Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 17,526 times

Advertisements

What's the best mountain in the Northeast to arrange a late season family ski vacation?

We're looking at March 21.

On that late date the local Maryland and Pennsylvania mountains may very well be bare.

Are there any New York resorts that will most likey have snow that late in the season?

Vermont? New Hampshire?

I hate taking such a large risk without any info. Our extended family will be arriving from Bethesda, Washington, and Baltimore, and I'd hate to ruin their vacation with 70 degree weather and no snow.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM

79 posts, read 314,541 times
Killington is a great resort and is usually open into May. Enjoy!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManySkills View Post
What's the best mountain in the Northeast to arrange a late season family ski vacation?

We're looking at March 21.

On that late date the local Maryland and Pennsylvania mountains may very well be bare.

Are there any New York resorts that will most likey have snow that late in the season?

Vermont? New Hampshire?

I hate taking such a large risk without any info. Our extended family will be arriving from Bethesda, Washington, and Baltimore, and I'd hate to ruin their vacation with 70 degree weather and no snow.

Thanks guys!
Closing Day at Okemo is April 20th

Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
I spent nearly 2 decades begging people not to come skiing over the holidays, and suggesting March instead. Now that I've quit teaching skiing professionally, I rarely bother until March. You're vastly more likely to have good snow and good weather in March than December - even though we did have the best early season skiing in living memory in VT this year. But that means better cover in March too, I'll wager.

I suggest and highly recommend Stowe, Sugarbush, and Jay Peak - I'm not a big fan of Killington, although they do make a lot of snow and make a point to run long seasons. Bring your sunscreen and some light clothing (sunglasses, windbreaker, light gloves, a ballcap or light hat ...there's nothing worse than being overdressed and overheated on a gorgeous Spring day. But bring your Winter gear too: until very recently, the 3 biggest snowstorms in the history of the State of Vermont have all been in the month of March.

Think Snow!

David Beckett

Old 02-01-2008, 06:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
As others have mentioned, March is usually a great time to come up and ski. All the resorts mentioned above will fit the bill. Just start shopping around!
Something else to keep in mind...if anyone is flying up...fly into Burlington. You've got Stowe, Sugarbush, Jay, Smuggs all nearby.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,950 times
I am going to suggest OKEMO..have you looked at their site?
Great mountain...family stuff...and there are several nice inns in Ludlow as well as motels such as Cavendish Pointe (less than 3 mi) to Mountain and you can also take the shuttle which picks you up at the door and takes you to the mountain

Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM

231 posts, read 869,757 times
Smugglers Notch....hands down. Okemo, Killington, is usually an "upper class" resort(s). Smuggs as it is affectionately called is very family friendly

Winter Vacations at Smugglers' Notch Vermont

Has been a top family ski resort for years.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:43 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,676 times
I think it depends on the age of your "family". Yes, if its real kids Okemo in the south and Smugglers Notch north.

If the family is college/adult, having the variety, both on trail and off, of Killington might be more worthwhile.

And you'll probably still have a 40 inch base in the second half of March at any of these places.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
I think it depends on the age of your "family". Yes, if its real kids Okemo in the south and Smugglers Notch north.

If the family is college/adult, having the variety, both on trail and off, of Killington might be more worthwhile.

And you'll probably still have a 40 inch base in the second half of March at any of these places.
I don't ski but have several friends who own condos and houses on Okemo. Their kids vary in age from 4 up to married. They all love it. Ludlow is a funky little town, lots of great breakfast places and restaurants -- I like DJ's for dinner. There are plenty of rentals to be had from the mountain on down into Cavendish and plenty are on the shuttle line.

I've heard that Killington is more adult-oriented, too.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I don't ski
I don't ski either. Of course, it's the first thing many people ask me about when they learn I live in Vermont.

Okemo and Killington are within an hour's drive of each other. There are inns, motels, and lodgings in a wide range of prices all over the area. Ludlow & Killington should have whatever anyone wants. Killington has a young & party reputation, but there are also tons of homes and condos with families of all ages. Restaurants and clubs for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont