Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:43 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

I came across a dead moose carcass this spring and took a video of what I found (don't have time to post it). Literally every square inch of that moose was covered in crawling ticks. That sight will leave your skin crawling for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 05:26 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I came across a dead moose carcass this spring and took a video of what I found (don't have time to post it). Literally every square inch of that moose was covered in crawling ticks. That sight will leave your skin crawling for a while.
Awwww, Bullwinkle!!! Alas, poor Bullwinkle! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath borne me on his back a thousand times, and now, ...

Last edited by harry chickpea; 05-31-2018 at 06:41 PM..

Old 10-02-2019, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 14,091 times
Default Knee-high boots and lavender oil!

We live in Rutland area in a rural home and go hiking daily including off-trail hiking through the underbrush. Our experience has been that if you always wear knee-high boots and use a tick-repellent (we use lavender essential oil) on the boots and a few drops around the legs on your pants, there won't be any issues. Picaridin works too as a repellent, however it's not as harmless as lavender oil. This works for both deer ticks and dog ticks. The one time that I went ten steps into our yard without the boots, I got a tick on me, so I guess we do live in a high infestation area. Hope this helps!

Old 10-08-2019, 07:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Those are winter ticks. Not deer ticks. Not dog ticks. No threat to humans.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:18 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Those are winter ticks. Not deer ticks. Not dog ticks. No threat to humans.
That moose was a variety pack of different ticks. Coincidentally or not it was right after that I began having tick problems on my property and I got lyme disease twice since.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Ticks can be a carrier of many diseases, including https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/c...fact_sheet.htm

I wouldn't trust ANY tick, any more than I would a razor blade in a pig pen. In addition to ticks, I have to deal with chiggers and fire ants. I finally figured out that leggings tucked into socks kept me safe from ticks on my nethers and lower legs that had more pock marks than the moon has craters. The Hindi and Brits were on to something with their puttees. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttee

I keep a two week course of doxy at home, in the event that I do get a tick that attaches more than briefly. I'm not going to waste the important valuable time after first contact waiting to see a doc.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Ticks can be a carrier of many diseases, including https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/c...fact_sheet.htm

I wouldn't trust ANY tick, any more than I would a razor blade in a pig pen. In addition to ticks, I have to deal with chiggers and fire ants. I finally figured out that leggings tucked into socks kept me safe from ticks on my nethers and lower legs that had more pock marks than the moon has craters. The Hindi and Brits were on to something with their puttees. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttee

I keep a two week course of doxy at home, in the event that I do get a tick that attaches more than briefly. I'm not going to waste the important valuable time after first contact waiting to see a doc.

Well that link is to a disease spread by one species of tick (deer tick). I've had lyme a couple of times, it happens with my work and hobbies. But I'm certainly not going to worry about wood ticks, which is almost 98% of what I find on me. When I work on Nantucket I certainly am going to be hyper aware of lone star ticks. I don't see the reason to spread fear though.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:48 PM

The tests for Lyme are not very accurate. You may have been treated for it and not actually had it - or maybe you actually did. Doctors generally are aware that prompt treatment is important as a prophylactic. I've been through that.

I have a friend in Georgia whose life was ruined by Lyme, she is bedridden most of the time at this point. I've done some checking into Lyme, as I did with radon gas, as I did with asbestos. Of the three, IMO, Lyme and the related diseases are by FAR the most dangerous. Not spreading fear, simply suggesting an abundance of caution and readiness to be proactive.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 AM

But again, wood ticks, the far most common tick, doesn't carry lyme. We know this. Being fearful of all ticks is not being "cautious", it's being needlessly fearful, IMO.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:25 AM

But again, I have concerns about diseases other than Lyme as well as Lyme. Fear is an emotion. I have no "fear" of ticks, as some do to spiders and snakes. I have a reasoned caution and have taken precautions rather than ignoring the issue. If you wish to be uncautious, no skin off my nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont