Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 AM

312 posts, read 354,593 times

Advertisements

The kids and I will be visiting extended family in Albany, NY in February, and I'd like to plan a day trip to VT (I know, not the best month to visit, but, last year during our stay, Albany hit an all-time winter high of 75 degrees, so maybe we'll luck out). I'd like to show them "what I've been talking about" in terms of Vermont's charms (natural beauty, small town living, etc.). Where would you suggest we go? Their big priority is spending time with family, so I don't want to keep them away too long. We could drive up to three hours one way. We don't necessarily need to have one "major destination." Just a day of small stops interspersed along a scenic drive would be okay, too.

Ideas? Share 'em if ya got 'em.

And thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:46 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
If you drove over to Bennington via NY Rt. 7 & then Rt 279, you will give them what I have always viewed as a magical entrance as you enter VT and crest the hill. Before you is a majestic mountain view while looking down upon Bennington. It always says welcome home to me. That'd be about an hour drive from Albany. It is especially nice after what I have always considered a dreary ride on Rt.7, especially going through Troy. If it happens to be lunchtime, the Madison Brewing Company downtown is a spot I've gone to many times, and always been happy with the food and service.

Another half hour north on VT Rt 7 will bring you to Manchester. Exit 4 for Manchester Center is what brings you into the main downtown area & all the outlet stores. Even if not into that kind of shopping, it is a beautiful village, A spot I love going to is the Northshire Bookstore right in the center of the village. It is as nice an independent bookstore as you'll ever see.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:28 AM

809 posts, read 997,777 times
Take them on a short snowshoe or x-c ski hike in the woods!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:31 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,949 times
Vermont country store in Weston. Kids love the toys, penny candy and free samples!

Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 AM

Thank you, guys--great ideas as always!!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:15 AM

47 posts, read 62,109 times
It's about 40 min from Troy to Bennington on Route 7. Here's are a few ideas for a day trip. Go for a walk or snowshoe around the Mile Around Woods in North Bennington. Check out the Bennington Battle Monument, Old Bennington, and the Old First Church/cemetery. XC ski at Prospect Mountain or Wild Wings. Visit Merck Forest and Farm in Rupert. Lunch at Zoey's Double Hex, Blue Benn Diner, JJ Hapgood, Madison Brewing, Brown Cow Cafe, Equinox, Cilantro, Ponce Bistro. Tour the Hildene mansion. Battenkill Books in Manchester. Fiddlehead Art Gallery in Bennington. Bennington Potters. Outlets in Manchester. Diner on your way back home at Pangea Lounge in North Bennington, Alegro, Publyk House, Man of Kent or Browns Brewing in Hoosick NY, or any of the many great restaurants popping up in Troy.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 PM

Wow, not looking like I'm going to have to drive three hours after all! Thank you so much for all the great ideas! This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to rent snoeshoes anywhere? I love that idea!

Old 01-25-2018, 07:51 PM

130 posts, read 140,535 times
I agree 100% with Biker, those Green Mountains on the other side of Hoosick are magnificent.
From there you could travel towards Brattleboro. The cute town of Wilmington has cute shops and charm. If you take a left onto et 100, you're near My Snow and Stratton. If you keep going east on Rt 9 you'll hit top of Hogback Mountain. Beautiful vistas from the top. This route, from bennington, east traverses the National Forest.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:22 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinG60 View Post
I agree 100% with Biker, those Green Mountains on the other side of Hoosick are magnificent.
From there you could travel towards Brattleboro. The cute town of Wilmington has cute shops and charm. If you take a left onto et 100, you're near My Snow and Stratton. If you keep going east on Rt 9 you'll hit top of Hogback Mountain. Beautiful vistas from the top. This route, from bennington, east traverses the National Forest.
Yes, if heading north on Rt 7 to Manchester doesn't fit the bill, head east on Rt 9 to Wilmington. It's a fun spot to walk around and with restaurants and interesting shops.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Thank you, everyone! My whole family got the flu. and we've been laid up for a week! Nice to return to some great suggestions!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont