Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 03:13 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,683,992 times

Advertisements

We are planning a jaunt to VT over Thanksgiving break. I am a Texan who is clueless of the best "vacation" area in the state this time of year. Will the foliage be gone by this time? Is it skiing season during Thanksgiving? What town should we make our home base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 04:15 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,378,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Will the foliage be gone by this time?
Yes, the foliage will be gone by then-leaves will be long off the trees (that was in October).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Is it skiing season during Thanksgiving?
No, it's too early for snow of much accumulation (that will be in December).

Fall is the time for "harvest-themed" festivals:
Nearby Keene NH pumpkin festival, beer festivals, & there are always arts/crafts events of some sort going on.

Did search on a tourism website for events during week of Nov. 25-30, 2014:
http://vermonttravelplanner.org/Trav...h.aspx?catId=4

Most of the population are in northwest corner of state (Burlington area) so there's more going on there.
However, for a more "authentic" rustic small-town experience, seek out other corners of the state.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,973,581 times
What are your interests? Thanksgiving is kind of in between seasons here and can be rather dreary.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,872,181 times
that was my thought....... there isn't a lot going on. Lots of places here are closed from like November to December. It is kind of depressing for me. If you like to hike you can always hike but it might be gray cold and/or rainy. I would definitely look for any sort of festival type things cloven recommended.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,777 times
Stowe Resort usually opens by Thanksgiving and I'm sure some of the others in the north half of the state do as well, so you might be able to ski, but as everyone else said, not much else really going on around that time.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,830,690 times
Most of the major ski resorts in Vermont traditionally are hoping to be open the weekend before Thanksgiving. Alot of the major tourist attractions like Ben&Jerry's original factory, Cold Hollow, Vermont Teddy Bear, Cabot Cheese are open and devoid of crowds. Some of the finest beers in the world are produced in Vermont will be flowing.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 AM

371 posts, read 537,944 times
The Woodstock Inn in Woodstock, VT puts on a very nice Thanksgiving buffet. It's quite festive and the food is excellent. The fire is always roaring in the great room, and you can walk around town and can drive to several local attractions that will be open (Quechee Gorge, Billings Farm, VINS). It's the Upper Valley region, so you can always hop over to Hanover and see what's going on at Dartmouth. It's always possible there could be a good storm before the holiday, enough to open the ski areas. Killington isn't far from Woodstock, and Suicide Six as well. Okemo isn't too far either.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,670,726 times
I agree with the Woodstock Inn suggestion. My wife and I were there for Christmas last year and it was quite nice, and I assume that Thanksgiving will be the same. The Billings Farm and Museum is a good visit, especially if you're interested in history.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:37 PM

50 posts, read 101,086 times
I'm heading up there to a rental house in Wilmington with my extended family for Thanksgiving. Have spent many a ski season there but wondering what the avail will be for grocery shopping around there the day before Turkey Day. Should we bring our turkey up with us? Will most of the markets be open? I've been to Shaw's in Wilmington a few times. Wondering if we'd have any trouble shopping that day.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:35 PM

105 posts, read 358,150 times
If you ski, Jay Peak will be kicking of 7 day operations on 11/28/14 http://www.jaypeakresort.com/7 Click on snow report link at top of page

For tpwpny
Shaw's - Wilmington, VT (97 Main St.)
Hours
Sun-Sat 7am-9pm
Thanksgiving: 7am-3pm

But really, I recommend calling the Brattleboro Food Co-op now, order an organic turkey & pick it up on your way through to Wilmington. Brookside Plaza, 2 Main St, Brattleboro, VT 05301 (802) 257-0236 or
Adams Farm in Wilmington Fresh Vermont Turkey for Thanksgiving! - Adams Farm VT

At either of these places, you can get your veggies to go with the Turkey Day meal.

Probably no problem with stores being open on Wednesday, it's just dealing with everyone else in the store doing their shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont