Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 AM

304 posts, read 397,296 times

Advertisements

Hi Group,

Do you think that Marijuana will ever be fully legal, for adults 21 or older, for RECREATIONAL USE, such as it is now/today, in Colorado and Washington states?

My wife & I are considering moving out west, partially because of this, but I don't really want to move out of beautiful New England, where I have spent my 62 years, so far!
I LOVE New England, our cilmate, our Winters,etc.

I'm just starting to feel like the original Pilgrims, who left England in 1620, on the Mayflower, to escape from religious and political persecution.

I feel like we have Political and Legal persecution NOW, in regards to Weed.

I am 62 years young, run a small firewood business, pay my taxes, go to church, and am a normal healthy, sane (?) human male, who doesn't drink alcohol, but does enjoy a smoke, each evening, AFTER WORK, at HOME, never driving after use, etc.

Why should I have to feel like a criminal, and 'hide' what I enjoy?
I never bother anyone, I never hurt anyone.

What is the general consensus on this, with my Vermont-neighbor, brothers & sisters?

Thanks, for any input on this topic!
and God Bless.

CTwoodnutt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I'm guessing yes eventually. If put to a vote of the people I'd guess it would pass quickly.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM

Whoops, I mispelled the word Climate.

...sorry...

CTwoodnutt.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:03 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
The short answer is Yes, it will be legal someday.

I would say that the majority of people in the U.S. have tried pot at sometime in their life (and lived to tell the tale). Because of that, people are less apt to believe the "Reefer Madness" horror stories that are out there. Also, a lot of people are watching Colorado & Washington to see how that goes. And mainly they are seeing the $$$$$$$ that are being made on the industry. Also, people are learning exactly WHO are the users. It is not the anti-social, drop-out of humanity type crowd. It is the businesspeople, soccer parents, & upstanding members of society that engage in the (now) illegal activity, most who use it responsibly.

*Side note to CTWoodnut: The Pilgrims first went to Holland after leaving England where they indeed found religious freedom but they didn't like the fact that others were also practicing their religious freedoms. They wanted a society where everyone's religion HAD to be theirs. So, they came to the "new world" where they forced their religion on all the members of their settlement.

Cat

Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 PM

809 posts, read 998,220 times
Unfortunately, there is so much money invested in the anti-drug war that decriminalizing it is going to be tricky in Vermont. I look forward to having a legal and regulated production and distribution system similar to that for alcohol and tobacco-- it will get rid of the guns, criminality and violence employed in the name of profit. And cops will be just as busy busting the DUI grass driver as they are busting the DUI ETOH driver...

Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 PM

[quote=CatwomanofV;34232552]The short answer is Yes, it will be legal someday.

I would say that the majority of people in the U.S. have tried pot at sometime in their life (and lived to tell the tale). Because of that, people are less apt to believe the "Reefer Madness" horror stories that are out there. Also, a lot of people are watching Colorado & Washington to see how that goes. And mainly they are seeing the $$$$$$$ that are being made on the industry. Also, people are learning exactly WHO are the users. It is not the anti-social, drop-out of humanity type crowd. It is the businesspeople, soccer parents, & upstanding members of society that engage in the (now) illegal activity, most who use it responsibly.

*Side note to CTWoodnut: The Pilgrims first went to Holland after leaving England where they indeed found religious freedom but they didn't like the fact that others were also practicing their religious freedoms. They wanted a society where everyone's religion HAD to be theirs. So, they came to the "new world" where they forced their religion on all the members of their settlement.

Hi Catwomanofv,

I've highlighted your above statement about the Pligrims....
And if I may quote the Late Great Johnny Carson....."I DID NOT KNOW THAT.

Thanks for your reply here.

(Now I've gotta go research The Pilgrims....see what you did to me)!

BTW- The Pilgrims left England in 1620.
I'm interested in my local history and geography, here in Connecticut.
There was a small English settlement in Stratford CT right at the mouth of the beautiful Housatonic River in 1629.
Boy it didn't take those folks long to get around, huh?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
In Vermont? Probably.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 AM

221 posts, read 346,294 times
I'm quite positive it will. Even as it is right now, although illegal(but up to one ounce is decriminalized) it seems no one really cares if you smoke. I've smelled pot at the church st parking structure in burlington(right next to city hall!) almost every time I go there. My wife smokes(although that is to get out of pain being she has no access to medical marijuana just yet), our landlords/neighbors smoke, people that we know that work right next to us smoke...it seems like if you haven't done pot at least once in your life you're not a true vermonter(no offense to those here that have not - it is only a joke!)

Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Not a smoker (of any sort) and find the whole premise of moving west partly because of legal pot use in two states sort of odd. I'm not passing judgement, so please forgive me if it sounds that way.

You've used the word partly in describing your consideration for the move and that tells me that there are other reasons, beyond legal pot, causing you to contemplate the move. I don't want to be intrusive, but might I ask what the other factors would be?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Default Hi OhBeeHave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Not a smoker (of any sort) and find the whole premise of moving west partly because of legal pot use in two states sort of odd. I'm not passing judgment, so please forgive me if it sounds that way.

You've used the word partly in describing your consideration for the move and that tells me that there are other reasons, beyond legal pot, causing you to contemplate the move. I don't want to be intrusive, but might I ask what the other factors would be?
Well, I'm really just looking for more personal freedom, especially in regards to Cannabis.
Here in the East it's fully illegal. You can't grow it.

What, I can't grow A SIMPLE PLANT????

I call this a lack of personal freedom, don't you.

I'm not bothering anyone else, in doing this, I'm not hurting anyone else in doing this, no kids are involved, etc.

So, why is this so wrong & hence Illegal, with such harsh/Draconian Penalties involved?

THAT'S my reason & Point here.

In Colorado & Washington states, one can legally GROW 6 plants, go to a store ('Dispensary') and legally buy it.

To me, Cannabis seems less 'Demonized' out West, and minds are more Liberal (aka 'Modern' ) than here in the East.

That's all.

Thanks for your input here, Sir!
I appreciate it!

CTwoodnutt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: