Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:42 PM

205 posts, read 245,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalassie View Post
Hey folks,

My husband I are planning to flee the mess in NC (specifically politics and the blight of land consumption). We're looking at Middlebury, Montpelier, and St Johnsbury. We've visited all three in the past, though not as a potential place to live, as we were wearing our rose-colored tourist glasses. My husband has a job and can telecommute from anywhere. I'm thinking we'd be okay up your way financially, at least when I've run the numbers we are - he makes $100K and I don't work. We want up there what we have down here and is being encroached upon by "progress" - a small farm, but the way it used to be. That way of life is long gone, even in the nooks and crannies of the deepest mountains.

Thing is, I'm Southern. I wouldn't normally have considered that a big deal, except for the shock of the winter season, but in reading past threads, I was floored to learn that Southerners have a reputation of being fake. Seriously, that was news to me. I'm from a rednecky, farming family in the NC mountains, and the NEK is right up my alley. Junk and plunder on the front porch is part of the scenery down in these parts. I've got an accent, and I say funny things that even folks down in the NC lowlands scratch their heads about. So while I might think I fit in just fine in the NEK, I've gotten the message on the forums that a big-time NYC urbanite might be more welcome than the likes of me? Is that accurate? If I were single it'd be one thing, but I've got kids, and I want them to fit in and find the Vermont love. I tend to jabber, flirt with babies and old men, and sometimes touch strangers for emphasis when talking. I don't even think about it. But if that's going to alienate my family, I need to find somewhere else to put down roots.

We're liberal, certainly crunchy by NC standards, secular homeschoolers, who like to do a lot of outdoor sports, specifically xc-skiing, fishing, and sculling. We're looking for a super-solid community of friends and neighbors. I know that comes with time, I'm from the mountains, after all.

Any clarity on the Southern issue would be appreciated, or any other moving thoughts. Had no idea folks felt hostility for Southerners. I just thought it was a German/Italian, Labrador/Shepherd sort of thing. One is friendly and boisterous, and the other more stoic and reserved.

Thanks a bunch!
Flirt with babies and old men? Wth?

Quote:
Yes, we will still homeschool. Thanks for the MRV suggestions, will take a peek at those.

Don't be so sure Mtneer, your Yankee folk get a little antsy when they hear me speak, fearing I'll go all Deliverance on them or fry them for vittles.
Though I am afraid to ask, what the heck is a vittle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM

56 posts, read 75,562 times
Vittle can be a multitude of things, mostly food, though my granny used it to refer to her husband's "unmentionables," as she also called it, for which I'm grateful never made it to her crying pan.
What? Y'all are so stoic that you don't flirt with babies? I don't believe it for a minute. And old men down here are the biggest flirts we've got. I suspect our notion of flirting is just a difference in semantics. I'm not talking about teenagers coming on to each other kind of flirting, but I'm beginning to get the idea how a southerner's way of communicating is misinterpreted by other cultures.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM

That'd be a frying pan....

Old 06-25-2014, 06:35 PM

205 posts, read 245,414 times
Quote:
Vittle can be a multitude of things, mostly food, though my granny used it to refer to her husband's "unmentionables," as she also called it, for which I'm grateful never made it to her crying pan.
What? Y'all are so stoic that you don't flirt with babies? I don't believe it for a minute. And old men down here are the biggest flirts we've got. I suspect our notion of flirting is just a difference in semantics. I'm not talking about teenagers coming on to each other kind of flirting, but I'm beginning to get the idea how a southerner's way of communicating is misinterpreted by other cultures.
I am just not sure what you mean by flirt with babies...? Do you mean play with them?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Well, play, of course, but more like when you see a baby passing you in a cart at the store or sitting in a carriage on the street, and you'd play peep-pie or something to interact with them to get them to smile - just open their world a bit bigger.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:04 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,380,177 times
I just had a baby flirt with me at the checkout just now and I am about as Yankee as you can get.

Just be yourself hun. (But don't wear a Yankees t-shirt )

Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Now see, I knew there was some jelly underneath that shell!

I can't even imagine how deranged I'd have to be before I willing wore a Yankees shirt.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,972,085 times
Lassie- sounds like we are very close to the same part of the NC mountains. My family and I are also looking to escape to Vermont, hopefully next June.

Btw, I totally knew what you meant by,"flirting with babies and old men", lol.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 PM

Ooo! Why are y'all leaving? And do you know where in VT you'll land? I think I saw that you're up at blowing rock? Did you grow up there? I hate to leave my beloved mountains (and my hot, sticky beach trips), but I'm done.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,380,177 times
I'm headed to GA myself hun. Paula Deen country. Guess I'll have to get a bit more flowery but I don't think I can handle the drawl. Can't wait to get outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont