must be a struggle for you. We vacationed in Vermont for the past few winters. We were considering relocating to Vermont full time, but decided we'd scout out the Rockies instead. We have already been to Colorado and Montana this winter. We're going to Utah later this month. As far as Vermont is concerned, we've decided to merely rent a second home there because it's easier and cheaper to visit regularly that way. If you need Cliff Notes on any other subjects, I'll gladly help you out.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,156 times
Welll....since this thread is going nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont