Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:49 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,138 times

Advertisements

NH might be a better fit, a far more conservative state, but despite their
"Live Free or Die" motto, they do have more restrictive gun laws then VT.

Better jobs, cheaper housing, better hunting (IMO) just watch out for the property taxes, they vary town to town and some places they are astronomical.

I have no problem with liberals or conservatives (silly labels btw) but it makes no sense for someone who's already concerned about the social leanings of a state to move there voluntarily.... right?

I love VT, but living right on the border I can take advantage of what NH has to offer as well. I consider myself pretty centrist politically, far-righties and far-lefties get equal eye-rolls from me. But I think MOST folks are centrist, despite what the media and politicians might want you to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
I agree with Sporin.

Most people I meet are middle of the road folks. Very few hippy dippy types (that's okay, I like that sort--I'm kind of one deep down w/out the drug issues..lol). It seems actually more conservative here in my village due to the influx of other people from less liberal states.

We live in Vermont for the views & the 'less crowded' areas (and because out of a fluke we settled here and not in NH). We're only 12 minutes from all that, maybe 20 the most, and then we can go back to our VT after shopping & so on.

However, I prefer NH simply because the jobs & pay seem better there, even only a few miles away. Here in my little enclave you have the megarich or the people scraping by on that amazing $10-12 an hour.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 19,762 times
Burlington to hunt?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 19,762 times
vter, you sound like someone I know.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:19 PM

11 posts, read 24,465 times
Default Franklin county

You may want to move to Franklin County. This is located in the Northwestern part of Vermont. I currently live in Swanton. We are about 40 miles north of Burlington and 9 miles north of St. Albans. St. Albans has just received word that they are about to start building a super wal-mart and a Lowe's. There are many businesses in which to get work in Franklin County and the taxes are lower than Chittenden County where Burlington lies. In Franklin County there are many hunting spots including Montgomery, Fairfield, etc. Gun Laws (what gun laws). The only gun law we have is you can not wear a concealed weapon in Federal; State government buildings and school grounds. The crime rate is very low in Vermont. We have about 8 murders a year and most of them are family related. That is "8" murders in the whole state in a years time. If you ever decide to marry and have children we have some of the best public schools in the nation. Hunting is very big in Franklin County. If you want more information please do not hesitate to email me. wnsbuckley@msn.com

Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,036,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnsbuckley View Post
You may want to move to Franklin County. This is located in the Northwestern part of Vermont. I currently live in Swanton. We are about 40 miles north of Burlington and 9 miles north of St. Albans. St. Albans has just received word that they are about to start building a super wal-mart
Well, you can't have everything.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 PM

198 posts, read 802,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Well, you can't have everything.
There's the typical response I expected when living in Vermont.

Oh, about that walmart....don't get too excited. St. Albans has been down that road over and over and over and over....

Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 AM

110 posts, read 474,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
There's the typical response I expected when living in Vermont.

Oh, about that walmart....don't get too excited. St. Albans has been down that road over and over and over and over....

Exactly....this battle has been going on for over 4 years. The Circ highway has been a battle for over 40 years though, so we may just be getting started in St. Albans.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
I would not be in the least bit surprised if Walmart along with many other major businesses pulls their plans from relocating and operating here. With the economy and especially energy being as shaky as it is now, coupled with our regulatory atmosphere and fiscal policies we will see no economic growth. The upcoming scenario of even more significant spikes in fuel (motor/heating) will only add to the costs of all products and quite frankly there will be no where near the amount of funds necesssary to provide for demand in assistance. Let's hope for the best, but plan now to hunker down for a pretty rough and nasty upcoming year.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
Give me a Target instead of another durned Sprawlmart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont