Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 03:47 PM

13 posts, read 54,762 times

Advertisements

Are there any agriculture rules or tax breaks requriing a certain amount of land to be considered farming or get breaks, or to be allowed to raise anything? Just curious if there's a specific size i.e 20 acres or 4 acres etc where some break or laws come into play
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalThinking View Post
Are there any agriculture rules or tax breaks requriing a certain amount of land to be considered farming or get breaks, or to be allowed to raise anything? Just curious if there's a specific size i.e 20 acres or 4 acres etc where some break or laws come into play
There is what is termed "current use" policy which covers taxation of land parcels in excess of 25 acres being used for agriculture/logging. I don't know the details, but perhaps the state taxation website would spell out more details.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
There is what is termed "current use" policy which covers taxation of land parcels in excess of 25 acres being used for agriculture/logging. I don't know the details, but perhaps the state taxation website would spell out more details.
When I was looking for land, what I vaguely remember was that two acres of a parcel could be maintained for a home (and thus taxed at that rate) while the rest stayed in the current use program at a lower rate. One parcel I looked at was all in current use; part of the land was being farmed by a local farmer. If I wanted to take two acres out to build a home, I would have to pay taxes on those two acres going back to when the land first went into current use.

I don't know it that helped or confused, but that's all I can recall.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,490 times
The two acre reference applies to your homestead, so if you qualify for a prebate only that two acres applies. As far as current use applies it was always my understanding that it involved some specific size, time, and actual use rules. Hence, I assume if you bought over 25 acres and merely claimed you were raising food or animals you would have to meet some more defined requirements. From my very basic understanding and assumptions this really applies as a benefit to folks who actually farm sizable land because without any break they would never be able to stay in business.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
The two acre reference applies to your homestead, so if you qualify for a prebate only that two acres applies. As far as current use applies it was always my understanding that it involved some specific size, time, and actual use rules. Hence, I assume if you bought over 25 acres and merely claimed you were raising food or animals you would have to meet some more defined requirements. From my very basic understanding and assumptions this really applies as a benefit to folks who actually farm sizable land because without any break they would never be able to stay in business.
In my case, I wasn't looking for land in the program as I wouldn't be using it in a manner which would have qualified it. I ended up with a modest home on 13 acres -- no current use for me.

Vermont's Current Use Program (broken link)

Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times
^^^ Thanks, Current Use is what I think we'd want to do if there's flexibility.
Whether ME, NH, or VT I think it's the way to go for folks in certain circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont