Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2006, 02:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,797 times

Advertisements

Hi there -

I grew up in Providence, RI, but have lived in Cambridge, England for the past 10 years. My husband and children have always lived in England. We are thinking about moving back to the States, and as this is a fresh start - we get to pick anywhere! However, most of my family lives in new England, so we would like to live somewhere in New England so we are not to far away from them. Good schools are very important, as are liberal minded people. We are both "into" environmental issues as well, and would like to live around people that share our views. of course, a strong economy would be good, as we'll both need to find jobs. My husband works in advertising/graphic design, and I work in software sales. And we'd like to find a place that's not to expensive, and we both really like the outdoors. We've been used to city living, so wouldn't want anywhere that's to "out in the sticks". Quite a wish list, I know, but any first hand recommendations would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tracypat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 04:30 PM

121 posts, read 564,874 times
Since you are posting on the Vermont board I will suggest Burlington fits your criteria. Very cool place, good jobs, liberal, in a few minutes drive you are out in the wilderness, and I would even say kind of European feeling because of its proximity to Montreal.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:42 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,482,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Since you are posting on the Vermont board I will suggest Burlington fits your criteria. Very cool place, good jobs, liberal, in a few minutes drive you are out in the wilderness, and I would even say kind of European feeling because of its proximity to Montreal.
I must Agree Burlington is VERY LIBERAL. And after living there myself for 2 years, I would say it is what you want. I left due to Dean becoming the gov of VT. I just hate liberals. Keep your laws off my paycheck , and property. lol But if that's what you like Burlington is the place for you.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 AM

439 posts, read 726,507 times
Funny how the 'liberals' have taken over New Hampshire- they lost 2 house seats last month (the GOP) If one 'hates' liberals, even New Hampshire these days may not welcome you so much. As for the rest of 'Deep Blue' New England- conservatives seem to be an endangered species.

cheers.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:51 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,513,311 times
I would not want to live in a place where "liberal" is a dirty word.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,299,176 times
While Burlington does sound what you're looking for in terms of environment, I worry about the job opportunities. This isnt exactly a high-tech hotbed. You may also want to consider Portland, Maine, which is similar to the Burlington area. Not sure what the job market is like there though, but it's bigger and closer to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: