Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 09:13 AM

312 posts, read 355,097 times

Advertisements

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I'm a planner (maybe you should read "worrier" here ) and this would be a big move for us.

One of my sons has asthma. In various searches, I've come across references to asthma being a problem in VT (this actually never occurred to me) and, after googling, found out that VT has one of the highest rates in the country. What I'm not finding out, though, is why. Anybody have any insights into this? This article mentioned wood smoke as a possibility: https://learn.uvm.edu/blog-health/as...tes-in-vermont If you don't have a wood stove of your own, how big a problem (I know not everyone considers it a problem) is wood smoke in VT? And maybe...what are some things you can do to avoid it? (I know the answer to this might be "nothing" and that would a be valuable insight, too.)

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 11:32 PM

12 posts, read 23,677 times
I don't have the answers, but I would be very interested in this too. My only guess would be the cold being a problem for people with asthma, making the lungs 'lock up'. But, that wouldn't cause more cases in the state, just problems if you had it. In general, VT seems to be extremely low on pollution and I would think the prevailing winds would be from a clean direction as well. The only higher than average obvious thing I noticed was some areas have a high number of smokers (this was Burlington where I noticed this).

Would love to hear from any VT asthma sufferers here....

Old 11-21-2016, 05:17 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,261 times
I have a recollection of reading somewhere, some time ago, that prevailing winds are actually part of the problem - coming from the west where coal/etc factories are...

Old 11-21-2016, 09:18 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
Adirondack pine trees probably contribute.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
I don't know the answer, but the Health Department has a number of resources on its web page:

Living with Asthma - Vermont Asthma Program - Vermont Department of Health

Old 11-21-2016, 12:39 PM

Thank you, everybody!! How big of an issue in VT is wood smoke? If you don't have a wood stove of your own and live in a semi isolated area is it avoidable, or is it pretty pervasive? I don't think this would be a deal-breaker, but it's nice to know ahead of time what to expect.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
The outdoor boilers are more of an issue than stoves. The boilers tend to smoke more because they have short chimneys and burn poorly. When you look at a home, drive around the area a bit and see if you see any outdoor boilers around. I'd avoid them if you have that concern.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The outdoor boilers are more of an issue than stoves. The boilers tend to smoke more because they have short chimneys and burn poorly. When you look at a home, drive around the area a bit and see if you see any outdoor boilers around. I'd avoid them if you have that concern.
Thank you so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: