Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:29 AM

53 posts, read 123,859 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to one of these towns. I have two young boys, so the schools are our highest priority. Anyone been through the process of trying to decide between these two towns? Both school systems seem to have a great reputation, but perhaps Stowe is slightly better? For some reason, Burr and Burton's ratings have dropped over the past year or two. These "ratings" can be misleading though.

Stowe's proximity to towns like Burlington and Montpelier is also a plus. It just seems to be surrounded by nicer areas. Manchester seems to be relatively isolated in that regard.

We love Manchester and were planning on moving there, but after reading about, and visiting Stowe, we've begun to second guess ourselves. They both seem to be great places to raise a family though.

Any impressions regarding how you like living in either of these two towns, and their school systems, would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 11:29 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times
If you have the finances to handle the high taxes, I'd take Stowe. We live over the hill and spend a lot of time there instead of Burlington. Lots to offer, events all summer, a fantastic ski mountain that Vail Operations has taken over (so ski passes are now actually affordable. I'd move to Stowe if I thought I could afford it when I retire

Old 03-15-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
If you have the finances to handle the high taxes, I'd take Stowe. We live over the hill and spend a lot of time there instead of Burlington. Lots to offer, events all summer, a fantastic ski mountain that Vail Operations has taken over (so ski passes are now actually affordable. I'd move to Stowe if I thought I could afford it when I retire
Thanks for chiming in Pamjedlicka. Yeah, skiing is definitely something we love! One thing that's great about the Manchester area is that you have your choice of at least four mountians to ski at. I believe Vail has also purchased Stratton mountain as well. Is Stowe mountain the only nearby option around there?

Old 03-15-2018, 05:14 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Thanks for chiming in Pamjedlicka. Yeah, skiing is definitely something we love! One thing that's great about the Manchester area is that you have your choice of at least four mountians to ski at. I believe Vail has also purchased Stratton mountain as well. Is Stowe mountain the only nearby option around there?
Define "around there"?

Smugglers Notch, Sugarbush and Mad River Glen are all about 45 min. Bolton Valley is more like 30. Jay is an hour. Burke and Killington are both about 1.5hrs. There's probably more within that range that I'm forgetting, but that's at least a lot of the major ones.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:09 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,557 times
If you moved to Waterbury you'd be central to all those mountains.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:48 AM

Nice! Yeah, within an hour is definitely what I'd consider "around there". Thanks for the info.

Anyone have any info regarding the schools?

Old 03-19-2018, 11:41 AM

Anyone have any impression/opinions regarding the school systems?

Old 03-19-2018, 01:27 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,557 times
I don't have kids, so can't tell you specifics, but I know the parents and the community are very involved in the Stowe Schools. Not sure how things might (or might not) change with regards to Act 46 - Stowe and Morrisville are petitioning to run as separate districts instead of merging, but this will require approval from the state. So things could change next year. I know Stowe is very against merging - there is a definite air of 'we're better than they are' about the whole situation.

Waterbury merged into one district last year and our taxes went down and I have to say, it was quite fabulous lol. And it's seen as a positive, not a negative, as they can now equalize programs available to students across the district.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:05 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
On the skiing part, Stowe must average 300+ inches of natural snow per year. Stratton is the best of the lot near Manchester and it gets half the amount with tons of rain events where it's snow at Stowe. In general in Vermont, the farther north you go, the better the skiing. The terrain is steeper because it has always received more snow. It doesn't get crushed with New Yorkers though I haven't been to Stowe since the Epic Pass.

Stowe is something of a professional bedroom town for Chittenden County. UVM Med School / Medical Center physicians live there. A number of GlobalFoundries tech workers live there and commute in to Essex Junction. Plus the trustafarians and self-made affluent flatland refugees who bail out of the urban mayhem.

With the proximity to Burlington and I-89, it kind of makes Stowe a no-brainer if you can afford the housing.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:30 PM

47 posts, read 62,251 times
The Manchester area has excellent schools. It's one of the areas in the state that offers school choice, so you can attend any public or private school up to a per pupil cost of around $18k. There is no public high school in the area and most of the high school kids go to Burr and Burton, although there are other options such as Long Trail School and Stratton Mountain School. Some towns like Winhall, Stratton, and Sandgate offer school choice K-12, so you can take your pick of from the many excellent private schools in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont