Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:22 AM

168 posts, read 287,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdallas View Post
Disappointed that I am too early for the foliage. I didn't want to chance arriving too late and missing it. We planned to pack light coats and hiking gear. Any suggestions on attire?
At that time there should be a fair bit going on in the White Mountains, Franconia Notch, the Northeast Kingdom of VT, and the northern Green Mountains. If you have time, drive from Stowe west through Smuggler's Notch (or vice versa) - high enough and north enough that you'll see good foliage, and it's a very quirky and scenic road.

And of course if you're headed through the White Mountains, you should also consider a drive up Mt. Washington! It's a little cheezy or cliché, but it's also pretty cool (literally!), and if it's clear it will certainly give you some amazing vistas.

Attire - LOL. Could be 70 and sunny, could be 35 and snowing. [EDIT: in the same day]. Plus it can be 60 in Boston, and 40 in Montpelier. Or, sometimes, vice versa. Basically you'll need to wait and look at the long-range forecasts when you're about a week out from your trip, and then subtract 5 degrees from the forecast lows and add 5 degrees to the forecast highs to allow for the inevitable changes. Bottom line: Layers. There's a reason people wear a t-shirt + flannel shirt / overshirt + fleece pullover or vest... you can adjust your layers as your activity level and weather exposure changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 09:06 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,151,187 times
You never know when foliage will arrive, you need some luck. Last year, foliage was so late in the Burlington area that I thought we might not get one. When we did finally get it, the colors were actually quite beautiful, although some of the leaves had already fallen off. With this warm winter who knows?

Put me down as a big fan of Lenox to Great Barrington too.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:27 PM

13 posts, read 14,269 times
New Question Everyone: I changed my reservation from Pittsfield to Rutland and I also have one for White River Junction. Which one should I keep?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:45 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,837,647 times
My personal opinion is White River Junction. I've forgotten what the rest of your tour entailed but if it didn't cover that area, I would recommend it. Quechee Gorge, Hartford, pretty scenery. Unless it's changed in the past few years, Rutland didn't have much to offer. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My personal opinion is White River Junction. I've forgotten what the rest of your tour entailed but if it didn't cover that area, I would recommend it. Quechee Gorge, Hartford, pretty scenery. Unless it's changed in the past few years, Rutland didn't have much to offer. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your suggestion. I decided to ask because I believe I read about crime in Rutland as well that there were limited attractions but everything is beginning to blend so was not completely
sure :-).

Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,806,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I second this.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I second this.

Thank you. It's official will cancel Rutland.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:58 PM

5,863 posts, read 5,322,140 times
Another Vermonter with advice about going through Maine. lol. In Belfast along Route 1, please stop at Perry's Nut House. They have the BEST fudge-and you can sample ALL flavors if you want. (You can also buy off their website: Perry's Nut House of Belfast, Maine - Fudge, Nuts, Gifts & Toys

As for the WRJ vs Rutland, both have things to offer. WRJ, you are close to Quechee, but Quechee is very touristy. Lots of shops.

With Rutland, you are close to the lakes region-Lake Bomoseen, Lake St. Catherine, Glen Lake and other smaller lakes-not to mention if you go a little further you get Lake Champlain. Bomoseen & St. Catherine are the bigger of them (other than Champlain of course) but there are a lot of very beautiful spots that are a bit off the beaten path. You can get from Rutland to Lake Bomoseen in about 15-20 minutes.

On the other side of Rutland, you have Killington, Pico, and pretty much the spine of the Green Mountains. There is Kent Pond close to Killington.

Cat

Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 AM

2,442 posts, read 4,861,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Another Vermonter with advice about going through Maine. lol. In Belfast along Route 1, please stop at Perry's Nut House. They have the BEST fudge-and you can sample ALL flavors if you want. (You can also buy off their website: Perry's Nut House of Belfast, Maine - Fudge, Nuts, Gifts & Toys

As for the WRJ vs Rutland, both have things to offer. WRJ, you are close to Quechee, but Quechee is very touristy. Lots of shops.

With Rutland, you are close to the lakes region-Lake Bomoseen, Lake St. Catherine, Glen Lake and other smaller lakes-not to mention if you go a little further you get Lake Champlain. Bomoseen & St. Catherine are the bigger of them (other than Champlain of course) but there are a lot of very beautiful spots that are a bit off the beaten path. You can get from Rutland to Lake Bomoseen in about 15-20 minutes.

On the other side of Rutland, you have Killington, Pico, and pretty much the spine of the Green Mountains. There is Kent Pond close to Killington.

Cat
WRJ is close to Hanover, N.H., scenic college town with good bookstores, restaurants, art museum... You can take out a canoe on a scenic stretch of the Connecticut from the Dartmouth Outing Club in Hanover. 30 min downriver (by road) in the town of Cornish is the Saint-Gaudens national historic site, a beautiful memorial to the great late 19th-century sculptor with home, gardens, and exhibits. The covered bridge across the Connecticut at Cornish to Windsor, Vt, is the longest of the covered bridges.

If railroad buffs, by any chance, WRJ is an excellent spot for contemplating the rise and fall of the railroads in this country.

You can shadow the early career of Calvin Coolidge during this trip. Plymouth, Vt has his birthplace and boyhood home; Northampton, Mass is where he lived, worked and became mayor; and in Boston he served as Governor and earned lasting fame for firing striking policemen during the Boston Police strike of 1919.

Last edited by missionhill; 04-21-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 01:02 PM

5,863 posts, read 5,322,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
WRJ is close to Hanover, N.H., scenic college town with good bookstores, restaurants, art museum... You can take out a canoe on a scenic stretch of the Connecticut from the Dartmouth Outing Club in Hanover. 30 min downriver (by road) in the town of Cornish is the Saint-Gaudens national historic site, a beautiful memorial to the great late 19th-century sculptor with home, gardens, and exhibits. The covered bridge across the Connecticut at Cornish to Windsor, Vt, is the longest of the covered bridges.

If railroad buffs, by any chance, WRJ is an excellent spot for contemplating the rise and fall of the railroads in this country.

You can shadow the early career of Calvin Coolidge during this trip. Plymouth, Vt has his birthplace and boyhood home; Northampton, Mass is where he lived, worked and became mayor; and in Boston he served as Governor and earned lasting fame for firing striking policemen during the Boston Police strike of 1919.

I'm not saying that the WRJ doesn't have anything offer. I'm just saying that Rutland area DOES have things to offer. And I believe Plymouth is closer to Rutland than it is from WRJ.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont