Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times

Advertisements

I attended *cough* another private college in Vermont *cough*, but I think that there's something that's a common theme with schools that are located in more rural areas, where the weather gets rough in the winter...

Drinking.

It just seems to be there, no matter the other activities sponsored by the school. If you need to drive to "get anywhere" (I'm chuckling, because our "anywhere" was Burlington, about 50 minutes away), you do tend to stay close to campus, and on a Friday or Saturday night, there's a lot of alcohol available.

Especially in the cold months, "staying close to home" becomes a priority. After all, who wants to walk across campus to a concert when the wind chill is -40?

This isn't to say that everyone drank, or that the people who did drank to excess, at all. It's just to say that this was a VERY viable alternative where I went to school, and I can imagine that it would be at a school that is similar in size and geographic location.

With that being said though, in the time that I was in college, I never heard anything but good things about St. Mikes.

Best of luck to your son, and to you as well, with this great milestone in his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I attended *cough* another private college in Vermont *cough*, but I think that there's something that's a common theme with schools that are located in more rural areas, where the weather gets rough in the winter...

Drinking.

It just seems to be there, no matter the other activities sponsored by the school. If you need to drive to "get anywhere" (I'm chuckling, because our "anywhere" was Burlington, about 50 minutes away), you do tend to stay close to campus, and on a Friday or Saturday night, there's a lot of alcohol available.

Especially in the cold months, "staying close to home" becomes a priority. After all, who wants to walk across campus to a concert when the wind chill is -40?

This isn't to say that everyone drank, or that the people who did drank to excess, at all. It's just to say that this was a VERY viable alternative where I went to school, and I can imagine that it would be at a school that is similar in size and geographic location.

With that being said though, in the time that I was in college, I never heard anything but good things about St. Mikes.

Best of luck to your son, and to you as well, with this great milestone in his life.

Thank you mishigas73 for the well wishes and very important point.

Part of my college career was spent at SUNY Albany when the drinking age in NYS was 18. Reading your post I started thinking back and yes, there was lots of ETOH to be had when the weather turned cold, the snow accumulated and staying in the dorms was the best option. One of my friends was expelled when in a drunken haze, he flung a glass beer pitcher out the window of his dorm room in the tower at Dutch quad. (I believe they were on the 14 or 15th floor.)

The reality of drinking and it's related perils run through my mind as my son and I talk colleges. I haven't addressed it yet as we are right now approaching the learners permit phase. More agita! I think I need a drink! And the phone number for a good haircolorist

Old 02-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
I am so glad I was not drinking anything when I read that. I would need to buy a new laptop! LOL!
PHEW! That would have been one big mess!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
More agita! I think I need a drink! And the phone number for a good haircolorist
Best of luck to you (hopefully you'll still have tuition money after seeing your colorist ).

From my not having a child, yet having gone to one of these schools perspective, I'll say (FWIW) that the VAST majority of people who go to these types of schools come out much the better for it. It's a question, most times, of having a good grounding, and knowing what your boundaries are.

I look back at my years in Vermont very fondly, and am SO grateful that my parents accepted that I truly wanted to go to THAT school, as opposed to any others. They also instilled in me a conscience and values which stopped me from doing a whole heck of a lot of stupid things.

Again, best of luck to you both in dealing with this.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:28 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
It's not regional (unless Michigan is regional...well, it's on Eastern time if that counts), but Hillsdale College IMO looks like it has a lot to offer.

Hillsdale College - Home

Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
It's not regional (unless Michigan is regional...well, it's on Eastern time if that counts), but Hillsdale College IMO looks like it has a lot to offer.

Hillsdale College - Home
Thank you DW.

I've bookmarked the site to return to and thoroughly review. I've bounced distance off of my son and he hasn't really given me a real feel for how far is too far.

I see that Hillsdale offers environmental sciences, which is one field he was considering along with marine biology. At this point he's not 100% focused, so sometimes I wonder if it would be best that he attend a local state university and then transfer to a private school a year or two later -- once he's knows what he really wants to pursue. The $$$ would be tremendous that way.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
I see that Hillsdale offers environmental sciences, which is one field he was considering along with marine biology. At this point he's not 100% focused, so sometimes I wonder if it would be best that he attend a local state university and then transfer to a private school a year or two later -- once he's knows what he really wants to pursue. The $$$ would be tremendous that way.
If you are still considering private schools, I thought I'd mention that Green Mountain College in Poultney (just west of Fair Haven) has quite a few undergraduate programs (broken link), including Environmental Studies (broken link) and Environmental Management (broken link).

All undergrads there take at least 37 credits in coursework and applied activities to help them understand the natural world, food systems, and the coexistence of society and nature. I have a friend who teaches there.

Two GMC students volunteered on a campaign one of the nonprofits I work with is doing. The students were excellent volunteers. They were smart, funny, interesting, and great to have around. They did the same tasks as the adults of all ages, and we didn't hesitate to have them interacting with the public, which they'll be doing for us again soon.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
If you are still considering private schools, I thought I'd mention that Green Mountain College in Poultney (just west of Fair Haven) has quite a few undergraduate programs (broken link), including Environmental Studies (broken link) and Environmental Management (broken link).

All undergrads there take at least 37 credits in coursework and applied activities to help them understand the natural world, food systems, and the coexistence of society and nature. I have a friend who teaches there.

Two GMC students volunteered on a campaign one of the nonprofits I work with is doing. The students were excellent volunteers. They were smart, funny, interesting, and great to have around. They did the same tasks as the adults of all ages, and we didn't hesitate to have them interacting with the public, which they'll be doing for us again soon.
Thank you

This sounds like a wonderful school as do the others.

In general:

It's been a while since I attended college (state school) and I am getting 'sticker shock' at tuition & housing costs LOL My son is a solid student hovering between A & A-, plays a brass instrument (I tell him if they offer any sort of marching band scholarships -- you're marching! LOL) and is into karate. He is a 1st degree brown belt, next stop: black belt test. He has taking the PSATs, and we saw that his weakness is the written portion, so that is being addressed in prep for the SATs.

I see a few of the schools offer some form of tuition aid, full or partial scholarships for students of a certain academic standing. Obviously, this is something I hope my son attains

A friend of mine is with the local university here, and his advice is to have students attend the local state school (if they can get accepted) and study for two years and then apply to the private school of their choice so that they can 1) graduate with the school of their choice on their diploma & 2) Save a substantial amount of money on tuition in the first two years.

SUNY is currently $4350/year for a NYer; that would mean saving over $25K per year on private schools. I don't discuss that aspect of it with my son, because I believe we all should dream, and if the possibility of scholarship or tuition assistance is real, why squelch a dream prematurely?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:34 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Thank you DW.

I've bookmarked the site to return to and thoroughly review. I've bounced distance off of my son and he hasn't really given me a real feel for how far is too far.

You're welcome BHave.
I think starting out at a JC is a great idear. My school demanded a major upon entry. I changed majors several times.
The journalism dept. had one perfessor. Nice chap I suppose but not the sharpest knife in the rack. The English dept was headed by a weird elitist couple. The psych dept was headed by a stats freak and I wasn't willing to do stats up the wazoo when the whats and whys of human behavior were what interested me. So I ended up majoring in sociology, the classic major-for-dummies/athletes. It was actually pretty interesting. That's where I had my first death and dying class, which eventually led to hospice work which is great.
My sister talked my parents into an expensive and oh-so-"hip" school 2,000 miles away. This was in the 60s. Big mistake, I'd have had her off the the local JC for a year or two and then to UM or MI State or similar within a few hours' drive.
I think a JC or state U would not only save money but give some environmental variety. If we weren't in a forever war right now I'd advocate taking a look at military service. Not sure I'd join myself right now even though I've done my 20. Current and last C-in-Cs are among the least inspiring or competent people I've seen since Jimmuh.
Can your son take an advanced placement class in HS? That could at least give him some flavor of college.
Good luck, an adventure awaits...

Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine is with the local university here, and his advice is to have students attend the local state school (if they can get accepted) and study for two years and then apply to the private school of their choice so that they can 1) graduate with the school of their choice on their diploma & 2) Save a substantial amount of money on tuition in the first two years.
While I do understand the benefits of that (and I definitely believe that going to a state school is a better idea than looking at JCs), I also firmly believe that not all of college is about "saving money". YES, I do understand where thinking about this is a necessity, but, as a person who was a perpetual student for quite a long time, I'll say, from my standpoint, that there's a lot to be said about "being where you want to be" and not using it as a stepping-stone for transferring.

*If* you all should decide to go that route, please make sure that the option to transfer to *whatever school* is a viable possibility. Often times, it's WAY harder to transfer into a school than to get in there initially. Many of the smaller schools that I know about don't do much of the "transfer" thing. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm having difficulty thinking of one person in my graduating class who was a transfer. I'm sure there must have been a handful, but my point is, just make sure that there is a pool of schools which do offer what he's interested in, and see that that same pool of schools *do* offer a real transfer program.

Once again, I do understand the financial issues, but I hope that I've given you some other things to think about as well. Good luck to you and your colorist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont