Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 AM

72 posts, read 213,792 times

Advertisements

does anyone have any info as to tpye of classses or activities they offer? good or bad info on classes ,teachers, tpye of students, ect...?ANY info would be great.

p.s. hope someone reads this, seems like everyone took the day off today?

hey sheryl, i just noticed the smiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
Sorry..can't help...but can tell you they have an interesting mascot....the Slaters! We used to play them in high school.....

Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM

i tried to find a pic but had no luck. now i need to see what a "slater mascot" looks like. i also went to home page for the school and all the info i was looking for is in pdf format and the work computer won't download it. oh well

Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
I'm not sure what a slater looks like LOL. The name is in honor of Fair Haven's slate industry.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 PM

the house we own on bomoseen is across from one of the old slate querrys(sp?). i know a lot of locals think it is an eye sore but i think it is nice. it is the only shore line without a house on it.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:12 PM

79 posts, read 314,325 times
I'm not sure how FHUHS is now, but I will say that when my sisters and I were supposed to go there 20+ years ago, my father (a graduate himself of FHUHS) refused and sent us to the private, Catholic high school in Rutland instead. They've never had the best reputation.

One other thing.... I went to Castleton public schools for K-8 and when I was in 8th grade, FHUHS asked Castleton to scale back their curriculum because Castleton kids were coming in too far advanced (ahead of other towns in the union), rather than trying to better their school to accomodate and challenge the kids. I'm hoping they've changed for the better.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luvvt View Post
does anyone have any info as to tpye of classses or activities they offer? good or bad info on classes ,teachers, tpye of students, ect...?ANY info would be great.

p.s. hope someone reads this, seems like everyone took the day off today?

hey sheryl, i just noticed the smiles.
Sorry - Not taking the day off, just catching up at work after a quick visit to help my parents pack to move back to VT...

Here's a link with some of the information I think you're looking for

Vermont Department of Education School Report
This should link you directly to the Fair Haven information - but if not, it's easy to navigate to...

Hope that helps,

David Beckett

Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Sorry - Not taking the day off, just catching up at work after a quick visit to help my parents pack to move back to VT...

Here's a link with some of the information I think you're looking for

Vermont Department of Education School Report
This should link you directly to the Fair Haven information - but if not, it's easy to navigate to...

Hope that helps,

David Beckett
thank you, this is what i am looking for.

knotte, thank you for you info. i also hope they have improved, it is good to know there is an alternitive. i just don't want my kids to be discouraged since they love to go and learn. they all do very well in school and i don't want that to change.
thanks everyone, please keep any info coming.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,540 times
I graduated from FHUHS 9 years ago. When I was there, it didn't have the best reputation, but I tried to make the most of it and went on to college. Since then it seems to have gone downhill and has a notorious drug problem. I know this from what current teachers and recent graduates have told me. I know drugs are a problem in all high schools, but Fair Haven seems to have gained a bad reputation, and I often hear it called the worst high school in Rutland County. As far as the quality of education, there were good teachers (most of them are still there), and there were bad teachers (in the science dept. in my experience). I think around 60% of my highschool class went on to college back in 1999 (although, many dropped out after the 1st year). MSJ is an alternative, and I know of parents who have somehow sent their kids to Rutland.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casphoto View Post
I graduated from FHUHS 9 years ago. When I was there, it didn't have the best reputation, but I tried to make the most of it and went on to college.MSJ is an alternative, and I know of parents who have somehow sent their kids to Rutland.
thank you very much. i was hoping for this kind of information. school reports don't include this. not real sure what msj is but i'll google it .the biggest deciding factor for my family and me to where we move is the high school education. the reason i ask about fhuhs is because we already own a house that uses that high school.i would be willing to send my kids to private school if need be, but that will have to be considered.

just curious if anyone has a thoery as to how a school distric could be so different from lower education to a higher one? in my town in nj, we have a board of ed. for k-6. the k-6 are some of the best in the county. the 7-8 and high school are a separate school board. the same kids go on to these schools. the schools have other towns sending their kids also, but i can't believe that," that" would have so much of an inpact. the 7-8, and high school in my area are one of the worst in the state. any idea's? i know, if we had that info we would all be on the board. any thoughs? it has me baffled. seems the same in vt. castleton k-8 seems good, but fhuhs is given bad reports. just as a comparison in size different between nj and vt. my son is in 5th grade and the class as a whole is 625 kids. this is more kids then the whole k-6 in castleton.i don't think that size really matters much IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont