Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 AM

243 posts, read 264,896 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am interested in visiting the Quechee Gorge area. I would like to take my kiddies to visit an ice cream making and a cheese making operation while in the area. However, I do not want to take them to anything touristy or industrial in size or nature. I am concerned visiting Cabot's or Ben and Jerry's might be like that. Can anyone offer recommendations? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 AM

9 posts, read 40,094 times
We were at cabots last week...it's big business, the tour is small townish. It's 2.00$ for the tour and you each get a rubber wrist band and samples ...well worth the visit.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 PM

190 posts, read 652,907 times
I prefer the Cabot tour over Ben and Jerry's. BJs has you watch a video, go upstairs to see the workers walking around the packaging floor, and then eat a sample of ice cream. It is always extremely crowded and overrated, in my opinion. My tour at Cabot was small, about 10 people or so, and they take you through all the steps of the cheesemaking process. I really felt like I learned something from it and it did not feel touristy.

Other suggestions: Billings Farm is a little touristy, but the old farm buildings and house are beautiful and the kids will enjoy seeing the animals. There is a very short (under 1/4 mile) path that leads down from the Gorge bridge to the water. You can either take the path up or down- up will bring you to the reservoir, down will bring you to the river. Both are pretty walks. VINS nature center will interest kids who find birds of prey fascinating. The bird demonstration allows you to get close to a real hawk. I really enjoy the giant antique mall that's just down from the gorge. The kids will like the train museum on the lower level.

All of Woodstock and the surrounding area will be touristy and crowded this time of year- it is one of the most visited areas of VT by out of staters. Have a great trip!

Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
I've got just the place for you. Back in the dark ages, I remember a school field trip to this place, complete with the odors of sour milk on a warm summer day. (Odors were much more common and pronounced in the past when a majority of folks smoked and before people thought much about pollution.)

The Plymouth Cheese Factory, located in Plymouth, Vermont, is the second oldest cheesemaking operation in the United States. John Coolidge, the father of President Calvin Coolidge, started the cheese factory in 1890. The Coolidge family produced cheese until 1998. In 2009 Jesse Werner took over the Plymouth Cheese Factory as the new cheesemaker.

Home | Plymouth Artisan Cheese

Plymouth Notch is a quiet small place and you can also tour Silent Cal's home.

Calvin Coolidge Homestead--Presidents: A Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary
Calvin Coolidge | Historic Sites

Unfortunately, the UVM Dairy Bar has been defunct for over ten years. Skip the ice cream making (you can make it at home) and wander over to Billings Farm, which is much closer anyway.
Billings Farm and Museum of Woodstock, Vermont

Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Hi Harry, Vermonr, & MrRustyMac,
Thanks for the tips. These small places sound like just what we need. I am trying to avoid forced videos on tours of megafacilities.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,496,855 times
The Ben and Jerrys tour is an epic waste of time and money. Your better off going to the local gas station and buying a pint of the stuff for 5$ and saving your time.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
The Ben and Jerrys tour is an epic waste of time and money. Your better off going to the local gas station and buying a pint of the stuff for 5$ and saving your time.
Hi Chris,
Thanks for commenting. Your experience describes what I am trying to avoid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont