Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,844,121 times

Advertisements

I know Vermont has some issues regarding school financing(teacher pay low, costs high) but this report confirms my personal experience with the school system. Let the bashing begin

2014′s States with the Best and Worst School Systems | WalletHub®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,842,557 times
Most of the New England states fared pretty well. I think historically we have placed an emphasis on education, that could be one reason. Even if the schools are underfunded people in New England usually try to support their kids in getting an education. We know education is important.

Another reason could be that we aren't struggling with hoards of non-English speaking students. States that have large Spanish speaking areas have to spend a lot of time and money hiring Spanish speaking teachers and they don't have luxury of teaching the basics. The ordinary kids tend to get left behind, I think, in favor of the kids who have more pressing needs.

Some of the southern states have always been famous for bad schools so it's easy to come out ahead of them.

(not a very scientific or well thought out analysis, I know, but just some passing thoughts.)

Old 08-06-2014, 06:09 PM

18,329 posts, read 26,574,689 times
The problem is the spending. The results should be better considering what we're spending. The private schools I attended spend a fraction of what the public schools are per student with better results. I know some will say they can be selective, but they weren't really. We could cut the public school spending considerably and remain high on the list of states for education if we budget wisely.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,842,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The problem is the spending. The results should be better considering what we're spending. The private schools I attended spend a fraction of what the public schools are per student with better results. I know some will say they can be selective, but they weren't really. We could cut the public school spending considerably and remain high on the list of states for education if we budget wisely.
I taught in MA and I remember one of the worst fears, unfortunately, of the administrators was that the school system would get another special needs student. That meant hiring a new teacher and probably more money for other things. So a private school is selective.

But I agree with you about the budgeting. It seemed that there was always money being spent on some "new" method, something trendy, instead of allowing the teachers to teach. The building could be falling apart, the roof could be leaking (and it was) but they had to spend on teaching us silly "new" methods and often purchasing materials that were in line with these "innovations."

The administrators wanted their resumes to look good, hence, trendy innovations and the waste of money. Townspeople didn't pay attention. Teachers could see it but no one listened to us. Maybe some truly dedicated educators who put learning first and their own career in the background could make things better in the field of education.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 AM

809 posts, read 1,001,870 times
The strongest indicator of student success is parental income, which in part explains why private schools of the sort arctichomesteader attended have a perceived "cost/benefit" ratio: The parents are high-functioning individuals who have the financial and personal resources to incorporate their children's well-being into their plans for a good family life.

As in_newengland points out, public education is for all students, and the special ed types drive costs sky-high.

One of the drivers of the size of the special ed population is the problem of low birthweight (LBW). LBW babies are 18% of the school population and 50% of the failure to complete ( they're also 95% of the 19-24 prison population). If women are allowed to determine how many children they want to have (i.e, supported in access to family planning) and provided the resources to avoid substance abuse, domestic abuse, alcoholism and smoking (and exposure to second-hand smoke) during pregnancy, it would do much to eliminate the excessive costs of special education. It's not a problem with an easy fix.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,643,484 times
It better be one of the best. It certainly is one of the most expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont