Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Currently live in Ozarks seeking to move to Vermont, wanting information on cost of living, love mountains and ocean, simple life, farmer’s markets, walking paths, beach less than 3 hours

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreen.laurel View Post
Thank you all for your information. Yes, I live in Eureka Springs. Yes, it does get hot in the summer! Someone asked if it was Bohemian. There are all types of people here on the spectrum of right to left, conservative to the most liberal. We all agree to get along because we have a beautiful and unique place to live in the world... That's the kind of place I like.
I like that kind of place, too! Your description is just how I imagined ES to be. Even though our living plans include Vermont for the long haul, maybe we'll visit Eureka Springs sometime (dead of winter, most likely, or whatever passes for winter in NW AR :-)) to enjoy visiting its beauty and fun.

Quote:
Brattleboro seems like an interesting place. The Appalachian trail is nearby and the ocean only 2 hours away. And contra dancing is all around, with the Dawn Dancing there, and the regular dances in Western MA. It has Amtrak, and the airport is Hartford. I like all this.
All true. If I were outside of Vermont looking in, I would certainly consider Brattleboro. The Dawn Dance is very cool.

Quote:
They kind of try to scare you on the Chamber of Commerce page with that statement about the Nuke plant, about how in case of disaster Brattleboro will be unlivable for thousands of years. That's telling it like it is.
Here's what my husband and I concluded about that. If we were already living in the Brattleboro/surrounding areas and felt happy living there, we probably wouldn't leave just because of the nuke. But since we're not living in that area, if we were to move to a different part of Vermont, it wouldn't be the Brattleboro area at least partly because of the nuke. I mean, we're already in VT, so why move closer to something we don't feel good about or safe near? No one knows what will happen, but what could happen with that nuke certainly is sobering.

I'm sure others have views about this. Maybe some will weigh in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 AM

72 posts, read 213,964 times
i live 8.5 miles from one of the oldest nuke plants in the country. every year they hand out iodine pills(or something like that?) in case of radiation leaks. the shell fish are not to be harvested because they keep harming them with spills of radiated coolant water. their license is up for renewal and there is a big push to not let that happen but then everyones utility bill will go higher not to mention that townships property taxes(they are supplemented by the plant.)the kicker is the plant hardly makes enough power(because of it's age)to make a difference. a couple of wind towers would make the same power with NO pollution. the biggest problem with the plant is they are storing YEARS of waste with no plans to get rid of it even if they close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont