Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 PM

10 posts, read 15,494 times

Advertisements

We are going to make a trip up to VT and NH in a couple of months to check out some areas for possible relocation. I've been to both states, mostly in the southern parts, but that was 17 or 18 years ago. We're also looking at the Pacific Northwest, as well.

Here is what we're looking for:

We want to live downtown (or very near) in a small town or city (2-10k population) with ability to walk to restaurants, etc. We're open to something a little larger if it's the right fit.
Ability to access nature from our house (hiking, mountain biking, cross country, snowshoeing, etc.) without needing to drive.
Good school (private is okay...our child currently is going to a Waldorf school)
Ideally the place would have an active community, farmer's markets, etc.
We lean more to the liberal side, if that matters. We don't really engage in politics, though.
It would be nice to be within an hour's drive of a bigger town/city such as Burlington, but not absolutely necessary.
We telecommute so availability of a lot of jobs isn't necessary.

So far, we like the looks of the Mad River Valley area, but we're curious what those of you who live in the area think would work given the above.

Thanks for any insight or information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 AM

371 posts, read 537,346 times
I vote for the Upper Valley region, specifically the New Hampshire side of the Connecticut river, though I have lived in both NH and VT. I moved there in 1994, due partly from a job offer at DHMC but also because Lebanon was the number one small town in America on some very detailed list in a little book I happened to find. Fast forward 21 years and once again Lebanon makes the list:

Top 100 Best Small Towns

My son had an excellent education. We settled in Plainfield, NH and he went to a wonderful K-8 school in Plainfield and then on to Lebanon High. I am very happy I made the choice to move there and sorry that I had to leave.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:51 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
This sure sounds like Montpelier to me. We have everything: good schools, a lot going on downtown and in walking distance, nature (a great near-wilderness park right in the middle of town, farmers' market. I know we didn't sit down and write out a list, as you have, but pretty much everything on your list would have been on ours.

I've lived here since 1983 and I think it's a great place to live.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
I was going to suggest Montpelier too. Has everything you are looking for.
Middlebury could be another option. While in the Champlain Valley and not in the mountains, it does have great outdoor opportunities right in town via the Trail Around Middlebury (TAM) and its a quick drive to the mountains (15 minutes), Lake Champlain, Lake Dunmore etc.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:53 PM

Thanks so much for your replies, soup nazi, jack and vter. I really appreciate your insight. I'm looking into all of these places now. There's so much to consider, so it's great to have some insight to help us narrow this down.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Stowe would be an almost perfect fit because of the ability to walk places and live in town. It will co$t $$$ though. I'm thinking specifically of the little neighborhood just south of the old depot building as made to order. Stowe is going to be more liberal than others I can think of. Other runners are:
Waitsfield
Jeffersonville
Montpelier - maybe
Waterbury - (Union Street or Wissel Mtn.)
Hardwick - maybe (lots of community ag in the area)

Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM

Thanks, harry! Can't wait until August when we can get up there to check out these places.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
we live in the MRV with kids.

i like the schools but a little anxious about after 6th grade when they go 15+ minutes away to harwood union. It's just a bit of a haul, with lots of other towns attending. There is a Waldorf school in montpelier.

the only private school i know of in the mad river valley is green mountain valley school which is largely focused on snow sports. very expensive (40k).

accessibility to nature is a no brainer, it's everywhere!

we are 1 hour to burlington and 40 to montpelier.

the right wing town (Fayston) is "only" 65% democratic voting.

There is not a ton of housing within walking distance to downtown (which is sort of spread out... i'm thinking of waitsfield) but we have some nice shops, restaurants, etc. we have a nice green with a good farmers market weekly in the spring-fall.

i think the most private feeling public school in the mad river valley is fayston. it's very small and kids enjoy a very low student:teacher ratio (Fayston elementary was ranked #1 in the state last time i checked.. waitsfield and warren are close behind).

Last edited by joe moving; 06-04-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 06:00 PM

48 posts, read 58,777 times
The Mad River Valley is beautiful, but it's not really walkable, except for "in town" Waitsfield, and that's really only a grocery store and a few restaurants. If you have high school age kids, I would not recommend Harwood at all, as it's not a great school. If you can find a good private school around there, go for it. The Valley offers great recreation and the people are nice. If you like skiing and hiking, you'll be right in the center of everything. It's VERY sleepy in the Summertime.

Jeffersonville comes with a horrible commute along Route 15, one of the worst in Vermont. Also not a walkable town in any sense of the word.

Montpelier - good schools, walkable, within an hours drive of Burlington. Be careful of buying any property close the river, as it's flooding more and more lately.

Waterbury - Once again, walkable, but only to a grocery store and a few restaurants. Everything closes by 10. Same thing about buying property near the river.

Hardwick - Once again, another horrible commute down Route 15 to get to anything.

There are pros and cons to living on the New Hampshire side of things: Pros are taxes. Cons are that the Upper Valley is far away from any sort of city of any sort (3 hours to Boston, 2 to Burlington, really too far for a day trip.)

Old 06-04-2015, 07:46 PM

Thanks joe, workitout and Harry. That is all great information to have. Harry, I hadn't looked into Brattleboro so I'll do some research on it. I'm interested to see what others say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont