Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 AM

168 posts, read 286,074 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about setting up a beehive (in the spring!), mostly to aid pollenation of garden crops, but potentially also for some honey. (A friend in Mass. has 2 hives on a suburban plot and gets 30+ pounds of honey a year!)

Does anyone here keep beehives? Thoughts? Without intending to sound lazy (but more like, "I've already got more than enough to do!"), I'm wondering how labor-intensive it is to keep bees. If my main goal is to aid pollenation, and honey is a very secondary goal, can I just set up a hive and let the bees have at it, without needing to check on them from time to time, or do any kind of ongoing maintenance? Or is that just likely a waste of money, because the bees might die out if I don't do such-and-such every week / fortnight / month?

Thanks! (Or should I say, Happy Thanksgiving!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,375,611 times
I don't know much about beekeeping but am interested in it generally and have looked into it a bit. If honey production is only a secondary goal, then you might look into Mason Bees, rather than honeybees. Check out this site:
Home

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,261 times
We are starting beekeeping this spring. I spent most of this year attending local beekeeping club meetings and also have gone to a few workshops and classes. It is absolutely fascinating to learn about these amazing creatures.

I too was concerned about the amount of work involved. Based on what I've been told/etc, it really doesn't matter all that much if you don't want too much honey. Obviously, the number of hives you have is a huge factor - we are starting with two, so we can compare and take notes how each hive goes throughout the year.

You'll need to check on them on average every week; you will need to check for disease, mites, make sure you haven't had a swarm, the queen is producing well and also to make sure they have enough food. Weather plays a huge role in how things progress. This was a banner year for beekeepers - the weather was fantastic. But they also had huge losses from this past winter. I was told that every VT beekeeper loses, on average, 30% of their hives overwinter. You definitely do not start beekeeping to make money lol.

I would highly recommend joining the Vermont Beekeepers Association (it's $15/year) and attending some local workshops or meetings and also getting a mentor (or if you are patient, it's best to take a season and learn before you jump in). The VBA's website has lots of resources, and there is tons to read on the internet. And if you haven't already, I would place your bee order now. Most folks who sell packages or nukes sell out early.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 PM

168 posts, read 286,074 times
Default Vermont Beekeepers

Thanks tkln!

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to the beekeepers' website:
Vermont Beekeepers Association - Home

Old 11-25-2014, 02:37 PM

Sorry, I probably should've linked to that lol.
Beesource is another good site.
Beesource.com - Beekeeping resources for beekeepers since 1997!

Feel free to PM if you need any more info. Though at this point, I only have non-hands on experience lol.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,090,876 times
Ask This Old House just did a two part segment on starting, maintaining, and harvesting your own beehive. I'll bet you can find the video on the interweb and in 15 minutes you get a good primer on how to raise bees. It doesn't "look" particularly intensive in terms of time, labor and cost.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Between equipment, bees, hives...I'm looking at close to 1K for 2 hives lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont