Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 05:50 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,707,916 times

Advertisements

It's obvious that Vermont has limited population diversity. I just came across this site that seems to be valuable to address that.

Home - I Am A Vermonter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 05:23 PM

83 posts, read 82,859 times
Vmont just needs people who are sturdy, clever and honest. In my town several positive roll models are non-white and it's a small town. One is my "twin" and I am a pasty-white Irish Norwegian but our features are comparable. Personally I like to see people rated on their skill, contribution and dedication.. I am looking forward to this topic being ancient history.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,779,620 times
You know the statistics. VT is 95% white. I believe blacks are 1%, Asians 1% and Hispanics 1.5% with various others and accounting for the rest. Outside of the Burlington area it might be hard to find much in the way of a minority community, but no matter where you live in VT folks will accept you or not based on you, not your color. Folks are pretty live and let live here. Your experience will be what you make of it.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 PM

6 posts, read 14,161 times
People in Vermont are pretty accepting of all people however may come across as uneducated and a little behind the times when it comes to diversity in my opinion. I am originally from Michigan and used to being a part of a "melting pot" of many people. When I moved here, I was shocked when I heard the word "colored" in reference to an African-American actor. It is not uncommon, at least from my own experiences, to hear comments like this. I honestly don't think they mean any harm, I just don't think they have really experienced a lot of diversity and other cultures. According to a native Vermonter, you are not truly a "Vermonter" unless your family has lived here for 7 generations! Vermont communities are very close knit, everyone knows everyone by family name, and most of them have lived here forever. I am seeing more and more new people moving to Vermont but not sure if they will stay for the long haul or not. It is very expensive, hard to find a good job (nepotism), and unless you really LOVE nature, there isn't a whole lot to do. However some really love Vermont so this is just my opinion.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:38 PM

809 posts, read 1,001,738 times
So, start loving nature, dammit! (insert smiley face however it's done).

I wish there were some easy way to get rid of the latent racism a lot of whites have, but what worked for me after many decades was finally finding myself on the same side of the political fence as most minorities. In a nearly all-white state like Vermont, that can be a LOT of work. "Colored"? I didn't know there were any 50's liberals still alive in Vermont.

As for "breaking into" a community, you can only do what you can to be an asset and see whether the community appreciates it. Don't be a spectator, be an actor. Volunteer! (Exclusive tip: volunteer to be the secretary, and every organization in town will beat a path to your door.) You can't go wrong offering to help at the local senior center. Find out what groups there are that cater to your interests, and don't pass up the Vermont Workers Center, which is just about the rainbowiest organization you'll find in the state-- although based in Burlington, they are all over the state. And also check out Rights and Democracy, which has the interests of all Vermonters at heart. You'll find you belong!

Old 06-26-2017, 01:13 AM

124 posts, read 109,489 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but less diversity = less white people?
Seems a bit odd in my mind..

Old 06-26-2017, 05:22 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,779,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenbeaner View Post
People in Vermont are pretty accepting of all people however may come across as uneducated and a little behind the times when it comes to diversity in my opinion. I am originally from Michigan and used to being a part of a "melting pot" of many people. When I moved here, I was shocked when I heard the word "colored" in reference to an African-American actor. It is not uncommon, at least from my own experiences, to hear comments like this. I honestly don't think they mean any harm, I just don't think they have really experienced a lot of diversity and other cultures. According to a native Vermonter, you are not truly a "Vermonter" unless your family has lived here for 7 generations! Vermont communities are very close knit, everyone knows everyone by family name, and most of them have lived here forever. I am seeing more and more new people moving to Vermont but not sure if they will stay for the long haul or not. It is very expensive, hard to find a good job (nepotism), and unless you really LOVE nature, there isn't a whole lot to do. However some really love Vermont so this is just my opinion.
Colored is an old term that some older people might still use. My father-in-law used that term and he was one who would never have purposely offended anyone. He was as gentle a soul as there is. I am glad that you don't take offense by it as surely none is intended.

What troubles me a bit is that it sounds like you think Vermonters are somehow lacking because there is little racial diversity here. We have a wonderful live and let live culture that welcomes anyone that wants to join in our communities. We are not somehow lesser because few racial minorities have done so.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,806,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Colored is an old term that some older people might still use. My father-in-law used that term and he was one who would never have purposely offended anyone. He was as gentle a soul as there is. I am glad that you don't take offense by it as surely none is intended.

What troubles me a bit is that it sounds like you think Vermonters are somehow lacking because there is little racial diversity here. We have a wonderful live and let live culture that welcomes anyone that wants to join in our communities. We are not somehow lesser because few racial minorities have done so.

Why the push for diversity as opposed to letting it develop organically? As new friends and neighbors arrive and learn about the community, contribute to its betterment with their talents, only then do we have diversity and harmony.

The web site in the OP seems to be a wonderful resource for attracting bright, energetic individuals to the state. Digging further into it, I find articles which seem bent on changing the status quo; to wit, one article mentions Brattleboro having "a whiteness problem". Excuse me? Would it be acceptable to suggest that a predominantly minority community have a "blackness problem" or "Hispanic-ness problem"?

There's nothing wrong with wanting an inclusive community. When inserting the word problem after a particular race, how can one expect any progress?

Old 07-06-2017, 06:02 PM

83 posts, read 82,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenbeaner View Post
I think you did a pretty good job summing it up. I had a neighbor who was called "black Kenny" and was very well liked and had you been born in another state at age three, at age 95 you are still an outsider. Funerals, weddings and births are big rituals.

Why would someone not love nature and all it's bounty? Can someone think about VT without including great food?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:08 AM

73 posts, read 101,995 times
Like biker53 said:
Your experience will be what you make of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont