Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
WPTZ is NOT a Vermont newspaper, but a NEW YORK tv station.

Try WCAX.com sheesh.
Just wanted you to know that I watch WCAX news every morning. Sadowski is great with the weather!! Love that vet from Vergennes too. I should have stated that website in my first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 AM

130 posts, read 276,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
I lived in Vermont for 7 years and happen to be conversative...it is liberal. As a conservative I felt "on guard" all of the time.
On guard from what? Did you think a "liberal" was going to jump out from behind a tree and slap a "I love Dean" sticker on your butt?

Really. I amazed at the people that post here that hate VT.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
WCAX is a full hour vs 30 min for the others so I feel you get more news than the other stations.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
WPTZ is NOT a Vermont newspaper, but a NEW YORK tv station.

Try WCAX.com sheesh.
WCAX will also appeal, because of it's long-standing conservative ownership and editorial policy.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
IMHO WPTZ is Plattsburgh/Burlington station while WCAX has been a Vermont tv station for at least the 40 years I have been watching the news. They have also produced many Vermont local shows, WPTZ does none of that. Sure, they both cover both sides of Champlain but WCAX is the Vermont station. I can see where new Vermonters would consider them the same. When I was in HS in the late 60's we got one station, WCAX, not sure if WPTZ even existed then. They produced a show back then on Sunday called Dance Date which was the Vermont version of American Bandstand. It was hokey with a local Vermont band each week but we loved it.

Just for jollies what exactly did you feel you had to be "on guard" for?
To answer your question - You may find it worthwhile looking back at some of the prior posts, MRVphotog.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:55 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Can anyone tell me why WPTZ has about 15 weathermen?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:40 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Can anyone tell me why WPTZ has about 15 weathermen?
They can't agree on what'll happen next with the weather, so they probably figure if they use them all, one of them might be right, once in a while.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:10 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
WPTZ sure does focus on the weather and with their "Supper Doppler 5000" it must require quite the staff Also, regarding the time segment of news WPTZ airs their segment from 5:00 to 7:00 pm, though they repeat much of the same stuff over and over. When I do listen during that time frame I'll catch them first then switch over to WCAX at 6:00. Speaking of news, there was an interesting story covered yesterday where a group of high school seniors visited the state house regarding findings on kids competence on financial literacy which unfortunately is lacking most everywhere. The kids who were most knowledgable credited their understanding to what they learned from their parents and also commented that this is a topic virtually not covered at all in school. It caught the attention of many legislatures so hopefully maybe it will ring the bell to get it into the cirriculum as maybe a life skills requirement. I know over thirty years ago I had it in school along with my parents guidance as well.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:29 PM

198 posts, read 802,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
On guard from what? Did you think a "liberal" was going to jump out from behind a tree and slap a "I love Dean" sticker on your butt?

Really. I amazed at the people that post here that hate VT.
Thank you for reinforcing my point.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 PM

143 posts, read 564,300 times
I'm a 25 year old female that lived in the Craftsbury area a few years ago to attend college, and after just to stay in the area. I came in as a little naive democrat from the midwest and left a more openminded and opinionated near-liberal and I couldn't be more happy with that!

I do agree that it's really hard to make a living around that area unless you're very creative. There aren't that many steady jobs unless you have a specific skill needed in the area. Not to mention that rent, and finding places to rent is expensive. I use to believe that Vermont and the New England area was full of rich older folks, and while there is a fairly nice 'younger' scene around B-town, up North it really is full of older rich folks who can afford to retire there.

And in the area I was living, there is a pretty decent drug culture - Meth I believe was the biggest drug around the Hardwick area. But where isn't Meth a problem honestly!

Anyway, had I been able to find a decent paying job in that area, I'd still be there. The Maple syrup, never having to lock you car doors - or house for that matter, and meeting some of the friendliest hippie-like people I've ever come across. (I've actually woken up to find homemade still warm whole wheat bagels on my front porch after helping a neighbor with some yard work. Doesn't get better than that.

But financial strains insisted I hardened my heart and move away. But I'm headed to Alaska come summer, so life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont