Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM

15 posts, read 10,511 times

Advertisements

Aw c'mon now, that's not fair!

Really? huh
I was looking at cars in MA vs FL and the difference was about $2000 cheaper in MA.
Once I have more free time I hope to figure something out because just thinking about the move has been giving me a bit of a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,737 times
If you are going to buy a new car, then I would buy here or down there. If you want a used car, you are better off buying a southern car. The salt and brine cause not only issues with the body (cars are better protected now than 20 years ago), but it also causes prblems on areas most people do not pay attention to such as everything on the undercarriage. Another risk with buying a car in upsatate NY, Vermont or NH is you may not know where the car was mostly driven. There are a lot of dirt roads up here and the road conditions can beat the hell out of a cars suspension. I do a fair amount of car repair as a hobby and as favors for friends. You can pay a mechanic a decent sum of money to replace ball joints and tie-rod ends as well as getting the vehicle aligned. It won't be $1000, but the cost can be significant and then there is the possibility there is something else wrong.
UVM as you read is expensive. They are raising the tuition again. It was just approved about two weeks ago. UVM is the most expensive state university in the country. Some programs there are very good and others are not so good. You will have to research a little more to find out about the history program.
I don't think you will have a horrible time getting a job, but the pay will most likely be less than adequate. Don't compare the income to FL income. The cost of living will be very different.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointproven View Post
Aw c'mon now, that's not fair!

Really? huh
I was looking at cars in MA vs FL and the difference was about $2000 cheaper in MA.
Once I have more free time I hope to figure something out because just thinking about the move has been giving me a bit of a headache.

I don't know FL as I said, I was just thinking about other places in the South I've lived/worked.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM

15 posts, read 10,511 times
Thank you! I really appreciate your thoughts!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know FL as I said, I was just thinking about other places in the South I've lived/worked.
In most cases, you can't compare a car from up here to one down south. The condition of the car will be worse for a car up here, even if it's only a couple years old. The only time I would say a car would be in the same condition is if it was garaged in the winter or brand new. Even one-two years will cause corrosion on the undercarrige. As you will find out, salt is nasty stuff. It also takes a toll in interior areas such as carpets.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,379,600 times
Not just cheaper, in much better shape.

You don't have to buy it in FL, maybe you can get it partway between here and there and get temp plates. Just don't drive through Mass as they do not recognize temp plates.

Don't say I didn't warn you when you get up here and how much rusty clunkers cost. You will get more car for your money down south and that may well make up for the cost of transport and hassle. Hubby flew to NC to get a car and drove it back up here, just sayin'.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
In most cases, you can't compare a car from up here to one down south. The condition of the car will be worse for a car up here, even if it's only a couple years old. The only time I would say a car would be in the same condition is if it was garaged in the winter or brand new. Even one-two years will cause corrosion on the undercarrige. As you will find out, salt is nasty stuff. It also takes a toll in interior areas such as carpets.

I get that, I lived in both (most of my life in WI, VT, and MA) I was thinking price and condition. I'd buy down there and drive it myself, as I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont