Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,194,400 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there have been postings for this but can't remember any helpful hints you all seem to have.....

A dear friend is moving to Brattleboro area this summer and is conflicted about in-town vs. rural. Job is actually secured in Keene, but he prefers to live in VT. Is it a walking town with anything to do or does it matter? I've heard of drug problems further south (and yes other parts as well) is it a problem there? I think I've driven through it once and don't really remember it. Any honest opinions are appreciated since everyone here is quite good with their responses. I thank you and so does my friends Mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 AM

5,856 posts, read 5,297,479 times
I loved in the Brattleboro area back in the 1990s, and even then drugs were a problem. Most of it came up from Conn.-Hartford to be exact. I'm sure it has gotten worse. That being said, when I was there, it was sort of an artsy place-very laid back, bohemian-type. I don't know if it still is that way or not.

In terms of a walking town, there are really two sections to Bratt. You have the downtown area which is very walkable & then you have upper Route 5/9 which is more of a shopping area which isn't quite as walkable. And it is not very walkable to get from one area to the other.

I did not live in Bratt but West Dummerston-in a cabin on a mountain-off of Route 30. But I worked in Bratt. If they are going to be working in Keene, my advice is to look for something north of Route 9 off of Route 5-like Putney or Dummerston. It is rural but I think the area is nicer than Bratt.

That is my opinion.

Cat

Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 PM

675 posts, read 646,515 times
I went to college in Putnery in the mid-90's. I now live in my native San Diego. But I loved the Tri-State Region back then, and especially Brattleboro. Loved going to Mocha Joe's for maple coffee. Loved just walking Main Street. Strange but intriguing mix of urban and small-town. Many relocate to the area from Boston, NYC, Baltimore, and smaller towns. Bratt is 12,000 nowadays and Putney maybe 2000?

It very much had a hippie/artsy vibe back then. USA Today called it a college town without the college. And that's pretty much right. Lots of academic types driving their very old Subarus and Saabs and such.

I do hear that there is a pronounced drug problem now. That seemed not to be the case back in the mid-90's, but maybe I just chose to ignore it.

Look them both up on the web, maybe in Wikipedia. I'd post links, but I'mnot sure what the rules are here for that.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:06 PM

302 posts, read 869,346 times
As a native of the area who moved away, I would advise him to move to Keene rather than Brattleboro.

There are some decent walking trails in town if that's what you mean by "a walking town." Otherwise, not so much. If he lives in Bratt but works in Keene he will need a car. Public transportation is almost nonexistent.

It's not a very happening town and he will end up driving to Keene or Western MA for shopping & entertainment.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 PM

132 posts, read 196,188 times
Don't forget, if your friend works in NH and lives in NH, no income tax (unless self-employed). Work in NH and live in VT and there will be Vt. income tax + commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: