Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times

Advertisements

I think that is the the thing. I tried the Hannafords near Russos, and while it is fine, it just did not have the selection.

Other than that, I would have no issue shopping there if there was one I didn't have to drive to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Separating the OP's personal situation from the meat of the discussion.........

Doesn't this really come down to the fact that while many of us like the idea of the government staying out of things, for every child/person that can thrive in that environment there are one or more who would end up either taking advantage of the system or becoming a longer term burden to the state?

So how as a governing body do you find a balance to allow the freedom for home schoolers to guide their children's education while putting enough safeguards in place to at least minimize the impact of the second group who eventually go off the reservation and become a burden?
Well there are several reasons for home schooling, some parents aren't satisfied with the quality of their local public school, but somewhat worrisome is when the parents aren't approving of what's being taught in the public schools. Of the former reason, I think that it'd be a good idea for home schooled children to be registered with their towns and once a month, have a get together (kids and parents) to see how they are doing academically. For instance, making sure that their math skills are up to par with their peer groups. And to make such that the children are happy and not missing socializing with other children their age

Otherwise, what if the agenda in the home schooling is teaching their kids creationism and telling them that there is no such thing as evolution? Is that acceptable to the rest of society?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Otherwise, what if the agenda in the home schooling is teaching their kids creationism and telling them that there is no such thing as evolution? Is that acceptable to the rest of society?
I don't think we have a right to say that's unacceptable when the public schools only teach one view. I was raised Catholic and went through an atheist phase before settling on liberal agnostic, and I believe public schools should teach all views. I remember reading another country's public schools have a class called "world religions" that covers all main beliefs from evolution, creationism, reincarnation, etc.. I believe it's important children are taught the different beliefs of other members of our society and world, not only so they can form their own conclusions but so they can also learn tolerance and respect of other people's views. Sadly, that type of education is only available in the United States via the most prestigious non-religious private schools.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:09 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think we have a right to say that's unacceptable when the public schools only teach one view. I was raised Catholic and went through an atheist phase before settling on liberal agnostic, and I believe public schools should teach all views. I remember reading another country's public schools have a class called "world religions" that covers all main beliefs from evolution, creationism, reincarnation, etc.. I believe it's important children are taught the different beliefs of other members of our society and world, not only so they can form their own conclusions but so they can also learn tolerance and respect of other people's views. Sadly, that type of education is only available in the United States via the most prestigious non-religious private schools.
First, I only mentioned that as a possibility, since I know the OP to be very much pro-life.

Otherwise, I agree with your post but not 100%. Creationism is a belief based on a spiritual belief. It's based on faith and not at all based on science. And I do agree that there should be classes in public schools about world religions past and current, just to get some perspective on religion and religious conflicts. And does the bible really need to be taken so literally? It's a good guidebook for christians, but there's so much more to the history of mankind that can fit into that book, which was written by his original disciples. And the bible is written by men and rewritten over the centuries. Even today, archaeologists are still making discoveries about ancient civilizations, not to mention new discoveries by paleontologists (btw do you believe in dinosaurs?).

In addition, it seems to me that most of the problems in the world in terms of cultures not getting along is because some are taking their religion too seriously and doing some pretty evil stuff in the name of their god.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
And does the bible really need to be taken so literally? It's a good guidebook for christians, but there's so much more to the history of mankind that can fit into that book, which was written by his original disciples. And the bible is written by men and rewritten over the centuries. Even today, archaeologists are still making discoveries about ancient civilizations, not to mention new discoveries by paleontologists (btw do you believe in dinosaurs?).
I agree the bible shouldn't be taken literally, but I assure you that Catholic schools aren't using the bible to teach history. My son, who is a history buff, said he received the best history education during his two years (6th & 7th) at a Catholic school compared to his many years in public school. The public schools spend way too much time on American history and World history from a US perspective. It's bias. His Catholic history teacher told them they wouldn't learn any of the history she was teaching them until they got to college. When they moved on to public high school and later college, they learned she was right.

Quote:
In addition, it seems to me that most of the problems in the world in terms of cultures not getting along is because some are taking their religion too seriously and doing some pretty evil stuff in the name of their god.
That's exactly why I believe children should be taught about all major religions and the beliefs of others in an unbiased manner.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 PM

819 posts, read 1,496,121 times
Catholic School.......discuss..... :-)

Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 PM

57 posts, read 101,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAttica View Post
My wife and I left Vermont seven years ago and one of the reasons was how the state treated our homeschooling family.

The straw that broke the camels back came when we received an alert from our homeschooling association that the legislature was discussing another attempt to force us homeschoolers to teach to the states tests. So we rounded up the tykes for a civics lesson and trekked over to Montpelier to voice our objections.

The education committee had decided to have its meeting in a room that wouldn't hold more than a dozen people and were shocked when more than a hundred homeschools showed up. After some loud complaining, they reluctantly moved their meeting to a larger room. They then proceeded to have their discussion sitting with their backs to us! Our 'betters' in the government declined to take questions, but my wife, being the persistent type wanted to make her case for why she was against these new standards. So we waited around until she could meet with one of the representatives. When she finally got the attention on one of the reps (who's name I don't recall now, but I remember he was Progressive from Burlington), she was calmly making her case when this people's representative, who clearly had an attitude, cut her off and condescendingly asked her where she had gotten her education degree from! Before she could answer him, he said that, "He would never vote for anything that made homeschooling easier!" Then he said he had to go, turned and walked off. My wife is a doctor and is probably vastly better educated than that buffoon and yet that Progressive lover of tolerance and diversity felt it was okay to treat her with such disrespect.
On the trip home, while my wife decompressed, we began to question why it was we were paying five thousand dollars a year in property taxes to support a system that held us in such obvious contempt. A year later we had sold our house, packed up the family and my business and moved to Virginia.
People can and do vote with their feet and from the last census we see how that's working out for Vermont.
And incidentally my daughter just finished in the top three percent of the SATs and is off to Hillsdale College this fall.
Viva la revolution!
Awesome, AAAttica. And good job on teaching your children civics by actively participating in the political process. Anyone who's spent 5 minutes studying this issue knows that homeschooled children do very well academically and socially and excel in college (the classroom setting.) The rest is just the knee-jerk reaction of statists who can't stand and feel threatened when someone does things differently than they do. They have no real concern for the children of homeschooled children. (Just like they have no real concern for the poor, as welfare was just denigrated in this thread. It's all talk.) We feel the same about putting our money/taxes in a place that does not support our family and parental rights (the nay-sayers here admit that our children, ultimately, belong to the state and for the benefit thereof.)

Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds

Old 08-13-2014, 03:51 PM

57 posts, read 101,408 times
Quote:
First, I only mentioned that as a possibility, since I know the OP to be very much pro-life.

Otherwise, I agree with your post but not 100%. Creationism is a belief based on a spiritual belief. It's based on faith and not at all based on science. And I do agree that there should be classes in public schools about world religions past and current, just to get some perspective on religion and religious conflicts. And does the bible really need to be taken so literally? It's a good guidebook for christians, but there's so much more to the history of mankind that can fit into that book, which was written by his original disciples. And the bible is written by men and rewritten over the centuries. Even today, archaeologists are still making discoveries about ancient civilizations, not to mention new discoveries by paleontologists (btw do you believe in dinosaurs?).

Good Lord, she's stalking me from the NH board (based on one short political discussion.) Not only that, she's putting forth presumptions about my personal life that she could not possibly know. Really? Is she timberline? Disturbing, to say the least.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeMomNH View Post
Good Lord, she's stalking me from the NH board (based on one short political discussion.) Not only that, she's putting forth presumptions about my personal life that she could not possibly know. Really? Is she timberline? Disturbing, to say the least.
Gee whiz... and your paranoia is showing through. Why wouldn't I browse the VT forum? MA and NH border VT. My friends attend hillclimb races in VT. My stepfather's family is related to the Webbs of Shelburne Museum and Shelburne Farm.

Then add to that your extremely dramatic thread title with the first word in all caps. You DO realize that in the internet world, using all caps is akin to shouting?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM

48 posts, read 58,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
i'll never understand why some people, when they can't get exactly what they want--when and how they want it--claim their rights (personal freedoms!) are being unfairly restricted, and, because of this, everyone else should rise up in righteous indignation and come to their side.

And yes, i'm referring to you yankeemom. I hope you find the libertarian sanctuary you seek.

a-men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont